Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (2022, Marvel)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Believe it or not, this is a thing.

I heard about by accident, when Kevin Feige was interviewed by the Hollywood Reporter about James Gunn taking over DC Studios, and about the legacy of Chadwick Boseman. Feige briefly stated, "We have the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special coming up...", and I went to look for it.

Apparently James Gunn said why doesn't Marvel have a cheesy holiday special like the Star Wars one,
and then he made it happen. I guess if he has that kind of pull, he should definitely be involved in running DC.

Looks like the plot involves Mantis and Drax going to Earth to kidnap Kevin Bacon as a Christmas present
to cheer up Star-Lord, who misses Gamora. Also apparently features Maria Bakalova (the hot Bulgarian girl from the Borat sequel) for some reason, voicing Cosmo the Spacedog.

Comes out Nov 25. It's the final release in the MCU's Phase 4.

Here's the details on the Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guard ... ay_Special

Trailer:

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yet another thing on the list of reasons why I should gouge my eyes out.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Would be cute if Mantis and the robot chic hooked up, for a Christmas miracle!!
jlocke
Sargeant
Sargeant

I love this! I really hope Kevin Bacon ends up playing Star-Lord in an in universe musical/play/movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lord of the Stars! Kevin Bacon as Peter Quill. Michael Flatley as Ronan. No shirt obviously.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I was expecting this to come out after GOTG3. Sweet!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Was kind of fun. Chris Pratt looking old though. Guess he'll be hanging it up after the next movie or two, at most.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Plusses:

1) Steve Engelhardt gets some more big fat checks for Star-Lord and Mantis. As a legendary creator, he deserves it.

2) Guardians is more about the music than any other superhero production. Two selections in particular piqued my interest:
- Great to see The Pogues getting some money to keep Shane McGowan's teeth in good condition. It was interesting to see how they used *two* snippets of his Christmas song, yet deftly avoided the one *nasty* verse in it which has some very politically incorrect verbiage.
- Heartbreaking that Mimi Parker didn't live quite long enough to see Low's "Just Like Christmas" make in into a Marvel property. RIP Minnesota's finest.

3) Pom Klementieff (Mantis) is CUTE. Quirky voice, tight costume, and she's the co-lead. Hope the incidences of "Space Asian" cosplay go way up.

4) Cosmo is fun, too. Marvel has so many goddamn pet mascots at this point. I hope they at least capitalize on the all the potential fluffy merch that can be had.

5) Sexy Captain Marvel and Black Widow cosplayers on Hollywood Boulevard.

Minuses:

Post-religious hypercapitalism. Massive displays of Christmas lights that would put the Griswolds to shame. Tons of presents. Much drinking of alcohol. Meanwhile, a half-second blink-and-miss shot of a creche. So we know exactly what Hollywood *thinks* Christmas is 'about'.
And I think James Gunn baked that into this production. Sure, he just wanted to re-create the childhood magic of the Star Wars Special. But at the same time, he sat down and co-wrote these lyrics with The Old 97s: "I don't what Christmas is, but Christmastime is here." And I think that holds true for much of Hollywood at this point - they look at American culture and values like some sort of outdated, alien relic but hey, it's time to make a buck.

Is this worth your time? There are enough laughs that I would say yes, I guess so. If it had been a full eight-episode series of such stuff, I'd have questioned it entirely.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

To be fair with many western countries keeping refugees in facilities closely akin to concentration camps at this point it's probably best for the corporate media to keep any allusions to the Christmas Story itself under a tight, heavy, lid. Don't want people getting ideas that maybe you should treat displaced folks as humans, it'd ruin the vibe.

It's corpo-Christmas or its nothing I fear.
Damselbinder

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Plusses:

1) Steve Engelhardt gets some more big fat checks for Star-Lord and Mantis. As a legendary creator, he deserves it.

2) Guardians is more about the music than any other superhero production. Two selections in particular piqued my interest:
- Great to see The Pogues getting some money to keep Shane McGowan's teeth in good condition. It was interesting to see how they used *two* snippets of his Christmas song, yet deftly avoided the one *nasty* verse in it which has some very politically incorrect verbiage.
- Heartbreaking that Mimi Parker didn't live quite long enough to see Low's "Just Like Christmas" make in into a Marvel property. RIP Minnesota's finest.

3) Pom Klementieff (Mantis) is CUTE. Quirky voice, tight costume, and she's the co-lead. Hope the incidences of "Space Asian" cosplay go way up.

4) Cosmo is fun, too. Marvel has so many goddamn pet mascots at this point. I hope they at least capitalize on the all the potential fluffy merch that can be had.

5) Sexy Captain Marvel and Black Widow cosplayers on Hollywood Boulevard.

Minuses:

Post-religious hypercapitalism. Massive displays of Christmas lights that would put the Griswolds to shame. Tons of presents. Much drinking of alcohol. Meanwhile, a half-second blink-and-miss shot of a creche. So we know exactly what Hollywood *thinks* Christmas is 'about'.
And I think James Gunn baked that into this production. Sure, he just wanted to re-create the childhood magic of the Star Wars Special. But at the same time, he sat down and co-wrote these lyrics with The Old 97s: "I don't what Christmas is, but Christmastime is here." And I think that holds true for much of Hollywood at this point - they look at American culture and values like some sort of outdated, alien relic but hey, it's time to make a buck.

Is this worth your time? There are enough laughs that I would say yes, I guess so. If it had been a full eight-episode series of such stuff, I'd have questioned it entirely.
Ah yes, that most American thing of all - a deeply religious, non-capitalist Christmas.

Christ, man, go hang out with the eastern patriarchs if it means so much to you.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Ah yes, that most American thing of all - a deeply religious, non-capitalist Christmas.

Christ, man, go hang out with the eastern patriarchs if it means so much to you.
Sorry, but to quote Midge Ure, "This means nothing to me. Ah, Vienna."

You misinterpret: I have no dog in this fight. I never called for devoutness. I was simply noting the tone and nature of the presentation,
which is postmodern cynical hypercapitalist. (i,e, woke corporate capitalism)

By the way, "tens of thousands of people" in America (to quote a funny line from Mantis) celebrate a quite religious version of Christmas. And though I'm not in that camp, I'm always cordial enough to wish everyone a happy holiday, free of human trafficking. To you, as well, sir!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago

Sorry, but to quote Midge Ure, "This means nothing to me. Ah, Vienna."

You misinterpret: I have no dog in this fight. I never called for devoutness. I was simply noting the tone and nature of the presentation,
which is postmodern cynical hypercapitalist. (i,e, woke corporate capitalism, which suffers from innumerable contradictions of cognitive dissonance, such as the 'do as we say, not as we do' complaint that Dogfish voiced above).

By the way, "tens of thousands of people" in America (to quote a funny line from Mantis) celebrate a quite religious version of Christmas. And though I'm not in that camp, I'm always cordial enough to wish everyone a happy holiday, free of human trafficking. To you, as well, sir!