Wheel of Time

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I just finished watching the first episode on Amazon. This is the long running Robert Jordan series

The visual effects and sceneary are great.

Rosamond Pike is Moraine and she does a great job
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It's not as good as Arcane...

But WoT OUGHT to be good considering how long it took to get an adaptation... it's sorta in the Dune camp of 'classic sci-fi/fantasy literature'
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
2 years ago

But WoT OUGHT to be good considering how long it took to get an adaptation... it's sorta in the Dune camp of 'classic sci-fi/fantasy literature'
I'll have to take your word for it.

There are too many subscription services, and as you get other benefits with Amazon Prime , I am sticking with that.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Femina wrote:
2 years ago

There are too many subscription services, and as you get other benefits with Amazon Prime , I am sticking with that.
yeah there are waaaaaaaaay to many subscription services, that ain't no lie.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

[/quote]

yeah there are waaaaaaaaay to many subscription services, that ain't no lie.
[/quote]

So many people have "Cut the cord" that they aren't earning enough from cable fees, so they're trying to force us to send our money directly to them via these subscription fees!
I guess the execs aren't getting paid enough. :angry:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I found it odd/ironic that we get off the rabbit ears for cable with the promise of no commercials and then cable is full of commercials and now we pay a fee to access it. Good scam. Good scam.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I imagine the moguls at these entertainment conglomerates see their streaming services as the future of their companies and seek to find a foothold in that streaming universe, and that is why I suspect companies like WarnerMedia is cannibalizing their box office revenue to establish their HBO MAX streaming service, they think it is the wave of the future and they look to establish a beachhead in that regard. Folks can make predictions all they want, but I don't think anybody knows for sure what the future holds for these entertainment companies, how healthy film box office numbers will be in the future, how much more broadcast networks and cable channels will continue to lose market shares, just how will be viewing our entertainment comedies and dramas a generation from now, how much more audience will cable/broadcast lose to streaming services, and will cord cutting in modest numbers will increase. I think these companies building these streaming services is to hedge their bets against a game of musical chairs in the future, none of these companies wants to be caught without a chair (or streaming service) when the music stops.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

nFox News gets 90% of it's revenue from cable services carrying the channel. Commercials are just extra revenue so they don't care if companies boycott them over content. Streaming services are cutting out the middleman (cable) to get the revenues directly and Disney+ and HBOMax have enough content that they can draw in enough subscribers. Most of the other are trying for exclusive content that will draw us in.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Uhhh, to go back to the actual series: yeah, it's pretty good. I'm not sure the gender-essentialism that's core to the story mechanics has aged well, but it's definitely a capable adaptation of the story. All the casting is on point. I like getting early hints of Padan Fain's sinister nature and an early singposting of the Hand of the Light, the Whitecloaks' Inquistor arm. From what I remember of the early books, everything's on point so far. By the time they get to the later books, if they do, I'll be happy to have the show as canon: frankly, past book five, they weren't all that.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Uhhh, to go back to the actual series: yeah, it's pretty good. I'm not sure the gender-essentialism that's core to the story mechanics has aged well, but it's definitely a capable adaptation of the story. All the casting is on point. I like getting early hints of Padan Fain's sinister nature and an early singposting of the Hand of the Light, the Whitecloaks' Inquistor arm. From what I remember of the early books, everything's on point so far. By the time they get to the later books, if they do, I'll be happy to have the show as canon: frankly, past book five, they weren't all that.
The problem I have so far is how they are potraying Rand Al Thor, from what I remember of the early books he was never a whiner