Star Trek Lower Decks

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm really liking this show. The last episode where the Vulcans and Humans fight the Pakleds and Klingons was awesome. This is probably the only real Star Trek show right now and they seem to stick religiously to the material, probably cause most of the jokes derive from parody of the original material. But they appear to play by the universe rules.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It's an excellent show. Second season has been especially good.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

It even works for those who don't really know the whole ST universe deeply (...me).
So, even if sometimes I don't get the references, it's still too funny overall anyway !
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The borg cube should have been 90210. The party cube.
Damselbinder

I can't stand it. Maybe I'm just being an old curmudgeon, but I find the tone and the characters insufferable. The parody is a weird combination of being skin-thin and pedantic. Lots of "haha, remember this?!"

But hey. I didn't get very far in.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
I can't stand it. Maybe I'm just being an old curmudgeon, but I find the tone and the characters insufferable. The parody is a weird combination of being skin-thin and pedantic. Lots of "haha, remember this?!"

But hey. I didn't get very far in.
True it is "member-berries" and relies on that "ha ha remember this scene" or "ha ha remember the Orions and their pheromones?" It is a giant inside joke. Plus no real Star Trek plot of discovery.

But out of the offerings I'd say it does seem to stick more true to form than Picard or Discovery. Maybe the new one coming out will be better, the one with Pike.
Damselbinder

The writing is annoying.

The jokes don't land.

The moment to moment pacing is teeth-grinding.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Star Trek is done, and this show is like telling ribald jokes about the deceased in the parking lot right after the funeral.

Also known as, "Shevek, his face wet, his eyes red."

Did you get to the orgy yet, Mr. X? :)
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

You guys are impossible to please :p
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Orgy?? Shevek what am I missing?
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
What the heck filter do you use? Seriously ... in any random thread the word orgy appears and you are there!! How do you do it ... I'm asking for a friend.

:giggle:
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Damselbinder

helstar wrote:
2 years ago
I am not impossible to please.

I just don't like this.
Damselbinder

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
A question only a crack team of psychologists could have a hope of answering.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
helstar wrote:
2 years ago
I am not impossible to please.

I just don't like this.
And the thing is, some of us allow you to not like something. :D
Last edited by Mr. X 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
2 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
What the heck filter do you use? Seriously ... in any random thread the word orgy appears and you are there!! How do you do it ... I'm asking for a friend.

Hahaha... I am like a Genie rub the bottle, say the word and I pop up
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ok after watching some more clips this show is pretty lame. Cheap jokes. Lots of member-berries. No real point. I thought they did a good job with the space battles.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

They say the series had jokes about Hyperspace , but they are from another dimension. :laugh:
shevek
Producer
Producer

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
Season 2, Episode 8 - "I, Excretus".

It's a member-berry for the TOS episode "The Naked Now" *and* the follow-up TNG episode "The Naked Time."

You can do a screen grab of the lesbians kissing, and one of them even has blue hair.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Got those reversed but yup.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
The writing is annoying.

The jokes don't land.

what am i missing, is there a pilot to see
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I assume if they put everyone in tights and had constant debooting this show would have rave reviews here?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Please don't violate the pantyhose- no panty hose truce.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

dragontigerandhorse1985 wrote:
2 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
The writing is annoying.

The jokes don't land.

what am i missing, is there a pilot to see
Plenty of excerpts on Youtube if you want to get a few bite sized teasers.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

lionbadger wrote:
2 years ago
I assume if they put everyone in tights and had constant debooting this show would have rave reviews here?
Nailed ! :laugh:
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It has to be said the series is really made with Trek fandom in mind. I laugh along with it plenty, but I also realize how heavily a lot of it leans on referentialism: there's something a lot funnier about the episode with the Mugato orgy, say, or the one with the hilariously pathetic Killer Computer, or [insert basically any other Lower Decks premise] if the original tropes they're riffing on are actually of interest to you. In that sense, I am definitely the audience for this in a way that someone else might not be. (This is a phenomenon that should be familiar to us here: much of SHIP derives from nostalgia in the same way, it's just that most of the nostalgia is erotic.)

If it doesn't work for you (as it doesn't for Damselbinder), that's really not a big deal. (Although I do think people trying to come at it about the quality of the writing are confusing content with craftsmanship; even the episodes that don't do it as much for me are recognizable as incredibly tightly-plotted and efficiently structured works of short-form TV.) One thing I like about the current environment is that Lower Decks isn't all that's on the menu, and there's a reason that the other current Trek shows visibly don't care if the old fandom thinks they're "not real Trek": those are the ones tasked with bringing in fresh audiences. I like those, too, but then I'm long past actually caring whether Trek shows "break continuity" or "feel like Trek."

Amazon
Literotica
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

I haven't really enjoyed Trek since the end of TNG and DS9, so the show was kind of fun at first, but then quickly became rather corny. The only real moments I've enjoyed were seeing that Riker did actually get to go on and kick some ass as Captain of the Titan. I had always hoped for a spin off show with him and Troi after the final TNG film.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I haven't really enjoyed Trek since the end of TNG ........ I've enjoyed ......seeing that Riker did actually get to go on and kick some ass as Captain of the Titan. I had always hoped for a spin off show with him and Troi after the final TNG film.
yeah, but, Riker is the fcuking worst

NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

lionbadger wrote:
2 years ago
RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I haven't really enjoyed Trek since the end of TNG ........ I've enjoyed ......seeing that Riker did actually get to go on and kick some ass as Captain of the Titan. I had always hoped for a spin off show with him and Troi after the final TNG film.
yeah, but, Riker is the fcuking worst

The recurring "Riker refuses promotion" stuff was really one of the worst bits of TNG. That video is pretty good at explaining why: though I can go either way on Jellico and I think the Darmok critique is a wee bit rough (Riker's responsibility in that situation really is to recover his Captain, whose job it is to decide the Big Picture stuff).

With Jellico, it kinda depends on whether you expect the Sci-Fi Navy to work as an actual navy or whether you buy the premise that it should have evolved beyond that, which is where Riker's whole thing in Chain of Command comes from. Still, in general, Riker's rather artificial-seeming stagnancy is a real problem. If Starfleet is actually what it's supposed to be, it shouldn't tolerate that.

Amazon
Literotica
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

I never looked that deeply into it. For me Riker was the friendly medium between Kirk and Picard. Yeah it was odd he never took promotion, but for the sake of keeping the cast together for the show pretty much everyone had to be on the Enterprise so it makes sense for the episodic nature of the show. I'm sure the fans wouldn't have liked it if Riker went to captain another ship and was only seen a couple of times a season.

I remember something being mentioned about the show "Enterprise" where after a supposed 10-year period on the ship, no one had gotten a promotion, so maybe Star Fleet is just that slow, lol.