Better adaptions and remakes

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

There is very little originality lately but there have been some adaptions and remakes better than the original for movies and TV.

Here are mine

TV adaptions
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, failed movie but sucessful show
Highlander- Adrian Paul a better swordsman and the stories were better

Movies
Hnnry the V -Branghas is far better than Oliviers
The Thomas Crown affair Brosnan did a much better job than mcQueen
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 16 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by helstar »

About new productions:

Haven't seen it yet, but it seems that the Percy Jackson tv-series is better than the (hideous) two movies. The producers already confirmed a 2nd season.

I am gonna guess that the incoming Avatar The Last Airbender will be the same. Though the terrible single movie was not the original production (there was a cartoon series before that), if we just consider the live action adaptions, then yes ...
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class
Posts: 217
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by VegaTaxeca »

I'd add Westworld. Not that the movies (Westworld and Futureworld) were bad. They were more than okay for their time, but the tv series was brilliant, thought-provoking television. (And it gave us some great girl-fight scenes. ;) )
User avatar
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: 14 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Femina »

Kick-Ass was a far better film than it was a comic book.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 948
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dogfish »

The Boys is a much better TV show than a comic book. The recent Punisher series was better than a lot of the comics too.
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 95
Joined: 13 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by cannonfodder »

Dredd (2012) > Judge Dredd (1995)
User avatar
joejanus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant
Posts: 180
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: US Pacific

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by joejanus »

Dazzle1 wrote: 4 months ago There is very little originality lately but there have been some adaptions and remakes better than the original for movies and TV.

Here are mine

TV adaptions
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, failed movie but sucessful show
Highlander- Adrian Paul a better swordsman and the stories were better

Movies
Hnnry the V -Branghas is far better than Oliviers
The Thomas Crown affair Brosnan did a much better job than mcQueen
I can't speak to Highlander or Henry V because I haven't seen the remakes, but both Buffy and The Thomas Crown Affair were like entirely different things despite keeping the basic premise. The Buffy case is strange because Whedon did both. Maybe there was corporate meddling in the movie?

As for Thomas Crown, I wouldn't quarrel with the acting on either movie, just the second movie was better written, better production values, better soundtrack (I'm a sucker for Sinnerman in any action scene it seems). It was a gracious touch to have Faye Dunaway come back and do a small but significant part in the remake as a tribute to the first.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

joejanus wrote: 4 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote: 4 months ago There is very little originality lately but there have been some adaptions and remakes better than the original for movies and TV.

Here are mine

TV adaptions
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, failed movie but sucessful show
Highlander- Adrian Paul a better swordsman and the stories were better

Movies
Hnnry the V -Branghas is far better than Oliviers
The Thomas Crown affair Brosnan did a much better job than mcQueen
I can't speak to Highlander or Henry V because I haven't seen the remakes, but both Buffy and The Thomas Crown Affair were like entirely different things despite keeping the basic premise. The Buffy case is strange because Whedon did both. Maybe there was corporate meddling in the movie?

As for Thomas Crown, I wouldn't quarrel with the acting on either movie, just the second movie was better written, better production values, better soundtrack (I'm a sucker for Sinnerman in any action scene it seems). It was a gracious touch to have Faye Dunaway come back and do a small but significant part in the remake as a tribute to the first.
With you on Sinnerman in the final scene
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 793
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by bushwackerbob »

Villeneuve's Dune was tons better than David Lynch's version. I saw Lynch's version not too long ago, it looked cartoonish, the special effects looked rather primitive for 1984.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

bushwackerbob wrote: 4 months ago Villeneuve's Dune was tons better than David Lynch's version. I saw Lynch's version not too long ago, it looked cartoonish, the special effects looked rather primitive for 1984.
Have to disagree

We may have had this disagreement before, so apologies for rehashing

Lynch's version is closer to the book, the acting is far better.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 948
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dogfish »

Lynch's is definitely more interesting visually, and it's weirder. But I think once the pair of Dune movies are out it won't be much of a contest, the new ones have a lot more to them.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

Dogfish wrote: 4 months ago Lynch's is definitely more interesting visually, and it's weirder. But I think once the pair of Dune movies are out it won't be much of a contest, the new ones have a lot more to them.
For me, the question is how close is to the book?

Problem with the new Dune

Paul's character- Paul was never that unsure of himself which is why I say Kyle McCalahan did a far better job
Jason Momoa's Duncan is gregarious in the book Duncan is very a solemn ridgid man, Gurney is the gregarious one
Beast Rabban is a very minor character in the book
There was no meeting with the Rev Mother and the Baron
User avatar
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: 13 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Heroine Addict »

Justified was a much better adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Raylan Givens books than the original TV Movie Pronto.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
User avatar
Freon
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3
Posts: 23
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Freon »

This probably goes without saying but Peter Jackson's LotR movies > Rankin/Bass and Ralph Bakshi animated movies.

I actually kind of dig the Rankin/Bass specials, but they're just not on the same level as the live action movies. Not a fan of how awkward the rotoscoping is for Bakshi's movie, though.
User avatar
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: 13 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Heroine Addict »

I always preferred Hammer's Dracula and Frankenstein films over Universal's.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

Dogfish wrote: 4 months ago Lynch's is definitely more interesting visually, and it's weirder. But I think once the pair of Dune movies are out it won't be much of a contest, the new ones have a lot more to them.
Well Dune 2 is out And I think Lynch is much better, This idea of making Chani a rebel to Paul never happened in the book and Jessica actually urged Paul never to take the religous mantle and not having Alia(except for the dream sequences) and Thufir in the movie is dumb.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 948
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dogfish »

The thing with the Lynch version is that it suggests a better movie would exist, but there's just way too little of it in the back end of the story. I will always love it, but it will always leave me wanting more and feeling like I didn't see enough.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

Dogfish wrote: 3 months ago The thing with the Lynch version is that it suggests a better movie would exist, but there's just way too little of it in the back end of the story. I will always love it, but it will always leave me wanting more and feeling like I didn't see enough.
Did you see the 4 hour extended version

What is interesting is that both Lunch's and Denis versions leave out three important scenes

The banquet scene after the Atredies arrive

Thufir and Lady Jessica confrontation when she finds out that Thufir suspects her of being the Harkonen spy
(Denis passes over that entirely)

Gurney trying to kill Jessica
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 948
Joined: 11 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dogfish »

The Denis version leaves out the sonic weaponry too, but most sadly it leaves out the horniness. Like, when Paul and Jessica escape from the Harkonnens originally, Jessica gets them to fight over her, the Voice is meant to be a suggestion based on desires, not just bossing people around. There's none of that in the new one, even the seduction of Feyd is something of a non-event. I guess they are playing to the censors and wanting a PG-13 rating but it's not a PG-13 story and trying to make it one diminishes it. Dune was basically written in horny jail.

I was left very disappointed by the second part to be honest. Stripped of so much of it's weirdness, horniness and oddities the Denis Dune (I can't spell his surname and would embarrass myself to try) feels like an underwhelming sandy Avatar.

I haven't seen the extended Lynch version either. I have heard that it's a very mixed bag, possibly not the best edit. Am intrigued though because not being 'good' never stopped Lynch being interesting.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 793
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by bushwackerbob »

I know this is most probably just me, but I didn't know of Kyle MacLachlan or his work until I saw MacLachlan in Twin Peaks in the early 90's, and looking at his bio right now I am stunned to learn he was just around 30 years old when he did Twin Peaks, I always thought he looked closer to 40 when he did that show and watching MacLachlan play Paul in Lynch's Dune about 5 years ago, I still saw that 40 year old guy playing Paul Atreides when in actuality he was age appropriate for the role but in my mind I still saw him as 40, Timothy Chalamet seemed to be and look more the part of the young Paul for me. Just my take, but from reading the book, Chalamet seemed to better encapsulate Paul Atreides than MacLachlan. I think like a lot of things, liking one actor over another in the same role can be quite a subjective aspect.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

bushwackerbob wrote: 2 months ago I know this is most probably just me, but I didn't know of Kyle MacLachlan or his work until I saw MacLachlan in Twin Peaks in the early 90's, and looking at his bio right now I am stunned to learn he was just around 30 years old when he did Twin Peaks, I always thought he looked closer to 40 when he did that show and watching MacLachlan play Paul in Lynch's Dune about 5 years ago, I still saw that 40 year old guy playing Paul Atreides when in actuality he was age appropriate for the role but in my mind I still saw him as 40, Timothy Chalamet seemed to be and look more the part of the young Paul for me. Just my take, but from reading the book, Chalamet seemed to better encapsulate Paul Atreides than MacLachlan. I think like a lot of things, liking one actor over another in the same role can be quite a subjective aspect.
That was Kyle MacLachlan's first major role, every other major character in the Lynch movie was fairly well known.

You are right about this being subjective, I see Kyle's potrayal closer to the book but then except for the over the top Baron in Lynch's book , I think the rest of the cast came far closer to the book.
phopho
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3
Posts: 27
Joined: 14 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by phopho »

There have always been incredible remakes. My favorite are Sorcerer, True Grit & Cape Fear which are better than the originals. Close behind are Little Shop of Horrors, the Thing & Scarface also. Does Airplane! count? Lockout? A Fistful of Dollars?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by Dazzle1 »

phopho wrote: 2 months ago There have always been incredible remakes. My favorite are Sorcerer, True Grit & Cape Fear which are better than the originals. Close behind are Little Shop of Horrors, the Thing & Scarface also. Does Airplane! count? Lockout? A Fistful of Dollars?
Don't agree with you on True Grit, but I am a long time John Wayne fan

Fistful of Dollars had a remake?
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class
Posts: 217
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by VegaTaxeca »

It actually is a remake (though unofficially) of the Japanese movie Yojimbo.
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 95
Joined: 13 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by cannonfodder »

Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven. Not better just different.
phopho
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3
Posts: 27
Joined: 14 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by phopho »

VegaTaxeca wrote: 2 months ago It actually is a remake (though unofficially) of the Japanese movie Yojimbo.
Yeah it's a remake of Yojimbo. Kurosawa sued and got a cut of royalties. There was an American remake too called "Last Man Standing".
phopho
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3
Posts: 27
Joined: 14 years ago

Re: Better adaptions and remakes

Post by phopho »

cannonfodder wrote: 2 months ago Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven. Not better just different.
I like Battle Beyond the Stars if we're talking 7 Samurai remakes:

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests