No more DC at San Diego Comiccon

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Clownfish talks about how DC will not be doing huge booths/displays etc at comiccon. They will have some desks for people to meet authors and such but that's all. They also discuss the Pittsburgh comics scene and how its become more of a pop culture scene and celebrities from shows unrelated to comics. $25 mil for a comiccon and what does it get them? So I can see not going. Simply put Warner is not into comics.

Now its unclear if this is no more DC movie presence. This appears to be comic book only related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago

Clownfish talks about how DC will not be doing huge booths/displays etc at comiccon. They will have some desks for people to meet authors and such but that's all. They also discuss the Pittsburgh comics scene and how its become more of a pop culture scene and celebrities from shows unrelated to comics. $25 mil for a comiccon and what does it get them? So I can see not going. Simply put Warner is not into comics.

Now its unclear if this is no more DC movie presence. This appears to be comic book only related.
I thought DC had already pulled out of San Diego a while back. This overall doesn't seem to be much of a surprise.

But I listened to the part about Pittsburgh, and Kneon (of Clownfish) is not speaking accurately...I'm not a fan of how he just threw Pittsburgh under the bus. Yes, Pittsburgh used to have a legendary Pittsburgh Comicon which attracted major creators. But the reason that ended was literally *murder* - the Comicon owner, Michael, murdered his first wife, Barbara. Then his second wife, Renee (who still to this day owns a comic shop in a far Pittsburgh suburb) tried to keep the Comicon going but couldn't, and the whole thing was bought out by Wizard World and run into the ground.

First of all, we have a very active comic shop community, with over a dozen stores (most of which carry Heroineburgh!). None of them closed during the pandemic - in fact, a couple more opened during the past year.

And with regards to his off-handed comment about "Brady Bunch/National Lampoon" pop culture taking over, that's only applicable to Steel City Con, which three times a year tries to fill the "vacuum" that Pittsburgh Comicon left behind with a mass of pop culture attractions. If that were the only Con left, I could see Kneon's point,and he'd be totally right. But *he knows that it's not the case*.

There is Three Rivers Comicon, which has been running for five years, and is extremely creator-centric, run by the owners of the local comic shop chain, New Dimension. We had a super great time at 3RC this year. Then there is Sci-Fi Valley in Altoona PA, which has been going for several years, and we also had a great time there. And if that's not enough, in Pittsburgh there's a yearly horror convention (Horror Realm), a yearly pulp fiction convention (Pulp Fest), a yearly sci-fi convention (Confluence), a yearly Supernatural convention (MementoCon), a yearly anime/manga event (TekkoshoCon), and a furry convention (AnthroCon).

So, there are ELEVEN geek-culture events per year in our region, every one having a slightly different focus. And they're all well-attended. There is no shortage of interest here in such thing, and if Kneon claims otherwise, then he's either ill-informed (which I find hard to believe given how plugged-in he and Geeky are to the media) or willfully talking out of turn.

Just my two cents. You knew I was going to say something. :)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Just my two cents. You knew I was going to say something. :)
:giggle:
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

A very cogent and illustrative post about the Pittsburgh subculture. Thanks, Shevek. That's why it's so hard to call you out for going overboard in some of your posts. Because you're often the source of useful and interesting information. Yeah, a backhanded compliment I know.

:D
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DC pulling out of anything just sounds so dirty and leaves me with a used feeling 😃
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
1 year ago
DC pulling out of anything just sounds so dirty and leaves me with a used feeling 😃
Its definitely a sloppy pull out, like we did in Afghanistan (ducks). :giggle:
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
1 year ago
Its definitely a sloppy pull out, like we did in Afghanistan (ducks). :giggle:
Like leaving them on the Planet of the GAPES!!! Hopefully they put a cherry 🍒 on top of that creampie!