The thief who loved Batgirl

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
canepar
Neophyte
Neophyte

Barbara Gordon was in the library where she worked, tidying up some books. She liked her work and she enjoyed being surrounded by knowledge and culture. She was an intelligent and curious woman, who always wanted to learn more. But she was also a lonely woman. It had been a long time since she had dated anyone and she wanted to meet someone special. Someone who made her feel alive and happy.

Then she saw him come in. He was tall and blond, with a charming smile and blue eyes. Barbara gasped. It was him. It was Mike. Her Mike. Barbara couldn’t believe it. Mike was her boyfriend from high school. The boy who had been her first love and her first kiss. The boy who had disappeared from her life when he moved to another city. Mike saw her and froze. It was her. It was Barbara.
The two looked at each other in astonishment and confusion. They didn’t know what to say or do. They approached slowly and awkwardly greeted each other.

-Hello, Barbara.

-Hi, Mike.

-What are you doing here?

-What are you doing here?

The two laughed nervously. Barbara asked her assistant to replace her and she went to the bar across the street with Mike. They sat at a table and ordered a coffee. They began to talk about their lives, about what they had done and what they had not done.
Barbara told him that she was a librarian and that she liked to read and write. And that she was studying computer science. Mike told her that he was a businessman and that he liked to travel and see new places. He told her that he also liked art and jewelry. The two became intrigued by each other’s hobbies. They could not imagine what was hidden behind them.

Barbara found herself attracted to and curious about Mike. How could Mike be so charming? How could the boy she had loved be so mysterious?
Mike became attracted to and curious about Barbara. How could Barbara be so smart? The two looked at each other with interest and desire. They didn’t know what to say or do. They slowly got up and went out into the street together. They approached each other. They approached the past and the present. They got closer to love.

Barbara noticed that Mike was nervous. She asked him if something was wrong but he said it was nothing.

-Are you sure? Barbara asked – It looks like someone’s after you.

“No, that’s not it,” Mike lied. It’s just that I have a job to do tomorrow and I haven’t started.

“Well, if you need help, you know you can count on me,” Barbara offered.

-Thank you, you’re very kind – Mike thanked her with a forced smile.

What Barbara didn’t know was that Mike was hiding a big secret. He was part of a gang of criminals that was dedicated to robbing jewelry stores and museums. Mike had joined them because of the adrenaline rush of danger, but he soon realized that he had been wrong. The gang was led by a man named Tony, a cruel and ruthless fellow who had no qualms about killing anyone who got in his way. Mike wanted out of that world but he knew Tony wouldn’t let him.

One day Mike found an opportunity to escape. The gang planned to steal a valuable art collection that was on display at the city museum. Mike knew that this robbery was very risky and could end badly. So he decided to contact the police anonymously and give them all the details of the plan. He thus hoped that the gang would be stopped and he could start a new life. But things did not go as expected, the police arrived at the museum ahead of schedule and surprised the gang in the middle of a robbery. A shootout ensued and several members of the gang were injured or killed. Tony managed to escape but not before realizing that someone had betrayed them. And he suspected Mike.

Tony swore revenge on Mike and searched for him throughout the city. He finally tracked him down to the diner where he was with Barbara. Tony called his remaining henchmen and ordered them to go kidnap them. "Don't kill them yet," he told them. "I want to do it myself.”

Tony's henchmen arrived at the diner and waited for Mike and Barbara to come out. They got out of their van and approached the couple by surprise. One of them held a gun to Mike's head, while the other told Barbara to stay still and not do anything stupid.

Barbara was stunned. She couldn't believe what was happening. What had Mike done? She tried to stay calm and think of a way to escape.
The men forced them into the van and drove them to an abandoned pier on the outskirts of the city. There, they climbed the stairway of a dirty old ship with more armed men. They were brought aboard where Tony was waiting for them

"You better tell me where the jewels from the museum are!!!" Tony demanded.

"Honestly, I don't know anything about your jewelry!" Mike replied.

"You're lying, Mike. You probably don't care what happens to you, but maybe your girl isn't that strong."

"You're always bluffing, Tony" Mike challenged.

"Kill her!" Tony ordered.

"No! Wait! I hid the jewelry in the base of the lamp in my apartment!"

While two of Tony's men went to check on Mike's apartment, both hostages were locked in a dark, dank cellar. They noticed that the ship had sailed due to the movement over the sea.

"Mike, I can't believe you're a thief!" Barbara said.

"Don't be afraid, baby. Instead of regretting it, I just forced the cellar door. Leave the ship however you can while I distract them so you can run," Mike ordered.

Barbara ran to hide near the lifeboats. There she opened her bag and took out her suit from the secret compartment. It was Batgirl time!!
She went back to where Mike was, who was confronting two sailors. Batgirl knocked out one of them but the second one threw Mike overboard into the water and ran to tell Tony that the prisoners had escaped.

From the water, Mike began to shout desperately: "Help, Batgirl! Help me! I don't know how to swim!" Without thinking twice, Batgirl took off her cape and jumped into the water. She rushed over to Mike and grabbed his arm. Mike was in a panic and had swallowed too much water. Batgirl swam a mile to shore, carrying Mike in tow.

When she reached the beach, completely tired, she left him on the sand. She gave him mouth-to-mouth breathing and pressed on his chest. After a few seconds, Mike coughed and opened his eyes. Batgirl was glad that he was alive and asked if he was alright. Mike looked at her in amazement and thanked her.

Then Batgirl felt weak and dizzy from all the exertion. She realized that she had expended too much energy saving Mike and that she was exhausted. She staggered and passed out.

Mike got worried. He took her in his arms and caressed her face. Mike couldn't believe it. Her perfume had given her away, and a mask had not fooled him. Batgirl was Barbara Gordon. He didn't know what to do or think. Then he acted on impulse. He removed Batgirl's mask and kissed Barbara on her lips. It was a sweet and nostalgic kiss, full of memories and emotions.

Mike felt that time stopped and that only the two of them existed. After a few seconds, Mike pulled away from Barbara and put the mask back on her. He told her that he was sorry, that he hadn't been able to resist. He told her that he remembered her, that he had missed her, that he still loved her. Then he got up and ran. He did not want to face the consequences of his actions. He didn't want to see Batgirl's reaction when she woke up. He didn't want to complicate things any more than they already were. He walked away from the beach and from Barbara. He stepped away from his past and his present. He walked away from his love.