Time for some introspection

General discussions about superheroines!
Lordofheroines17

Alright ladies and gents lets all take a look at what we love and why we love it.

Ill start things off with a question:

Why superheroines? Why do you think our fetish is about superheroines in particular?

Im interested to hear your thoughts
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Superheroines are an idealized version of women where because of their powers it's more of a challenge. After all the damsel in distress goes back hundreds of years and is still used in television and movies. This is a more extreme version because they are usually depicted as being able to fight for themselves.

Of course Wonder Woman when it first came out had it seemed about a third of the stories where she got tied up.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Why is always a tough question :/ particularly for me. I mean why would I empathize with 'all powerful' superwomen who are stripped of that power and find it arousing? I know when, I know why as in 'how' and I know whose fault it is (Long story short, tricked into watching some anime hentai stuff when I was WAY to young, dipshit stepdad,) but god help me, I just don't know why. I get why MEN are into this, I don't know why I and other women are. I don't imagine it's altogether a fantastic sign of emotional worth, but I mean, it's fantasy.

My best answer is just basically what I said above, I empathize with and sort of wish I were an idealized statuesque super women (I mean we ALL want to be superheroes :P), and I find the concept of disempowerment sexy (Not 'right' just sexy.) It's probably mostly the 'taboo' of the thing. 'The forbidden'
Lordofheroines17

Femina wrote:Why is always a tough question :/ particularly for me. I mean why would I empathize with 'all powerful' superwomen who are stripped of that power and find it arousing? I know when, I know why as in 'how' and I know whose fault it is (Long story short, tricked into watching some anime hentai stuff when I was WAY to young, dipshit stepdad,) but god help me, I just don't know why. I get why MEN are into this, I don't know why I and other women are. I don't imagine it's altogether a fantastic sign of emotional worth, but I mean, it's fantasy.

My best answer is just basically what I said above, I empathize with and sort of wish I were an idealized statuesque super women (I mean we ALL want to be superheroes :P), and I find the concept of disempowerment sexy (Not 'right' just sexy.) It's probably mostly the 'taboo' of the thing. 'The forbidden'
I think you are spot on. For me its def from the taboo of a superheroine or good losing. Mainstream movies and comics always have the good winning. Add in a strong superheroine with beautiful assets and youve got me hooked. Plus its okay to enjoy the villains once and while. Also serves as a nice what if scenario. I always used to ask well what if this villain won in that scene or that show. Irony is i could never hurt a fly. So i know its not something to feel guilty for its only fantasy.

Its tough to explain i guess. Thanks for sharing guys look forward to hearing more
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think there is the idea the heroine is consciously getting into trouble vs someone just preyed upon. Its a subtle form of implied consent. The job is dangerous and she still does it. Some kidnapped college girl doesn't do it for me but turn that college girl into a superheroine looking for danger and its a lot more fun.
Lordofheroines17

Mr. X wrote:I think there is the idea the heroine is consciously getting into trouble vs someone just preyed upon. Its a subtle form of implied consent. The job is dangerous and she still does it. Some kidnapped college girl doesn't do it for me but turn that college girl into a superheroine looking for danger and its a lot more fun.

Very good point. There is definetly something alluring about a superheroine fighting the feeling and in denial about at least a part of her wanting it. Another reason i thought of is that we also like superheroines because it allows for a variety of different scenarios and fetishes.
tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I suppose our infatuation with superheroines is as individual as we are. Here's mine.

Superheroines are the combination of (1) really hot women in (2) sexy outfits and (3) boots. They (4) willfully insert themselves in danger, which hopefully results in them (5) getting knocked out and (6) becoming a damsel in distress. In an instant, these beautiful and powerful women can be rendered helpless and totally vulnerable.

What I can't explain is why spies (like Diana Rigg as the Avengers' Emma Peel, Yvonne Strahovski of Chuck's Sarah Walker) or spacewomen (Jane Fonda as Barbarella, Erin Gray as Buck Rogers' Col. Wilma Deering) don't quite have the same effect on me.