Ghost Cat and the Stolen Shadows

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

This is an old character name and a powerset I had sitting around for at least a couple of years now, but never did anything with. Suddenly felt inspired and knocked out this first part this morning. Introducing Ghost Cat, the Cougar spirit powered Cougar.

This first post doesn’t have much in the way of peril or smut. Future updates will contain knockouts, bondage and sexual torture/edging so read as you like. Any feedback is appreciated.

Anna Beaumont sat in her living room nursing her third glass of wine as she desperately tried to drown her worries. It had been little more than a month ago that she’d been filled with excitement. While she was somewhat sad to see her daughter Sarah headed off to college there was anticipation for a bit of prolonged privacy after eighteen years of childrearing, five of which she’d done as a single parent. But even with a home to herself she still wanted to hear from her daughter, to know she was enjoying her classes, making new friends, getting to be her own woman for once as well and for a week or two she got just that.

Then she got nothing, no calls, no voicemails, not even a text. She tried not to worry at first, to allow her daughter some time to be herself, but when even her social media profiles went silent Anna knew something was wrong. She visited the campus herself, put in a report with the local police department, but she found no clues there and had little to give them in the way of leads.

All she could do is sit and pray that she showed up, but the closest thing Anna knew to a God was something she wanted nothing to do with.

But that didn’t mean it wanted nothing to do with her.

After her forth glass of wine and exhaustion finally closed her eyes, she found herself having a familiar dream. In her dream she was naked, her shapely figure exposed for all to see. At thirty-eight years old she still had a pretty face framed by long black hair and bearing enchanting grey eyes. She bore a full figure with large pale breast and childbearing hips. Her rather sedentary career as a writer had added a few pounds to her waistline, but not enough to stop her from turning heads as she went about her day.

Her naked form stood on a mountain surrounded by a forest that seemed to have no end and trees as tall as skyscrapers, a wild and unreal place she knew to be home to an equally wild creature. “Hello, Anna.”

Anna sighed and turned towards the voice behind her to see a mountain lion perched on a boulder. Much like the forest the creature before her was impossibly large, the size of a Clydesdale even as it lay down. Yet if Anna had any fear of the behemoth cat it didn’t show, only a tired disgust as she glared back at the creature. “You promised you’d leave me alone.”

The massive Puma rolled its head lazily. “Did I? I suppose I might have said something like that, you’ll have to forgive me, it’s been so long since I’ve had a proper host and I tend to forget promises when the promises made to me are broken.” The beast replied in a feminine voice several times too small for its body.

“I didn’t make you any promises, take that up with my great-great-great-great-grandmother or something!” Anna shot back.

“Oh, the line goes further back then that,” the Puma replied casually, “steady and unbroken until it came to you, the girl who rather write about adventures than have them.”

Anna’s face grew red “Yeah, what great adventures, a failing marriage, a failing parent, coming home after days missing, beaten, bruised, cut and…” Anna stopped herself. “…I’ve seen the adventure you gave my mother and I want no part of it!”

“Even if it would save your daughter?”

Anna went pale, her grudge forgotten for just a moment. “You know where Sarah is?”

“For now, yes.” The Puma replied as it got to its feet. “I know where she was taken, I know that she is held by forces that are unnatural and that unnatural taint extends to the very precinct you went to for help. They’ll be of no use to you or Sarah.” The creature stalked closer to her and lowered its head to her ear. “But you and I both know who would be.”

Anna turned away from the Puma and wrapped her arms around herself. “I… I can’t. Not after everything that happened to Mom…”

For the first time since she’d spoken to the Puma she heard something resembling sorrow in her voice. “Your mother’s fate was… regrettable, but I’ll let you know this. I didn’t force her to take up her ancestral duty. Every time she put that costume of hers on it was her choice, if you would make the same choice for Sarah then I’ll be waiting in the attic.”

Anna had no quick answer to give and her chance to give one disappeared as the mountain, the forest and even the beast at her side turned to smoke and left her plummeting in a dark void. When she finally landed, she was back in her bed, birds chirping outside and a splitting headache making her regret her choices last night.

When she managed to crawl out of bed, she treated her dream as just that, a figment of her wine-soaked imagination. The illusion held through breakfast and even as she stripped to get into her shower. But left with nothing but her thoughts and the water crashing down on her Anna was confronted with the truth. Sarah had been taken, kidnapped by something magical that the police couldn’t save her from. The only one who possibly could save her was the puma spirit that had watched over her family for generations, but the puma spirit could only do so much without a host to empower. And it would only accept a host with her blood. She had no brothers or sisters and what aunts and uncles remained to her were far too old to ask for help. If this was going to be done, it would be up to her.

When she stepped out of the shower, she ignored her wardrobe and instead headed for the attic. Tucked far behind the rest of her things was a single box, unlabeled and only known to her by memory. At the top of the box was a tan colored bodysuit. She had her doubts that it would fit considering the last person to wear it, but the material was surprisingly forgiving and formed around her like a second skin from her neck to her toes. The same could be said for the simple black slippers that she put onto her feet. A black sash with pockets sewn into one side was tied around her waist with material to spare, the rest of it trailing behind her like a tail. Next were a pair of black gloves, a mechanism inside them hiding retractable steel claws. She activated the gloves and found four-inch blades at the end of her fingers. She retracted the blades and took out white mask with a pair of feline ears sticking out at the top. Anna stared at the mask for a moment, wondering why she was going to put it on after years of cursing its very existence.

“For Sarah,” She eventually said as she placed the mask over her face. She brushed off an old mirror in the attic and took a look at herself. She wasn’t exactly the spitting image of her mother. Her mother kept her hair short, and had a smaller figure, lean and athletic. The bodysuit may have fit well, but it still reminded her that she wasn’t her thinnest and she had none of the trained muscles her mother did.

“It’s not ideal, yes, but you have my strength as well.” A familiar voice called out to her. Anna spun around to see a spectral white puma spirit, now in its natural size looking back at her. “Our combined strength will overpower all, but the strongest of men and our speed and agility will leave the fastest in the dust. Your five senses will be sharpened and you will develop a sixth sense for the magical and the spiritual that will let you track almost anything. As long as I am with you, you shall be a sister to not only pumas, but all felines and they will aid you if you ask them too. All this power and more I promise you if you will join your spirit with mine.” The spirit explained. “Will you honor my age-old pact with your family and use my powers to run free, punish the wicked and protect the innocent, Anna Beaumont?”

Anna got down on one knee and held out her hand to the spirit, her grey eyes filled with resolve. “I will.”

Wordlessly the cat trotted towards her hand and when it touched her it disappeared from Anna’s view. Yet she could tell she wasn’t alone, the spirit was inside her now, its senses combined with hers and making the room spin. She fell to her hands and knees desperate to hold herself together as the spirit filled her every part of her from head to toe. After a minute that felt like an hour Anna head the Puma spirit in the back of her mind. “Rise, Anna. Or should I say Ghost Cat?" The Puma Spirit said excitedly. “Let’s go rescue your daughter.”