Ncuti Gatwa cast as the new Dr Who

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Damselbinder

(yes I know the character is just called the Doctor)

A very fun actor, with some great comic chops; if you know him you probably know him from Sex Education. Russell T. Davies knows how to pick his leads, so I'm confident this is the start of a new good era. I am pretty excited.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

A very fun actor, with some great comic chops; if you know him you probably know him from Sex Education. Russell T. Davies knows how to pick his leads, so I'm confident this is the start of a new good era. I am pretty excited.

I have not seen him, but reports seem to mirror your comments.

Although I would say Davies has a mixed track record in his casting. Tennant great, Eccelston awful
Damselbinder

Christopher Eccleston "awful"?

...explain?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

...explain?
He was never invested in the character, at least for me his tenure never said this is the Doctor. As much as I have trashed both Colin Baker and Peter Calpaldi you believed they were playing the Doctor
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

...explain?
He was never invested in the character, at least for me his tenure never said this is the Doctor. As much as I have trashed both Colin Baker and Peter Calpaldi you believed they were playing the Doctor
The other issue I have is people saying Russell Davies was a great show runner. I felt he was no better than John Nathan Turner, better than Chibnal; but most fan fiction writers could do a better job than Chibnal.
Baralton
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

I am not familiar with the actor, but this is going to be interesting, especially if it is the return to a much more fun Doctor Who.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Separate from Gatwa will Davies ignore everything Chibnal did wrong.

Forget the Stolen Child, get a useful companion(aka Martha Jones or Sarah Janes Smith) No Wokeness
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
He was never invested in the character, at least for me his tenure never said this is the Doctor. As much as I have trashed ........ Peter Calpaldi you believed they were playing the Doctor
ah, the sickening anti scottish bias of the team brexit fuck at TUSF rears it's ugly head once again!

Capaldi was (is) great but was given nothing to work with, the fear episode was great but was rug pulled in the final scene to make it ...meh.

and now you navel gazing he bitches are huffing and puffing about another scot getting a shot? you ungrateful fucks! We'll never stop till we get our flag on this fascist excuse for a forum!

(also, you do know that Tally is actually Russel T(allyhoe) Davis right?)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
He was never invested in the character, at least for me his tenure never said this is the Doctor. As much as I have trashed ........ Peter Calpaldi you believed they were playing the Doctor
ah, the sickening anti scottish bias of the team brexit fuck at TUSF rears it's ugly head once again!

Capaldi was (is) great but was given nothing to work with, the fear episode was great but was rug pulled in the final scene to make it ...meh.

and now you navel gazing he bitches are huffing and puffing about another scot getting a shot? you ungrateful fucks! We'll never stop till we get our flag on this fascist excuse for a forum!

(also, you do know that Tally is actually Russel T(allyhoe) Davis right?)
Not sure what your point is or what Brexit has to do with this?

Is Gatwa Scottish?
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Is Gatwa Scottish?
as a deep fried haggis wrapped in bagpipes and used to stab someone over the price of a night bus

just listen to him speak (granted its an abominable east coast teuchter twang!)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Is Gatwa Scottish?
as a deep fried haggis wrapped in bagpipes and used to stab someone over the price of a night bus

just listen to him speak (granted its an abominable east coast teuchter twang!)
As I wrote, I have not seen him in anything. The only actors I saw prior to their Doctor apperance are Davison(Creatures great and small, Colin Baker and Calpaldi from their guest shots in DW).

Back to the subject.

Davies has to learn from his many failures as showrunner. With the exception of Tennant and the Martha Jones character it's not that great
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Why do people think this is going to change?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
It will change and be better if no other reason that Chibnall is gone.

But the question is will it be enough?

I am biased but there was never a moment in the Davies tenure that is anyone close to the best of Tom Baker, John Pewtree or Patrick Troughton
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Why do people think what is going to change?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
The whole show.
Davies has to learn from his many failures as showrunner. With the exception of Tennant and the Martha Jones character it's not that great
What makes people think anything is going to change.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
The whole show.
What makes people think anything is going to change.
Because the incompetent cunt running the show is being canned, and they're bringing in the guy that started the revival and under whom the show was fucking fantastic.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Because the incompetent cunt running the show is being canned, and they're bringing in the guy that started the revival and under whom the show was fucking fantastic.
And again why does this mean a change? What makes anyone think the bad ideas that influence the bad decisions will go away or can go away. Are the plots going to get magically better?
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
And again why does this mean a change? What makes anyone think the bad ideas that influence the bad decisions will go away or can go away. Are the plots going to get magically better?
...because different people will be writing the show? The show was bad because of the idiots writing it. With new writers it may become better. That's happened many, many times over the years of Dr Who.

Am I missing something here?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

...because different people will be writing the show? The show was bad because of the idiots writing it. With new writers it may become better. That's happened many, many times over the years of Dr Who.

We haven't seen this happen yet and the fact they went with another diversity hire, down the same path as before, tells me nothing is really going to change. They may crank back some "messaging" but what writers did they bring in that will write differently than the last group who graduated from the same kind of writing schools. If all the puppies come from the same puppy mill it doesn't matter if you swap puppies.

Sorry but I'm too burned out. I don't believe things will change or get better.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

We haven't seen this happen yet and the fact they went with another diversity hire, down the same path as before, tells me nothing is really going to change. They may crank back some "messaging" but what writers did they bring in that will write differently than the last group who graduated from the same kind of writing schools. If all the puppies come from the same puppy mill it doesn't matter if you swap puppies.

"Another diversity hire."

Okay.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

Okay.
C'mon. this was the argument you were fishing for wasn't it. Back to the same game. Stuff a cat into a bag of dogs, hope a fight breaks out then be proud you've exposed the hidden bigotry in the room. Again the same old busted game. Nothing has changed. Its fishing for fights... activism.
Damselbinder

If I was fishing for an argument, I would have argued. I made this thread because I was genuinely excited about Dr Who for the first time in a while. I desperately hoped that it WOULDN'T turn out like this. I don't want a game. I hate arguing with you.

Go ahead, X. The thread is yours. I won't reply in it again.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Right or Wrong, Gatwa will be seen by some as a diversity hire

Although there was not such an outside push by non fans to have a non white Doctor as they was by left wing non science fictions or fringe groups to have a female Doctor, or a showrunner whose contract included I get to ruin Doctor Who by scrapping 50 years of canon
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Right or Wrong, Gatwa will be seen by some as a diversity hire

Although there was not such an outside push by non fans to have a non white Doctor as they was by left wing non science factions or fringe groups like the Mary Sue to have a female Doctor, or a showrunner whose contract included I get to ruin Doctor Who by scrapping 50 years of canon
ltrltr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ten and Donna returning next year.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ltrltr wrote:
1 year ago

Ten and Donna returning next year.
Why do we have to have the return of one the worst companions: Donna Noble
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I heard the new sidekick is going to be Dr Pimple Popper. Image
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Again with this shit! I guess Mr X is one of those smooth brains that calls the UK England and gets pissy when people don't sound like they've got a corgi stuffed up their arse!
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maybe we will get some hot interracial sexual tension between him and say a new petite white blonde companion, a little playful arousal on her part imagining being taken out of this world by the Doctor
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
I do have to question the guy's fashion sense
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
I do have to question the guy's fashion sense
He's got a sort of Sammy Davis Jr in Space vibe going on. I can appreciate he's doing his own thing. I just wish he'd try Clearasil.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Clownfish TV has a good point on a video and one I agree with.

they have to ignore or not ack The Timeless Children thread which retcons the 50 year history
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Clownfish TV has a good point on a video and one I agree with.

they have to ignore or not ack The Timeless Children thread which retcons the 50 year history
Yes that story has to go. I would have liked it if the doctor just died with Capaldi and he had taken on a Galefray assistant who he mind transfers a lot of his memories too before he died and then that person could be a she and they have 12 regens. Then they can relearn about the other races and get flash back visions from the past doctors. I'm all for a tasteful replacement.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The thing I don't get is why the Doctor is supposed to be old. They get twelve regenerations, in theory, in practice they burn through them at mad pace.
Damselbinder

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
The thing I don't get is why the Doctor is supposed to be old. They get twelve regenerations, in theory, in practice they burn through them at mad pace.
Occasionally the show will go out of its way to indicate how old the Doctor is. We know that he spent a very long time as the first Doctor because he looked like an old man, and we know that form started as a child, obviously, so he was in that form for centuries.

We know he was in the seventh Doctor's body for a long time because just before he regenerated he said he was "coming to the end" of his seventh life - again implying he'd been in it for a long time.

We can reasonably assume he was in the eighth Doctor's body for a while because, again, he started as a very young man, and by the time he regenerated he looked on the far side of middle age.

Again, we know he was the War Doctor for a long time because he started young, and ended old. That again would mean centuries.

The Eleventh Doctor had TWO occasions which showed just how long he was in that form: the first was between his first two seasons, where he went from 900-and-something to being 1100 years old. Then again, in his finale, he stays in one place growing old for hundreds and hundreds of years, putting the Doctor well over 2000.

There's a general fan consensus that the other forms of the Doctor probably had fairly long lives too, we just didn't see most of them. The only one we pretty much know for sure was short lived was the Tenth Doctor, who confirmed a couple of times that he'd only aged a couple of years since first regenerating; so he wasn't in that body for very long.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

ivandobsky wrote:
1 year ago
This is a space show. The Doctor has to hearts. That might be a third nipple (that lactates cream cheese :sick: )
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Occasionally the show will go out of its way to indicate how old the Doctor is. We know that he spent a very long time as the first Doctor because he looked like an old man, and we know that form started as a child, obviously, so he was in that form for centuries.

We know he was in the seventh Doctor's body for a long time because just before he regenerated he said he was "coming to the end" of his seventh life - again implying he'd been in it for a long time.

We can reasonably assume he was in the eighth Doctor's body for a while because, again, he started as a very young man, and by the time he regenerated he looked on the far side of middle age.

Again, we know he was the War Doctor for a long time because he started young, and ended old. That again would mean centuries.

The Eleventh Doctor had TWO occasions which showed just how long he was in that form: the first was between his first two seasons, where he went from 900-and-something to being 1100 years old. Then again, in his finale, he stays in one place growing old for hundreds and hundreds of years, putting the Doctor well over 2000.

There's a general fan consensus that the other forms of the Doctor probably had fairly long lives too, we just didn't see most of them. The only one we pretty much know for sure was short lived was the Tenth Doctor, who confirmed a couple of times that he'd only aged a couple of years since first regenerating; so he wasn't in that body for very long.
We can surmise the Third Doctor's lifespan was shorter because he was stuck on earth and even after he regained use of the TARIS there was very few uniteruppted times

Four on the other hand has the time between the Deadly Assassin and meeting Leela, where the impression is given that he visited her planet in the past and between the Sontaran invasion of Gallifrey and starting the quest for the Key to Time. And with Romana being Gallifrean and both having equally long lives they could have traveled centuries together
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think he could still be someone who infinitely regenerates but he can only remember about 11 lives back. So the first doctor would fall out of memory at some point
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
I think he could still be someone who infinitely regenerates but he can only remember about 11 lives back. So the first doctor would fall out of memory at some point
It's more that they ran into a regeneration limit from previous stories and needed a way to break it so they could cast new actors for the role. So they added a past black woman as the Doctor and the Timeless Child plot to show there were more regenerations. Plus some mumbo jumbo about removed memories of these past lives in the Flux story.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

"But why will it change?"

"Because there's a new showrunner."

"Because there's new writer's."

I think the Mr. X record broke..... then reset to default.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
Because we're dealing with a broken record.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There seems to be only one way to avoid accusations of "diversity hiring" and that's to have a straight, white, able-bodied man as the Doctor.

Hell, even the hiring of Nadia Albina as a supporting character had the Infowars-adjacent neckbeards howling about "diversity" because she just happened to have one arm. Even though her disability had no impact on the plot. (A plot which was admittedly a bit shit for reasons that had nothing to do with diversity.)
Last edited by Heroine Addict 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This is obviously a touchy subject. As I see it, the way to have avoided accusations of "diversity hiring" was never to have mandated diversity hiring. Using President Biden's statement of only nominating a black woman for a Supreme Court opening as an example, had Biden just done so without suggesting he would eliminate 94% of all candidates--excluding all males and any other races from contention--he would have avoided the suggestion of diversity hiring.

But looking forward, it seems that accusations of diversity hiring will diminish if the best candidates (which, admittedly, in some cases is certainly difficult to qualify) are given the position and if the performances by those hired are good. The best candidates are, of course, of any diverse group or non-diverse group. It is and should always be about ability, not someone being black or white or any other race. It seems to be why sports are at the forefront of positive social change--teams cannot afford to prioritize diversity over ability.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Except TV casting of a specific character isn't a process which is open to anyone. The writer/showrunner will generally decide in advance if their new character will be an Asian woman or Black man, for example. For all intents and purposes, a new incarnation of the Doctor is essentially a new character and a narrow group of applicants will be considered.

The process of regeneration is only a lottery on-screen. In the real world, the type of Doctor will most likely have been written before the role is cast.

And maybe RTD thought "Let's cast a black guy this time!" So what? It's not as if it was an open-to-all selection process on all the previous occasions.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
1 year ago
Except TV casting of a specific character isn't a process which is open to anyone. The writer/showrunner will generally decide in advance if their new character will be an Asian woman or Black man, for example. For all intents and purposes, a new incarnation of the Doctor is essentially a new character and a narrow group of applicants will be considered.

The process of regeneration is only a lottery on-screen. In the real world, the type of Doctor will most likely have been written before the role is cast.

And maybe RTD thought "Let's cast a black guy this time!" So what? It's not as if it was an open-to-all selection process on all the previous occasions.
That makes sense too. I was just responding in a general sense. Dave Chappelle made a brief point about casting in one of his skits on The Chappelle Show.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
1 year ago

That makes sense too. I was just responding in a general sense. Dave Chappelle made a brief point about casting in one of his skits on The Chappelle Show.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Femina wrote:
1 year ago
Because we're dealing with a broken record.
Nah, you started this one man. It's on the page. "Why: Answer. Why: Answer. Why: Answer. Why: Answer? Oh but diversity hiring bleah!"

You were basically a fishermen with the hook waiting for the answer to be 'because this time the Doctor will be black!" so that you could go "AHA! I GOT YOU!" but when the answers were all relevant film business explanations you just reverted to the same tired complaint and blamed it on everyone else with the ol' 'but this is what you wanted!!!'

This will be my last post on the topic.