Homeless Superheroes in L.A.?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Speaking of social issues...

Does anyone in Los Angeles know much about this street culture where homeless people play superheroes for panhandling purposes?
I've heard about it for a while but never saw an outright article until this Guardian piece today:

In Hollywood, superheroes and villains delight crowds – and sleep on the streets
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... rman-joker

Is there anyone out there doing things to help these folks, or can they be helped?
And are there actually homeless women out there pandhandling as superheroines?
Putting feminism aside for a minute, it would seem to be an extra-sad state of affairs to see a homeless Wonder Woman.

Any Angelenos feel like chiming in?

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well this is an interesting story. The quick answer is, rents in L.A. have skyrocketed and how much do you think these characters make in a day, basically panhandling on the street?
I think 5 years ago, they could make ends meet but not now. L.A. is a very expensive city to live in and for what they do they need to stick close to the city. It's not like they can commute in from Apple Valley.
No one is going to do anything mainly because they are there of their own free will. No one is employing them. I don't even know if they're SUPPOSED to be there. These guys get $5 a picture. So most people pass. Their costumes are dirty. They sometimes smell. This isn't a put down, it's just how they are living.

Ironically, the Wonder Woman character does cosplay conventions, I think we've mentioned her here but I can't remember what her name is. I approached her to do WW fetish work but she wasn't interested. She sometimes works with another girl dressed as catwoman and they'll do slightly suggestive poses together.
I played the game once and paid the 5 for a picture with wonder woman and the catwoman girl jumped in the picture at the last sec and then tried to shake me down for 5 each. I said nope and walked away. So the hustle can be strong on the Blvd.

One last thing, some of these guys are a little mentally ill and they think they are the character. The superman guy absolutely thinks he's superman, the character. He takes it way too extreme.

Just my 2 cents.
shevek
Producer
Producer

MH, is this her? Article from 2013 identifies the Hollywood Blvd Wonder Woman as "Jennifer Wenger".
Although in Morgan Spurlock's "Confessions of a Superhero" (about the Hollywood Blvd superheroes) she calls herself Jennifer Garrett.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I thought Jennifer Garrett is in those super hero match up videos where they do Superman vs Thor etc.

I do know there is a sub culture of people including young girls who live out of their cars.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:I thought Jennifer Garrett is in those super hero match up videos where they do Superman vs Thor etc.
That's called Super Power Beat Down, produced on the Bat In the Sun Youtube channel. She is super hot and brutal in that. Yes, it looks from Jennifer Wenger's IMDB that she's in both Confessions of a Superhero *and* Super Power Beat Down, so they are probably the same person.
Mr. X wrote:I do know there is a sub culture of people including young girls who live out of their cars.
Nobody walks in L.A.
Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah that's her for sure. I read my earlier post and said some of these guys are mentally ill, that might've been a little extreme. But some of them do take themselves very seriously, which is why I think they might have some housing issues, they aren't prioritizing correctly.

Apparently Jennifer Wenger has been getting some roles and she doesn't appear to be one of the homeless... I'm assuming she called herself Garrett since she probably didn't want to be known as the Hollywood Wonder Woman at the time. Real Hollywood is weird that way...
shevek
Producer
Producer

It's too bad she turned you down, she looks fantastic in the costume. At least there isn't a homeless Wonder Woman, so that's good.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

shevek wrote:It's too bad she turned you down, she looks fantastic in the costume. At least there isn't a homeless Wonder Woman, so that's good.
Yeah and it was a sharp turn down too..Not like she even thought about it. She didn't catch on that they were fetish at first so she was like, "What kind of movies are they?" and when I explained that she would be tied up that's where it ended. I can't say I blame her but yeah she filled out that costume nicely.
To be honest she seemed a little street hardened and I wonder if she would've been able to portray that innocent quality of Wonder Woman...
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

That's Jennifer Wenger and she's hardly homeless. I think she's engaged to Casper Van Dien. On the other hand, there's a person dressing up as WW in Pittsburgh named Jennifer Blaze who does look homeless
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

avenger wrote:That's Jennifer Wenger and she's hardly homeless. I think she's engaged to Casper Van Dien. On the other hand, there's a person dressing up as WW in Pittsburgh named Jennifer Blaze who does look homeless
Avenger. That was nasty and I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from personal attacks on the producer's actors. Keep it friendly.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

They do this in Vegas as well, but don't think they are homeless and their costumes look top notch. They do the pictures for tips.