How often do you go to the cinema in a "normal" year?

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.

How often do you go to the cinema in a "normal" year? (without Covid)

13%
1-5
40%
6-10
27%
11-20
7%
20+
13%

Total votes: 15
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm curious and inspired by another topic...so vote!
And think about a "normal" year pre-covid.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Big "event" movies that really benefited from being seen on a big screen were usually the draw for me. I really want to get back into a cinema, I miss it.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes good topic. I'm wondering if Covid plus streaming and the way new movies are released are going to finally kill of theaters.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I used to go on my way home from work and was never really that bothered about the film just needed somewhere dark to calm down after another shit day at work
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I was a regular movie-goer for many years. I also worked as a projectionist for a while why in school. I would always prefer new movies on the big screen. Watching at home is a real convenience but it doesn't match the fun of going to the theater.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

McGheeny wrote:
2 years ago
I was a regular movie-goer for many years. I also worked as a projectionist for a while why in school. I would always prefer new movies on the big screen. Watching at home is a real convenience but it doesn't match the fun of going to the theater.
I totally agree with you. I have always thought there was something special about going to the movie theatre, seeing the previews, the smell of that delicious popcorn, the communal feel that you and a bunch of total strangers are sharing in the experience of the enjoyment of a film, just a lot of ambience. You just can't find those things watching on a big screen at home, it may certainly be more convenient to watch films at home in the comfort of one's own big screen TV, but I think something is definitely lost when watching a film in the confines of one's home, it's just not the same thing to me. I feel that films in order to keep that specialness or uniqueness of experience needs to be an altogether different experience from watching a program on a big screen television.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I too liked the feel of a movie--the anticipation for the movie to start, enjoying the previews of movies yet to be released, the smell of the popcorn,...even the need to schedule the day in order to be at the theater on time added to the significance of the evening out.

I go to movies less frequently due to the annoyance of people talking during the movie, people on their phones during the movie, the lack of a compelling storyline in many movies, and perhaps the difficulty in finding a movie storyline I have not already seen played out before. Characters in movies need to be established within a 120 minute span, which is incredibly challenging; characters in series can be established over 10-12 hour-long episodes. For character-driven movies, I generally wait to see them at home.

One other aspect of seeing a movie in a theater is that the experience is wholly engrossing. Unfortunately, when a movie begins to lag, I find myself bored moreso than in previous years. I'm sure that is in part due to technology's impact on our attention spans.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Yes good topic. I'm wondering if Covid plus streaming and the way new movies are released are going to finally kill of theaters.
That will never happen.
There will always be movie theaters as there is always an audience for that.
But I guess the number of movie theaters will decrease over time.
The question is to what degree.
-

As I mentioned in other topics before....in a "normal" year I go around 15 times into a cinema.
I guess my record year was something around 25 times.
Last year I was exactly one time in a cinema (before they closed).... some highlights are still to be seen this year.
Looking forward the most to the new Bond movie.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
Yes! Definitely looking forward to that new Bond film. Hopefully no more delays. (Also looking forward to the new Halloween film.)
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ That quote is all messed up ;-)
Your answer is inside the box. And I actually said that about the Bond movie, not Mr. X.

*EDIT* Now it looks good ;)
Last edited by Maskripper 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

(Hopefully I fixed it [the misquote] .)
I dunno about the Bond film. Doesn't grab me, the writing of the last couple has been shit.
It's true of films in general.
So rare to see something interesting and well written.
Bring back the Saturday double bills I say

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
That will never happen.
There will always be movie theaters as there is always an audience for that.
But I guess the number of movie theaters will decrease over time.
The question is to what degree.
-

As I mentioned in other topics before....in a "normal" year I go around 15 times into a cinema.
I guess my record year was something around 25 times.
Last year I was exactly one time in a cinema (before they closed).... some highlights are still to be seen this year.

Not so sure. Last couple of movies I saw (wonder woman, black widow, suicide squad) the theater was nearly empty, no huge crowds at the theater and even the theater only had a limited selection of snacks. No milk duds. And this was first day release.

Anecdotal but theaters are open and people are not rushing to go see movies. Would love to see numbers on that.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Reacquiring trust in the safety of the environment will be a process, the more so the longer anti-vaxxers continue to be a factor. I want to go back myself, but OTOH I haven't gone yet. The prevalence of anti-vaxxers in my province is part of the reason I stay cautious.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
2 years ago
I totally agree with you. I have always thought there was something special about going to the movie theatre, seeing the previews, the smell of that delicious popcorn, the communal feel that you and a bunch of total strangers are sharing in the experience of the enjoyment of a film, just a lot of ambience.
There is truly little that compares to the theater experience. From the ambiance as stated, or the pre-film activities that accompany an opening. From the Lord of the Ring cosplayers enacting scenes, to the lightsaber fights prior to a Star Wars opening, going to the theater can provide so much extra value and entertainment. Also, the energy and anticipation of waiting for those opening credits to begin rolling on the big screen is exciting. I look forward to going back to the movies.

Mr. X wrote: “No milk duds.”

Wait?! No Milk Duds! Oh that’s a show stopper :hmmm:
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Haven't gone back yet, might never if people don't quit being anti-vax idiots and mutating the virus. If people don't get their heads out of their asses then it could be a great god damn long time before anything like a packed movie theater is a good idea again.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In the UK the Pearl and Dean ads were legendary

Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I'd done more than 20 a year for several years before COVID-19.

I broke the seal for Black Widow opening weekend in IMAX. At the time it seemed very low risk. But the experience disappointed me. The audience wasn't excited.

I am hopeful but not expectant that conditions will be improved enough when Top Gun: Maverick is released.

Until then, for me, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I mean let's be real people, we all knew Endgame was the Climax of the theatrical experience. It came, it saw, it fell short of Avatar's box office returns but still contained packed houses of whooping partying nerds.

After that it was destined to die down for a little while, we just didn't realize it was reality throwing us a bone before the storm.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yup just like the end of the Western era, Endgame is pretty much the end of the Super Hero era. Sure there will be a few more movies but I'm sure Hollywood is looking for new avenues. How do you top Endgame without getting so nerdy most audiences don't know or care. Green lantern had that problem. They put in all these green lantern characters that fans knew but no one else did. Was too nerdy and exact.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Yup just like the end of the Western era, Endgame is pretty much the end of the Super Hero era. Sure there will be a few more movies but I'm sure Hollywood is looking for new avenues. How do you top Endgame without getting so nerdy most audiences don't know or care. Green lantern had that problem. They put in all these green lantern characters that fans knew but no one else did. Was too nerdy and exact.
I don't know that I'd go THAT far. People are lining up at the rafters to watch the Marvel Series and streaming Black Widow... DISNEY isn't complaining about Black Widow's box office returns afterall... they just made most of their returns outside of the box office. I need another probably... five to ten years I think before I could feel confident decoding if the Superhero genre began dying after Endgame or not.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

There's so much dosh to be made from the toys associated with them that they will keep churning out the films. How many Hulk reboots have we had? How many Spideys.? They will keep making them just to flog the toys as much as anything else.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
There's so much dosh to be made from the toys associated with them that they will keep churning out the films. How many Hulk reboots have we had? How many Spideys.? They will keep making them just to flog the toys as much as anything else.
Hmm? Cause Toys R US partially went out of business due to the lack luster sales of Rey action figures as well as other Star Wars merch that didn't sell. I'm not convinced toy sales are all that much of a thing any longer. Is anyone buying Captain Marvel action figures?
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Hmm? Cause Toys R US partially went out of business due to the lack luster sales of Rey action figures as well as other Star Wars merch that didn't sell. I'm not convinced toy sales are all that much of a thing any longer. Is anyone buying Captain Marvel action figures?
https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news/c ... index.html

It was artificially saddled with billions of dollars of debt. If you have data to show toy sales aren't "that much of a thing", I'd love to see it.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news/c ... index.html

It was artificially saddled with billions of dollars of debt. If you have data to show toy sales aren't "that much of a thing", I'd love to see it.
Yes I would too. Doesn't seem like toys are that popular anymore, at least with some of these characters. Maybe older people with action figures but those are the people spending $500 on a Red Sonya posable figure, not Toys R Us stuff.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's not just the toys, it's lunchboxes it's pjs, its kids hero outfits, merch in general, mostly targeted at kids.