Another new superhero universe is Ascendant

shevek
Producer
Producer

Creators are coming out of the woodwork to bring back the classic aesthetics and storytelling to comics, challenging Marvel and DC at their own game.

The latest entry in this sweepstakes is the Ascendant Universe from North Carolina. Starting out as a popular Role Playing Game,
they are now funding their first graphic novel on Indiegogo, and if you hanker for 80s and 90s-style art and bombastically hot heroines, they have three for you so far: the fabulous Aurora, the dominatrix-ish Stiletto, and the sexy scientist-with-a-miniskirt Doctor Quantum. (As far as design, maybe think Atom Eve, Barb Wire, and Miss Martian).

Also the whole trope of "government loses control of superhumans it created" will remind you of such icons as X-Men or DNAgents, among others.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asce ... 18710954#/

What's not to enjoy? After reading about the campaign in a certain online publication, I backed this pretty quickly. The cosplay cover seemed a bit too over-the-top, so I went with the classic 'patriotic' cover.

Anyway...such initiative should be encouraged. If you are enjoying Blue Bombshell, Arachna, Kamen America, Firebitch, and also Gabe Eltaeb's Truth Justice & American Way, and Mandy Summers' Gemshock (I'll make a thread about that soon after I back it next week - that book is so 90s, it hurts!) you may want to make this your next move.

Aurora with American Eagle. Nice!
ascendant heroes 1.jpg
ascendant heroes 1.jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
"Patriotic" cover showing Aurora and Stiletto.
ascendant squadron.png
ascendant squadron.png (1 MiB) Viewed 1159 times
Interior page showing Stiletto and Doctor Quantum.
ascendant squadron page.jpg
ascendant squadron page.jpg (173.17 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Competition is always a good thing.

And as many of the D.C and Marvel writers seem to be contempous of fans, a alternative is good
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This looks great. I finally bit the bullet and got a indiegogo account!
shevek
Producer
Producer

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
This looks great. I finally bit the bullet and got a indiegogo account!
Good choice, Ivan!

Here's an update I just got from the Ascendant campaign.
The email included an interview with Mel Joy San Juan, the Filipina artist who is the lead penciler/inker for the book.
She seemed overjoyed (no pun intended) to be working on the title, and proud to be drawing beautiful female characters
(she even mentioned that she walked around in very high heels for a day, to feel what it was like to be 'Stilletto').

Here are three updated pages that the creator sent in the update.

I have to say, the dialogue is very funny and on point, addressing many of the tropes of the comic book industry
and superhero genre (tokenism, fan service, bad-girl characters, etc.) in ways that not even The Boys has really touched.
The rivalry between the two lead women is very hot, and hopefully will develop into an ongoing thread in the series.

And Batgirl1969...couldn't you see a steamy relationship develop between the cute anime scientist girl in the miniskirt
(Doctor Quantum) and the bad-girl goth chick (Stiletto)? "I like your costume" seems like a bit of initial flirting, no?

Anyway, enough with the fan-fiction....if you like what Ascendant is cooking, back the Indiegogo today. I get nothing out of saying this - it's a just really fun title so far.
Ascendant 1.jpg
Ascendant 1.jpg (198.53 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Ascendant 2.jpg
Ascendant 2.jpg (210.11 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Ascendant 3.jpg
Ascendant 3.jpg (199.3 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Damselbinder

The art is nice. The dialogue seems to mistake acknowledgement of genre for wit, however
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shevek, yes I can see lots of opportunities for some kinky encounters here!! The token goth girl has secret plans to get the blonde fan service girl laid by the bad boy from the hood...it's going to be a giant love fest!!!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Looks like Ascendant is about to fulfill! Here's the Youtube clip showing all the variant covers have arrived.
I'll post again when I get the book. Hopefully Ivan will get it too, as well as anyone else who signed up on the campaign.