What do you think about crossovers?

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I am curious how you guys feel about crossovers. Like them or dislike them.

I am OK as long as it adds to the storyline, makes sense, and is not done too often. I remember the crossovers between The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman with the Fembots and Bigfoot.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I loved the Superman animated series where Superman had to impersonate Batman. That was awesome. Might have been cool if they did something like that with Supergirl.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Some are done well, It depends upon the writers and how well they can use each style.

CBS did one with Magnum, P. I. and Simon and Simon that made sense and had the characters acting like they normally did. Years later I saw the Magnum, P. I, syndicated version with a different ending to eliminate the need for the other episode for a resolution

The early Arrow 'verse were well done, but the last few have gotten to be just to have one.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Are you talking about crossovers of different franchises or of the same one?

The Austin/Sommers one could be done easily because they were in the same uninverse.

The Pretender/Profiler one worked well
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

In general I prefer superhero show with a max 2 heroes/heroines out there in the field.
All Arrowverse shows expand these teams over the seasons until you have some more folks in the field and some tech guys/girls in the background....and I'm not the biggest fan of it.
But I do like crossovers as they only include 2-5 episodes in the Arrowverse. Some were better than others but it's always cool to see characters from different shows that you watch come together to battle a common enemy.

Besides the Arrowverse crossovers....I can't really think of many crossovers that I have seen. Will have to investigate....
A guest appearance from Xena in the Simpsons show isn't exactly a crossover I guess. :hmmm: ;)
But the Xena and Hercules show had quite a lot of episodes with actors from the other shows.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Are you talking about crossovers of different franchises or of the same one?

The Austin/Sommers one could be done easily because they were in the same uninverse.

The Pretender/Profiler one worked well

I guess I am referring to the same franchise. I am not aware that it could be done with different ones or how that would work. Yes I loved the Pretender/Profiler crossovers well.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks for the responses. As for them being in the same franchise, I was not aware it could be done in different franchises. I also liked the Pretender/Profiler crossovers.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bronson881 wrote:
2 years ago
Thanks for the responses. As for them being in the same franchise, I was not aware it could be done in different franchises. I also liked the Pretender/Profiler crossovers.
I would consider Visitors: Simon and Simon/Magnum or NCIS LA and Hawaii 5-) different franchises as opposed to the Arroverse or Bionicverse
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I remember a Magnum and Murder She Wrote cross over.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
I remember a Magnum and Murder She Wrote cross over.
Pics or it didn't happen.
(let's all pray that that thought died in the womb of the mind the bore it)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

Without a Trace and CSI was the hypest shit and if you try to tell me it's not then I will

pout
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What I love are villain cross overs. Like Batman fighting the Flash's rogues gallery or Superman fighting Batman's bad guys. I remember one Justice League where Capt Boomerang and Batman were squaring off with baterangs and boomerangs. Wonder Woman fighting Kalibak. Flash messing up Live Wire. Batman stopping weather Wizard. Supergirl and Batgirl vs Harley, Poison Ivy and Live Wire.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bronson881 wrote:
2 years ago
Actor Richard Belzer originated the role of police detective John Munch on Homicide: Life on the Streets. Belzer went on to portray Detective Munch on various other series across various networks including appearing on Law& Order, the X-Files, The Beat, Law& Order: Trial by Jury, Arrested Development, The Wire, (I watched those shows but to not remember those appearances) 30 Rock, (but that was more of a cameo then a crossover in my view) and Law& Order SVU.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SyFy network did a really poor Warehouse 13/Eureka pair that could have been generic guest stars. There were the remake version MacGyver/Hawaii 5-0 that were decent. USA network show producers wanted, but never did a Burn Notice/Covert Affairs/White Collar crossover when they were all on the air.

There was the classic appearance of Green Hornet and Kato on Batman in the 1960s since they were the same production studio.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Sometimes the "crossovers" are actually a back-door pilot for one of the shows. I believe that was the case for Batman and Green Hornet.

I remember Dan Tanna from Vegas showing up on an episode of Charlie's Angels.

There might have been a Charlie's Angels crossover with The Love Boat, too. There was definitely an episode set on a cruise ship, with Frank Gorshin as the baddie, but I think there was an episode where they were on the actual Love Boat as well.
Last edited by Lurkndog 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis did some crossovers as well, some of which were lots of fun. Atlantis was a spinoff of SG-1, and I think Rodney from Atlantis started out as a guest character on SG-1. There was also an episode where Teal'k and Ronan Dex team up to kill a lot of bad guys.
ltrltr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I think they can be quite fun, though I do think the Arrowverse ones have become a bit too self referential of late (watched the most recent one over the last couple of days).