Green Lantern: Beware My Power animated (DC, 2022)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The latest adult animated DC movie just came out: "Green Lantern: Beware My Power", in which John Stewart supplants Hal Jordan
as Earth's main ringbearer (no mention of the other ones like Jessica and Simon).

The movie has received a good amount of criticism from Green Lantern purists for making Hal Jordan into a being of pure evil (not Parallax), instead of having Jordan and Stewart develop a bond of friendship, mutual respect and leadership as in the comics.

The portrayal of Sinestro is off, too: 1) His ears are too big; 2) He doesn't wear the Sinestro Corps 'fear' emblem on his chest like he
does in the comics (see the graphic below - he has a different emblem), and 3) Much of his support team is unfamiliar to comic readers, except for Lyssa Drak. There's also no mention at all of his backstory or of his planet Korugar.

And most of all, the story seems a bit stilted and forced in one direction, plus some of the voice acting is stiff and unemotional, and there are some weird plot jumps (for example, how does a spaceship which has crashed on Earth, destroying houses in the middle of New York City, escape any kind of detection or police for the entire time it takes Stewart to go all the way to the Justice League Watchtower in space and then come back?).

Now, on the good side, to compensate for the lack of a strong story faithful to the comics, and for way too much exposition, we do get some eye candy. The three main female characters in the story are depicted as strikingly beautiful: Vixen, Hawkgirl, and Lyssa Drak. So, you can stop and look at those any time you want.

Plus, the voice actress who does Shayera (Hawkgirl) is new: Jamie Gray Hyder.
She is a very beautiful and fit Lebanese-American who has expressed interest in portraying Hawkgirl in a future Black Adam live-action sequel (provided The Rock's debut does well this year). I hope she gets to do it - she would look amazing in a well-designed Hawkgirl costume featuring a bare midriff.

So - this animated feature isn't a total waste of time, but be prepared for it to drag on incessantly and to violate your expectations about some of the characters, if you're already familiar with them from the comics.
green-lantern-beware-my-power-button-1651770815072.jpg
green-lantern-beware-my-power-button-1651770815072.jpg (181.57 KiB) Viewed 308 times