Corrective Measures (2022, Tubi)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Sorry, Mr. X, but the "superhero genre" is not "dying". It just keeps coming, relentlessly.

The latest entry is the movie "Corrective Measures" which debuted yesterday on the free streaming service Tubi, so anyone can watch it.

It is a true "comic book film", given that it was written and directed (in a directorial debut!) by Sean O'Reilly, head of the Canadian comic book company Arcana. However, what's interesting is that all during its existence, Arcana has never actually published a superhero comic.

The story takes place almost entirely in a men's prison for super-powered inmates. As such, there's a limited amount of prominent female characters in the story (one is the warden's assistant, one is a prison guard, and one is the prison doctor), so it really seemed like those characters were added wherever they could find an open narrative space.

The two female characters you may find appealing are Morales - the Asian/Hispanic (Filipina?) prison guard who has super strength.
She is able to pound an inmate so hard as to kill him by crushing his skull to a bloody pulp, so that's probably the 'hottest' scene in the movie. The prison doctor is played by a Canadian singer-songwriter who is a very beautiful brunette - she forms a friendship (although not a romance) with a "newbie" inmate.

But the real meat here comes in the three actors who have considerable superhero experience of their own:
- Bruce Willis plays the mentally superpowered mastermind "The Lobe" (and of course everyone knows him from the Shyamalan 'Unbreakable' trilogy).
- Daniel Cudmore is a super-tough inmate named 'Diamond Jim', not too different from when he played Colossus in three of the X-Men films (he was also supposed to appear in Dark Phoenix but I think that got cut).
- And of course, the quirky Tom Cavanaugh who plays all the various Harrison Wells permutations in The Flash TV show. Here, he is a quietly scheming villain called 'The Conductor', who takes electricity from power circuits and shoot lighting bolts from his hands.

I think it's a promising debut for O'Reilly. Lots of good special FX and tons of fighting. If you're a fan of the prison film genre but with a superhero twist, you'll appreciate it. There's also plenty of setup points for a possible sequel.

Photo: the sultry Kat Ruston (looks like a young Tia Carrere!) plays the super-strong prison guard Morales in 'Corrective Measures'. Too bad that in the film she doesn't look like this - she has her hair tied back in a no-nonsense braid, and wears a standard police style uniform.

What's interesting is that she broke into the business as a lighting technician/rigger, and though her actress resume is short so far (mainly consisting of playing a Royal Guard in several episodes of 'The 100'), she has experienced working the lights on Superman & Lois, Snowpiercer, Riverdale, Deadpool 2, Altered Carbon, Power Rangers, Legion and Arrow! Here's hoping she pivots a lot more to acting.

But her fighting moves are great: perhaps we'll see her soon in a tighter costume on a superhero show of some sort?
kat ruston.jpg
kat ruston.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 681 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Here's a trailer for the "Corrective Measures" movie on Tubi.
It's getting a few harsh comments on Youtube, but that's typical.

Some small corrections to what I posted about Arcana Comics in Canada. (things I could not find out from their Wikipedia page)

My friend Marvin at one point had pitched his superhero comic series to Arcana, but had some friction with the person who was supposed to be the editor - apparently, the editor wanted to make tons of changes to the story, so Marvin decided not go with Arcana.

But what Marvin also told me is that
1) Arcana *did* have superhero titles (perhaps they were not well publicized) at one point.
and
2) Arcana is now defunct as a publisher..or at least they haven't put out any books in a while. Which means its former head Sean O'Reilly is trying something different by pivoting to movies: helming this Tubi movie, and doing some animation stuff.

Just for clarification.
Damselbinder

Ohhhhh this is another one of those cheap Brucesploitation movies. Destined for a 40-in-one DVD collection with a "for father's day" sticker slapped on it at your local Wal-Mart.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NO BRUCE WILLIS!

This is elder abuse. It already been pointed out the man has mental illness issues and is merely being exploited. More than likely he will have little dialog, have an ear piece, be green screened into scenes, slur his lines, have no emotions etc. He is just being used to make money. I suspect he already had mental health issues when he did Unbreakable 2 given his lack of scenes and lines.

I suspect, given Angelina Jolie's wooden performance in Eternals, she too is being used in this manner.

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

What would happen if this film inflicted any harm on Bruce? It is my understanding that in the United States there are no "common law" crimes, each state's criminal law is determined by that state's legislature. I have found Penal Code 368 (California), where elder abuse is punishable by 2 to 4 years in prison.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

argento wrote:
1 year ago
What would happen if this film inflicted any harm on Bruce? It is my understanding that in the United States there are no "common law" crimes, each state's criminal law is determined by that state's legislature. I have found Penal Code 368 (California), where elder abuse is punishable by 2 to 4 years in prison.
Its more about taking advantage of a guy for his name. He's clearly dysfunctional and has mental health issues due to age, possibly dementia. Maybe he, himself decided to make as many movies as he can before he retires to get money but he already has money.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
argento wrote:
1 year ago
Its more about taking advantage of a guy for his name. He's clearly dysfunctional and has mental health issues due to age, possibly dementia. Maybe he, himself decided to make as many movies as he can before he retires to get money but he already has money.
It is abuse and it is a crime
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

At this point you could hire him for a kids birth day party
shevek
Producer
Producer

Sorry, but other than a bit of the Depp/Heard stuff I haven't been following anything from any celebrities, so I was unaware of the Bruce Willis situation. He does have a fair amount of dialogue in this movie, though.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I've not heard anything about mental health issues for Bruce Willis.

What I have heard is that he is somewhat mercurial as an actor. If you can give him a good script, and get him engaged, he'll give you a great performance. But much of the time, he ends up taking on acting parts that frankly bore him, just to keep working and stay in the public eye. And when that happens, you get a performance that is just Bruce Willis doing Bruce Willis. I wouldn't say he phones it in, but he can more or less do his tough guy routine by rote, and sometimes he does.