Superdeep (2020, Russia) - Shudder

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Saw an excellent horror sci-fi film tonight: Superdeep, made in Russia (but all of the dialogue is in English).
It's based on the real-life Kola Superdeep Borehole, which until recently was the deepest artificial hole drilled by humans,
located near Murmansk on the Kola Peninsula.

The premise is what if it wasn't just a hole - what if there was an entire lab 12,000 meters deep in the Earth, and they
were conducting experiments there on an ancient organism that was extremely dangerous. That's where you get the horror
of the plot.

The star of the movie is a great find: Serbian actress Milena Radulovic. She's hot, but you don't really see much of her beauty
until later on in the film when she strips much of her clothes off to compensate for the extreme heat in the facility. Radulovic
plays an epidemiologist, kind of a Ripley-style character in a movie that does have elements of both Alien and The Thing. She
does get into peril quite a bit.

Because this is filmed in Russia, there's no weird politics - just the tension of whether the organism will be used in defense of
the Russian homeland or whether it's too dangerous to be revealed to the public, or to anyone for that matter. You'll see the decision that is made, and along the way there's a good amount of impressive and gory practical effects (see photos below) which would make Tom Savini proud.

I found Superdeep randomly on 123Movies but normally you will be able to find it on the Shudder streaming service.

Milena Radulovic
milena-radulovic-002-min.jpg
milena-radulovic-002-min.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
DVD cover
superdeep dvd cover.jpg
superdeep dvd cover.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Practical Effects
practical fx 1.jpg
practical fx 1.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Kola-Superdeep-The-Superdeep-Kolskaya-Sverhglubokaya-2020-scr1-2.jpg
Kola-Superdeep-The-Superdeep-Kolskaya-Sverhglubokaya-2020-scr1-2.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
As Anna Fedorova in the film, a peril scene
superdeep-1.jpg
superdeep-1.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So its a Wuhan labs documentary ;)
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Nice Shevek, that you took the german blu-ray cover.
I saw this one some weeks ago as I stumbled on the movie cover. I saw gas masks in the background and air hoses on her shoulders and that was already enough for me to investigate ;-).
All in all, it's a solid movie and has some nice peril scenes in it.
The scenes with her wearing a gas mask would fit to both of my blogs, perhaps I will post about this in the next weeks.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Because this is filmed in Russia, there's no weird politics
??? Meaning what?

Looks like an interesting movie, though. I'll have a look for it.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
Bert

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
??? Meaning what?
Oh, Shevek's got a woke detector that's so finely tuned and sensitive that he can sniff out postneo/7th wave feminism references that most Women's Studies professors would miss.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
200 years of Russian history scream "am I a joke to you"
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Let's all keep it friendly fellows

As the film doesn't go near politics let's not go near it here as well
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago

That's a joke, right? Because, and I quote: "Because this is filmed in Russia, there's no weird politics".

If avoiding politics is your goal, perhaps including that passive-aggressive quote was, you know, ill-advised? You don't get to throw the match and then say - Hey guys, why the fire?
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Like Bert says. The OP brought "politics" up, nobody else, and à propos of nothing as far as I can see. I'm just trying to figure out what the reference to "weird politics" or the lack of it is bringing to the review. And if it's meant to be a dog-whistle for something the OP isn't willing to actually say, that will be instructive, too.

I personally don't want it to overshadow that this looks like a pretty cool movie. Already stipulated. Sadly my go-to streaming site for foreign movies already has this one behind a paywall but I will check it out eventually.

Amazon
Literotica
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago

That's a joke, right? Because, and I quote: "Because this is filmed in Russia, there's no weird politics".

If avoiding politics is your goal, perhaps including that passive-aggressive quote was, you know, ill-advised? You don't get to throw the match and then say - Hey guys, why the fire?
I never had any goal as I didn't say it.
Regardless of what you feel the OP meant, my message is don't view it as bait and don't bite.
He said the film has no political agenda- that's it.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
I never had any goal as I didn't say it.
Regardless of what you feel the OP meant, my message is don't view it as bait and don't bite.
Well that's embarrassing. I somehow attributed Tally's response to Shevek. My apologies to both of you for the mistake.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
don't view it as bait and don't bite.
No, he said it was filmed in Russia and said that it, therefore, doesn't have any "weird politics." That's a pretty specific statement that's hard to parse and for the most part, I'm not "biting." I'm genuinely asking for a clarification of what it means and what it brings to the review, b/c I genuinely do not know WTF it's supposed to mean.

Which if the comment is perfectly innocent and above board and not worth making a fuss about should be an unremarkable thing to do. Right? Because if that's wrong, then it would seem like the OP should fall foul of that ostensible ban on political commentary. But if that's not the case, then there shouldn't be a problem with asking questions about it.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
don't view it as bait and don't bite.
No, he said it was filmed in Russia and said that it, therefore, doesn't have any "weird politics." That's a pretty specific statement that's hard to parse and for the most part, I'm not "biting." I'm genuinely asking for a clarification of what it means and what it brings to the review, b/c I genuinely do not know WTF it's supposed to mean.

Which if the comment is perfectly innocent and above board and not worth making a fuss about should be an unremarkable thing to do. Right? Because if that's wrong, then it would seem like the OP should fall foul of that ostensible ban on political commentary. But if that's not the case, then there shouldn't be a problem with asking questions about it.
It simply means you can watch the entire film without being pulled out of the immersion by some unnecessary political messaging.
And that's because it's filmed in Russia, which often recycles American action tropes in a "chad" style (e.g. 2017's X-Men ripoff, Guardians). Since there was no politics in this movie, it only took one sentence out of a several paragraph review to say that.

That's it.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply.
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
It simply means you can watch the entire film without being pulled out of the immersion by some unnecessary political messaging.
Such as?

Amazon
Literotica
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Anything political. Can't very well say what they don't mention if they don't mention it.

Just leave it as all aspects of politics aren't mentioned

NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Anything political. Can't very well say what they don't mention if they don't mention it.
Okay.

The OP mentioned it.

Since that stayed up I have to assume it's in bounds to ask what the mention means.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Thanks for the reply.
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Such as?
Now I'll have to assume you're literally unaware of what has been going on for the last five years in the pop culture arena.

I could bring up numerous examples but I think a really good one to demonstrate this biased phenomenon is for you to simply watch
the recent Legends of Tomorrow episode "This is Gus" (Season 6 Episode 9). Just go to CWTV and watch it for free as soon as you can.

Then when you notice all the injected sociopolitical statements which are irrelevant to the story (and are sometimes contradictory, suffering from cognitive dissonance), you will understand why I am glad that movies like "Superdeep", "How I Became a Superhero" and...I assume, Kate Beckinsale's "Jolt" (which I am about to watch, thanks to Maskripper's kind recommendation) are 100% free of it.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Then when you notice all the injected sociopolitical statements which are irrelevant to the story (and are sometimes contradictory, suffering from cognitive dissonance), you will understand why I am glad that movies like "Superdeep", "How I Became a Superhero" and...I assume, Kate Beckinsale's "Jolt" (which I am about to watch, thanks to Maskripper's kind recommendation) are 100% free of it.
You're going to have to consider the possibility that what seem like "injected sociopolitical statements" to you won't be self-evident to others. That's why I'm asking, and I don't understand the apparent evasiveness here. Like, you could just come out and say what the supposedly "injected sociopolitical statements" are supposed to be and then I'll have some idea what you're talking about and what movies filmed in Russia are supposed to happily be free from. (I can't presently stream "This Is Gus" and I don't watch Legends of Tomorrow, so that one's not much use to me as a data point and present.)

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
You're going to have to consider the possibility that what seem like "injected sociopolitical statements" to you won't be self-evident to others. That's why I'm asking, and I don't understand the apparent evasiveness here. Like, you could just come out and say what the supposedly "injected sociopolitical statements" are supposed to be and then I'll have some idea what you're talking about and what movies filmed in Russia are supposed to happily be free from. (I can't presently stream "This Is Gus" and I don't watch Legends of Tomorrow, so that one's not much use to me as a data point and present.)
There's no evasiveness - I just didn't feel like making another list, when I already listed in in my post about LOT S6 E9 on the Superhero Movies subforum. To watch "This is Gus" all you have to do is go to CWTV and stream it for free, but in any case, here is a list of what was sprinkled all across that one episode:

actual script quotes:
"intersectionality and gender studies"
"patriarchy"
"post-feminist empowerment lit[erature]"
"preventing capitalism from creating another monster"

concepts:
marriage being declared as 'outdated'
"seeing yourself" represented in a TV character
male pregnancy
a TV sitcom where the point is to foreground "Muslims" but the cast is all Middle-Eastern so it's actually about ethnicity

This Russian movie doesn't have any of that. So that's what I meant.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
To watch "This is Gus" all you have to do is go to CWTV and stream it for free,
Not in Canada, more's the pity. I really should invest in a VPN.

I found the script online, however:
actual script quotes . . . concepts . . .
In context pretty much everything you list here looks perfectly innocuous, the episode appears to be largely comedy, and I'm amazed at how fragile some people are about being exposed to the mere mention of something like representation or onscreen Muslims. But hey, those are your opinions and that certainly does clarify what you meant, so: thank you.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
To watch "This is Gus" all you have to do is go to CWTV and stream it for free,
Not in Canada, more's the pity. I really should invest in a VPN.

I found the script online, however:
actual script quotes . . . concepts . . .
In context pretty much everything you list here looks perfectly innocuous, the episode appears to be largely comedy, and I'm amazed at how fragile some people are about being exposed to the mere mention of something like representation or onscreen Muslims. But hey, those are your opinions and that certainly does clarify what you meant, so: thank you.
I can't believe you dragged me through all of this just to explain what I meant by a half-sentence comment in my original post.

Speaking of comedy, it's funny that I provided you a list of progressive catchphrases (and you found them all in the script, obviously) and then you parroted one right back at me ("fragile").

Anyway, I hope people enjoy The Superdeep.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
I can't believe you dragged me through all of this just to explain what I meant by a half-sentence comment in my original post.
It's weird that it was necessary to "drag you" through anything when you could have just answered a simple question right off, but such was your choice.
you parroted one right back at me ("fragile").
Hey, sometimes the shoe fits. But I won't belabor the point.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
It's weird that it was necessary to "drag you" through anything when you could have just answered a simple question right off, but such was your choice.
you parroted one right back at me ("fragile").
Hey, sometimes the shoe fits. But I won't belabor the point.
The shoe doesn't fit at all. If I was 'fragile', I wouldn't be watching these shows. If I was 'fragile', I'd be saying these shows shouldn't exist. But I'm not saying that. I'm simply saying I want something better that's not full of woke Hollywood cliches, that there is better stuff out there, and that I'm recommending it.

As for answering your 'simple question right off'...I did. You just wanted a very *specific* answer so that you had the means to define me.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
The shoe doesn't fit at all.
Sure.
You just wanted a very *specific* answer so that you had the means to define me.
I simply wanted a straight answer. I can't say I was entirely surprised by what it turned out to be, but if you're uncomfortable with how I view you in light of it: oh well. I didn't bring up politics. You did.

(And like I said, I'm not going to belabor the point. You can certainly choose to keep on about it if you like, though.)

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
The shoe doesn't fit at all.
Sure.
You just wanted a very *specific* answer so that you had the means to define me.
I simply wanted a straight answer. I can't say I was entirely surprised by what it turned out to be, but if you're uncomfortable with how I view you in light of it: oh well. I didn't bring up politics. You did.

(And like I said, I'm not going to belabor the point. You can certainly choose to keep on about it if you like, though.)
I'm not going to, but it's interesting that you were the one who chose to 'belabor' the point in the first place.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago

I'm curious roughly your age. Do you recall when in the 60s, 70s and early 80s (and well before) every TV show and movie had christian, god and conservative messages? War of the Worlds with the grand "In God's wisdom" message at the end.

And this wasn't just entertainment. It was also in schools. Universities with strict conservative professors and school boards. Even Animal House spoofed that. You got cancelled for a whole lot of things. Work places. Politics. Everything was christian values.

Some of us lived through that and some of us took a rolled up newspaper to the conservatives to get their special interest out of schools and entertainment and government. Even the gay marriage thing is a throw back to those days.

I really really really doubt you want some resurgence of conservative messages in media. God talk, Jesus, lessons about strong father figures and nuclear families etc.

Now the same people who swatted the conservatives see Woke doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING. In fact my view is woke is just the church ladies from the 1950s, they just use a different set of causes to get on some fake moral high ground.

So some of us feel we now ONCE MORE have to take a rolled up newspaper to a bunch of busy body, self proclaimed moral snobs and swat them out of where they don't belong.

So when I read Shevek's post my view was that the movie had no other agenda than to entertain. No conservative christian messages like God and no woke messages like virtue signalling diversity and inclusion.

I noticed as of late that a lot of the people who have this cavalier "I see nothing, nothing is wrong, move along" fire extinguisher attitude toward people complaining about woke culture are young people who did not experience it when another group did exactly the same thing. Or they are 1980s dinosaurs still stuck thinking the world is Animal House and they are the cocky college kid rebelling against some Dean Wormer when, in fact, THEY are now the stodgy, closed minded conservative simply pushing a different agenda.

Us older lefties dealt with this in the past and we once more have to deal with it again. Humans will always have co-alphas, they just grab whatever is the dominant moral high ground of the day to preach to others.
Damselbinder

You're having, effectively, the same argument in two different threads. This is exhausting. It's all anyone ever seems to want to talk about.
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

To clarify for my part (because I don't want people writing long responses to me that they don't realize are not being read): beyond identifying who's who for purposes of curating my forum experience, I for one am not interested in further "political" argument on this thread or any other.

Amazon
Literotica
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well that's all cleared up let's park it there and talk about the film from now on, rather than whatever politics it isn't mentioning

Bert

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not going to, but it's interesting that you were the one who chose to 'belabor' the point in the first place.
Okay, this time I have the right guy. Shevek, you (insert bad word that rhymes with suck), it was you who introduced politics into this discussion. You don't get to claim the moral high ground now by blaming someone else for reacting to your provocation.

This conversation is not happening in a vacuum. The forum has endured years of often acrimonious discussions on politics and wokeness and feminism. During these years of acrimony, you have been one of the primary instigators. It is with this history in mind, and with your recent commitment to avoid future hostilities, that the current controversy is unfolding. Your snide reference to politics in the initial post, in the context of recent years' discussions, is clearly a provocative statement. It was YOU who started this. Your lame attempt to shift blame now looks very weak.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Bert wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Okay, this time I have the right guy. Shevek, you (insert bad word that rhymes with suck), it was you who introduced politics into this discussion. You don't get to claim the moral high ground now by blaming someone else for reacting to your provocation.
It was YOU who started this. Your lame attempt to shift blame now looks very weak.
Sorry, but yes I do get to claim the high ground. Not 'moral', just factual. I'm not interested in who is virtuous, just in who is correct. You quote 'history', I cite context. This was supposed to be a *review thread*. It says so in the title. That half-sentence 'aside' was part of a much longer review, not an invitation to several days of back-and-forth acrimony, almost entirely from just two people (you, and NotUV2). Your chosen method is attack, and NotUV2's method is 'concern trolling', as if you were playing good cop/bad cop. So, the blame is not mine. You harped on a tiny specific part of a larger review. That's obsessive. Mentioning the lack of woke politics in a movie, on the other hand, is not obsessive, it's just factual. I did the same thing in the immediately preceding review on the French film as well. As far as I'm concerned, it's just part of my 'rating system.'
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:offtopic:
Hmh, another thread where 99% of the text isn't about the ACTUAL TOPIC

Perhaps some of you guys should open ONE topic where you can discuss ONLY politics, wokeness and whatever the whole day long and spinning in circles while doing it.
The big "Superheroineforum politics, wokeness, left and right discussion wormhole topic".

Most of the posts on this topic should be deleted.
This one included....
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Bert and NOTUV2, you are the ones who have been poking the bear over this, deliberately trying to get him to spell out his definition of 'weird politics' so you can then condemn him for it.

BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HIS CONCEPT OF WEIRD POLITICS IS, BECAUSE WHATEVER IT IS ISNT PRESENT IN THE FILM ANYWAY.

If Shevek had said weird anything, we each reach a conclusion based on our own bias. If he had said there's 'no weird sexual stuff in this ' to some that might mean BDSM, to others toe sucking. To some such fetishes aren't weird but 'normal' if that is their thing. If the statement was in isolation its fine to ask for definition. But it isn't.

If you have read the contributions in other threads on politics (and you have) you probably both have a fair idea of what he meant in this instance.

Bert posted that Shevek likely meant woke politics. NOTUV2 you were told there was no unnecessary political messaging - and then asked for EXAMPLES of unnecessary political messaging that wasn't included.

I mean come on guys.

Next post will be deleted on the matter.

Bugsy
Sargeant
Sargeant

It never ceases to amaze how far off topic people get at this place! Who f’n cares if someone said there are no politics!