Slow response, site time outs

Have a problem with the forum? get support here!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I've been getting slow response and the site timing out at various times. Click a link and it sits for long periods then times out. I don't have net issues with other sites.
Damselbinder

Me too. And it varies by subforum.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It can vary by topic in a forum.

I had a post I made appear while my computer still showed it as loading. I only found out much later.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shevek's latest response on Batgirl in the top topics is a good example. Maybe he posted then edited or removed and reposted and it messed things up? But I've had over the last few days times that the whole site just times out.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK guys, I have the tech understanding of a small potato, so it will be the boss looking at this.
I will report the posts as a quick means of flagging it up to him

BUT when you get this issues can you (this is a GENERIC List not specific to this current problem.)
A) Say what DEVICE you were on - mobile/cell, tablet laptop etc. If a cell phone then was it Android or iPhone etc
B) Say when it first started for you
C) Say how many times it's happened to you
D) Give an idea of the TIME it happened or how long it lasted
E) Give any details of what part of the forum you were in or were trying to access or what particular post it was that you couldn't see
F) List any other info you think might be relevant

I've just tried to list things that may help (knowing the when and how long might help see if it coincided with a patch or other technical change to the forum etc). If you can give any specs of what you were using all well and good.

Right if you lads get a warning message or something saying I've reported your post, don't fret as I say it's just a quick means of flagging it up with the boss

As Mr, X just did above if you can give a specific example of what you were up to when you had the problem that might help
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

Using a laptop. Browser: chrome. First started about three hours ago. It has happened every time I have tried to access the cosplay lounge, and has made it completely inaccessible.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A) My PC running win10 over cable internet. Firefox
B) About last Monday or so.
C) Every day, multiple times. Depends on the forum topic.
D) Sporadic.
E) If I click on "Maria Menounos dressed as Batgirl to honor Burt Ward" in the recent topic area I get the hang then no topic found but if I go to the forum there is a post.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Thanks chaps

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Both laptop and desktop computers using Safari for OS 10 and 11.
For several weeks at different times of the day.

Always internet Babes topic.
A video speaks to The Flash is insufferably inconsistent topic about 9 AM MST on Friday.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I did notice that my AVG is blocking an analytics tracker on this site. Might be related.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This link to the latest post in one thread I found, available under "recent topics" on the front page, fails to load.
viewtopic.php?p=191292#p191292

However, loading the thread itself loads, showing the most recent post at the end OK.
viewtopic.php?p=184330#p184330
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
This link to the latest post in one thread I found, available under "recent topics" on the front page, fails to load.
viewtopic.php?p=191292#p191292

However, loading the thread itself loads, showing the most recent post at the end OK.
viewtopic.php?p=184330#p184330
Yup that's the same issue I have.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

The issue is with the massive size of the database. It's been growing for 14 years.

I am going to try to make some repairs and see if I can get things to flow again.

The last couple of months I have been transitioning at my work along with a couple of work trips. That is all subsiding in Oct and then the plan is to cut over to new forum software, since I will be around to support the upgrade.

Soooo bear with what you can in the meantime but it will change soon.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

17 years! Not 14 :)

Anyway, feel free to report other slow links here.

FYI the blog has been backed up and removed. The new software has that capability already built in.
trystan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

I cant seem to log onto the website without a VPN. I have a good connection.
A) apple mac
B) for past 3 wks
C) countless
D) its permanent. Recently if I use a VPN its ok but that is rare.
E) I was just trying to access the website
F) I am in Asia but the forum was never banned. I have logged on before multiple times and also other more x rated sites most of the time without a VPN lol
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I've reported the post, again just to flag it up to MH

Bert

It's still happening. I couldn't get in yesterday morning.
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

same for me.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will get fixed soon. It's loading up fast for me and I am about 1500 miles away from the server.
I will be implementing the new setup in January.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm still getting logged out and this evening I have lost visibility of the 'new' posts section on my android phone.
Can't log on on another device at the moment as my tablet is charging.

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No log-in issues, but the "new posts" section has vanished here on my Desktop.
Using Firefox
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
Using Firefox
It shows for me on Firefox so I'm not seeing that effect. It does look like Hypnotic did some section rearrangement. There is a general section now. Have you tried just hitting refresh?
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
It shows for me on Firefox so I'm not seeing that effect. It does look like Hypnotic did some section rearrangement. There is a general section now. Have you tried just hitting refresh?
Tried refreshing, deleted the cache....just in case.
But it's not getting better.
What is also weird that is I click on any topic or section the theme changes to white for a split second before the dark theme returns.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ok I tried dark and I also do not see the recent post block so its theme based. I use the silver theme.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I've got the same on my android phone. White background for a few seconds then, like AC/DC, back in black

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "recent posts" block has been removed because of an update, I need to just code it to bring it back, which will probably happen towards the end of the week. The colors are off too...
xxxwarriorxxx
Overlord
Overlord

I’m still having trouble signing in and loading the forum at the most random times. Not every single time time, but it has been more noticeable in the last two weeks for some reason.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

What devices warrior? Phone, lap top, desktop, tablet etc can you give MH as much detail please.

Anyone else having pwrsistent problems?
Ive had a few times on my Android phone

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had some problems too. Across all sites. I am actually setting up a rack in another location where I will have an alternate location so stay tuned this should be fixed soon.

MH
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
2 years ago
The "recent posts" block has been removed because of an update, I need to just code it to bring it back, which will probably happen towards the end of the week. The colors are off too...
I hope this can be fixed as that feature is very useful in my eyes, especially for folks who check the site regularly.
And it saves quite a lot of time if you don't have to check the whole forum site to see where something new was posted.

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working on it, I realize it's all wonky, a lot of the styling was removed in the update. Will have to check a backup for the original style files.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
Using Firefox
This.... for the last days...

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I'm not having that issue. Could be your end.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

My suggestion is switch to one of the other themes until I can fix it. There is a dropdown near the top of the page on the right hand side. The other themes have the recent topics right at the top of the page.
xxxwarriorxxx
Overlord
Overlord

Past two days have tried going to the forum on iPhone and I keep getting the SQL? Error. Won’t let me sign in. Tried on safari browser as well as a Google platform. Just an FYI. I deleted my cache , etc. It works sometimes and other times it does not others just a heads up !
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I get the same issue sometimes. been like that for the last day for me.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

xxxwarriorxxx wrote:
1 year ago
Past two days have tried going to the forum on iPhone and I keep getting the SQL? Error. Won’t let me sign in. Tried on safari browser as well as a Google platform. Just an FYI. I deleted my cache , etc. It works sometimes and other times it does not others just a heads up !
Yes, have to say this has been my recent experience on and off here in Spain. Usually SQL errors. I am on PC with good internet.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

MySQL server has gone away [2006]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Oh great MH, care for us in this time of site upheaval. I too have been sporadically receiving the SQL error.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regarding the recent posts, I think I am going to keep it at the top of the page. What does everyone think?

1) It doesn't require special coding which means it won't break with every update.

2) It's a bit easier for mobile users as the updates are now right at the top, less scrolling. That goes the same for desktop users, I think the "eyeflow" is a bit easier since you're looking straight down the page instead of off to the sidebar. Now I can put more interesting things in the sidebar!