CW sold for $0 and $100 mil of incurred debt.

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So basically if I sold my car to someone by having them assume the bank note.

Shows how worthless these shows are. Not sure why Nexstar wants them, maybe for the character rights.

Like I said, big Superhero stuff is going the way of Westerns. Its on momentum at this point. I'm not even sure I will go see Love and Thunder especially since the plot was leaked. Some of that CGI looks horrible.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I wonder why things get sold for exactly zero. Tax reasons?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
People stopped carrying around one dollar bills?

It makes is easier for the accountants?

They weren't wiling to pay them to take it?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
Basically Nextstar is buying their debt. CW owners are selling a loss.

More than likely, since Nexstar has money, they will renegotiate that debt and offer some pennies on the dollar. The people owed will get nothing out of the CW owners but at least something out of Nexstar. Kind of like when companies sell credit card debt to collection agencies.

In fact this maybe cheaper for Nextstar than simply buying a profitable company. They get it for $0, the offer $25 mil to pay the debt and now they own all CW properties and licenses.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Puts me to mind of that point a few years ago when the price of oil dropped below zero.

It's an interesting time for superhero stuff, the MCU has peaked, it will never surpass Infinity War. DC are willing to do weird shit with their IPs now because the idea of a coherent DCEU was apparently cursed by an old gypsy woman and will never happen. So we get Joker, we get a Batman movie filmed in complete darkness, we get The Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn and so on.

The CW was never much good. And it was pretty clear that when Disney started doing MCU TV shows on the regular with substantial budgets, and Amazon dropping something like The Boys, DC/HBO had Peacemaker of course, so it was doomed.

Got to recycle those IPs though I guess. Although who'd even want most of them?
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

The CW isn’t worthless, the have some good IPs, poorly executed. I just isn’t worth it for the current owners to keep digging the whole. The buyers are getting good real estate cheap. The CW owners wipe out their debt and walk away free. Nexstar will wipe out the debt cheap and have a dented, but otherwise functional brand. They will make money just by streaming the old library of shows and retool the line-up. The arrowverse was getting stale.

They may keep some of it and go darker for a more mature audience. But they have a fully functioning network on the cheap, probably capable of delivering 20-25 hrs of prime time a week and are not dragging around $100 million in debt. They’ll restructure, and dump fresh cash in.

People sell cars not because they are ready for the scrap yard, they sell them because they don’t want to put the money into them any more. Nexstar will clean house put in some money to fix the problems the old owners could or wouldn’t fix.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
It was bought for $100 million. This was a better deal than a debt restructuring in bankruptcy
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Perhaps the audience just isn't there for CW shows. Trying to target today's youth with a trite superhero show is a difficult task. Seems like the genre needs to either go the way Netflix took Daredevil and Punisher with a more realistic and grittier take on the characters, or go the way of Disney and go with huge intertwined storylines. Maybe the genre needs to take a closer look at who will consume their products.
I think Supergirl was a big hit because Melissa Benoist looked great in the Supergirl outfit (until they went with a more reasonable costume for the actress but a less enticing outfit for the audience). Having attractive superheroines in sexy outfits works, though the storylines need to have merit as well. Stop hiding the actors and actresses in unflattering outfits and write something without cheesy dialogue and trite plots.

I'll admit this post is quite oversimplified.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Sounds like the shows that people actually watch on the CW will continue for now, such as The Flash, Superman and Lois, and Star Girl. Other than that the rest is toast. Sad to see it. Feels like the contraction of the Superhero genre is underway.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

i like the show cant wait to see what they do next