Galen's Quest: Chapter Two

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
dravatar
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

TOC and Introduction
Chapter One

Chapter Two:

Galen awakened with a start, the images still fresh in his mind, but confused, jumbled. The only clear picture he had was that of the goat man. Cloven hooves for feet on strong, powerful legs, and the head and neck of a large goat set on the shoulders of a heavily muscled man. Built on gargantuan proportions. he had seemed to tower over everyone in the dream, including Aponolus.

He got up, went on deck, dropped a bucket over the side, and hauled in some fresh sea water to splash his face. The sea had little peaks as the wind that pushed the vessel so rapidly stirred the surface of the water. Gulls could be heard but not yet seen in the pre-dawn light creeping from Apollo’s stables. Soon the chariot’s daily journey across the sky would begin. He smelled the salt air and tried to sort through the images, to find sense and order in them, but he could not.

Having washed, he relieved himself, then went below to drink from his ration of fresh water. Within scant hours they would arrive, but he still had no clear idea what was expected of him. He was an archer without bow or an arm to use it if he had one. He drew his makaira and looked at it. A hunting blade, that’s what he had been reduced to. A man with a knife for skinning and butchering. Still, better than nothing in close quarters combat.

He went back on deck. Aenid had said they should sight the island in the morning light, but he was not looking forward to beginning the actual quest in earnest. He didn’t want to do this at all. What he wanted was for things to return to what they had been in his youth. A respected archer who sought nothing more than to serve the Lady Athena. But not like this. He had been content then and should never have reached for more.

He sighed and looked at his arm. He really had only two choices: regain his honour and with it, perhaps, his arm or return to mucking out stables. He just prayed that he survived. He paced the deck area as he continued to think on these things until he heard the lookout signal the sighting of land. No doubt the island… well, he would know soon enough. All too soon if there was any truth in that troubling mixed up dream.

He was so deep in thought that he failed to note the approach of Aponolus until he made his presence known with one of his patented bone jarring slaps of camaraderie. “By the gods this looks to be a fair morning, does it not?”

Galen smiled and nodded as soon as he recovered enough to do so. “Any idea what the plan is?”

Aponolus nodded. “You lead and I follow. I will, of course offer advise if I think that you need it or if asked.” He smiled. “It should be exciting, at any rate!”

Aenid approached, “We’ve sighted the island. Have you given any thought to where you wish us to make shore?”

Galen shook his head, “No, but we are going into the caves, so as close to there as you can contrive should suffice.”

Aenid grinned. “New words to tease my love with. Contrive! I like the sound of that one.” He left them to seek out… “Necklen!”

“Aye?”

Galen heard no more as the two men approached each other and their voices became softer.

“We will be needing a good breakfast before tackling the caves, I’m thinking.”

Galen turned towards the sound of the voice, clearly startled. “Forgive me… Sappho of Lesbos. I didn’t hear your approach.”

She wrinkled her nose, “Sapph, please. All my friends address me as Sapph.”

Galen nodded even as he heard Aenid approach, “Good morning. We have sighted our destination and shall make shore as near to the caves as I can contrive.”

Sappho turned on him, a smile on her face as she shook her head, “And what did I say to you about the language of captains, my Captain?”

Aenid’s grin was full of mischief. “I fear I may need private instruction on that one.”

The four of them laughed, it was a musical sound, filled with the joy of early friendship, then Sappho returned their attention to the matter at hand. “I will arrange a good breakfast once we land, not only for us, but for Necklen and the crew as well. We well have fresh meat, too, if our hunters are able to obtain such. We do not know how long it shall be until we are able to do so again, so be certain to eat heartily.”

In the event, the meal was concluded nearly two hours past the mid-day. It was then that Galen made his first decision. “It is late already, so I don’t think it would be good to venture the caves just now. I propose we should lay on provisions for an early meal tomorrow and then enter the caves whilst we are fresh and have the day, full, before us. Meanwhile, I think that we should spy out entrances and make whatever plans we may.”

The next morning, with bellies full, but not stuffed, they made their way into the caves.
DrAvatar