Ideas for Power Ranger Teams

General discussions about superheroines!

Which team sounds the most interesting to you?

Fairy Force
30%
Ultra Rangers
10%
Venus Force
40%
Lucha Rangers
No votes
Rhythmic Rangers
10%
Rock On Rangers
No votes
Aegis Rangers
10%

Total votes: 10
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

It's been a while since I've written any power ranger themed peril and I want to get back into the business. I think I'm pretty good at coming up with teams, but I have trouble narrowing them down. Right now I'm working with over half a dozen concepts so I thought I'd put up a vote and see what people found the most interesting. Also if you just want to talk about potential new team concepts we can do that here too. For as much as I love ninjas and dinosaurs I think the PR genre has plenty without me getting into that space.

A brief summary of the listed teams as they exist in my head currently

Fairy Force: This one would probably be the closest to blending Power Rangers with magical girls. Basically four girls harness the power of the seasons to fend off unseelie fairies that invade our world to harness humans for their magic. I like it because four isn't a super common number for ranger teams. I think Super Sentai has done it once, but I could be wrong.

Ultra Rangers: This is another idea that crosses genre with another popular Japanese hero archetype. A giant alien powered by starlight comes to Earth to protect it from alien invaders only to be ambushed and have her essence divided. Her essence is recovered by the security team sent to investigate her crash landing and she bonds with three women. Basically each woman would have a portion of her power and they can temporarily unite their power to manifest the alien physically. I thought it was an interesting way to still get the giant city fights without dealing with the less erotic combining robots.

Venus Force: If I had to compare the energy of this one to anything I'd say Captain Planet. It's another alien invasion style series, but this time the rangers get their powers from Goddesses of the Earth, Air, Water, Plants, Animals, etc. These girls would have something of a timer on their powers, the creative energies of the Goddesses manifesting as increased "distraction" the longer they fought.

Lucha Rangers: I always had a soft spot for wrestling so this was an obvious choice. A four person ranger team specialized in professional wrestling each one representing a different style of attack, slams, strikes, submission holds and aerial moves. Maybe a fifth evil ranger is introduced at some point with a focus on heel moves like using foreign objects. Monsters of the week would probably be based on other forms of wrestling or martial arts in general, maybe human warriors turned evil, by some magical force.

Rhythmic Rangers: A ranger team based on rhythmic gymnastics. Each girl has her own rhythmic super powered version of a rhythmic gymnastics tool, ribbon, clubs, ball, hula hoop and rope. Probably the smallest of the ranger teams since gymnast are rarely tall women which I think would make a good contrast against larger villains. Haven't settled on a villain team for this one yet, but I'm thinking either another group of alien invaders or maybe a earth born army of cyborgs and androids.

Rock On Rangers: This is a team I already wrote about as part of a quest a few years ago, but I still think about bringing them back sometimes. Imagine Power Rangers meets Jem and the Holograms, but less glam rock, more punk rock. We'd start off with the three person team of guitarist, bassist and drummer, but would add a vocalist and maybe some other instruments as time went on. Their enemy faction would be focused on kidnapping artists of various types and turning them into mind controlled servants.

Aegis Rangers: A defensive themed ranger team with the ability to absorb some of the energy from enemy attacks and send it back at them. I kind of like the idea of the rangers being bigger for this team, either muscular, thicc or straight up BBW. The idea being that a larger body can store more energy to redirect. Each ranger would convert the energy they absorb in different ways, heat/fire, electricity, seismic vibrations, force blasts, force shields etc. Would probably be another team facing off against an alien menace.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ninjas. ALWAYS Ninjas!

But seriously, I vote 'Ultra' rangers. Zords are my least favorite part of the whole thing so... Rangers what can transform into big 'Ultra' characters maintains BOTH the Sentai 'now my monster groooows!' dynamic and maintains a foot in the Japanese inspiration without having to look at the stupid f'kng robots!!!!
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Femina wrote:
4 months ago
Ninjas. ALWAYS Ninjas!

But seriously, I vote 'Ultra' rangers. Zords are my least favorite part of the whole thing so... Rangers what can transform into big 'Ultra' characters maintains BOTH the Sentai 'now my monster groooows!' dynamic and maintains a foot in the Japanese inspiration without having to look at the stupid f'kng robots!!!!
Part of my decision to not do ninjas was because I already knew a certain someone with a ninja themed OC ranger team. But yeah, Megazords aren't great for peril. You can either go the enemy infiltrates the cockpit route, which can be fun, or you need to make an anatomically correct gynoid.