Justice Society - World War 2 animated movie (DC, 2021)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The DC animated movie Justice Society - World War 2 is coming out on April 27.
Here's the trailer, and the interview from the WonderCon@Home last weekend.

So if you are into Nazi-punching, this is definitely for you. Because that's pretty much all you get. There's no superpowered Big Bad shown in the trailer, nor is there one mentioned in the Wikipedia. An abbreviated version of the Justice Society (no Alan Scott Green Lantern, for example) fights Nazis, plus a fish-out-of-water Barry Allen Flash who travels back in time. That's it.

The only villain character that might be included at all may be "Charles Halsted", but I'm not even sure that he's the same person as "Charles Halstead" (who is Psycho-Pirate, and certainly not a major Big Bad in any case). It seems kind of hard to believe that they wouldn't include a major DC antagonist villain so I hope I'm wrong and that it's just a secret surprise.

The special interest to this forum is that Wonder Woman and Black Canary (a masked version, Maskripper!) are part of the team.
Most notable is that WW is voiced by Stana Katic, who is known from her long stint on the TV show Castle, plus she also played a Jewish character in Heroes, and voiced Lois Lane years ago on a Superman animated movie.

Not only is Stana a strikingly gorgeous Serbo-Croatian woman (who should definitely be cast in live superhero action films) but she also crafted a sexy "Balkan" accent for her Wonder Woman character based on listening to how her grandmother spoke in Serbia. Stana has said that she was trying to approximate how a Scythian (since the real-life Amazons were supposedly from that tribe) would speak, so she cobbled together an accent that would be "Thracian, Illyrian, Grecian". (Scythians were actually closely related to Persians, but she gets an A for trying). Exceptionally smart that she took the time to do that...it parallels well with I've been doing with the accent of Devana, our Serbian WW-meets-Xena character, for several years on Heroineburgh.

Živeli, Stana! :)

stana katic.jpg
stana katic.jpg (196.68 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Damselbinder

This looks like a very fun little sutin sutin. I'm ambivalent about the art style, but to the extent to which I don't like it, it's entirely a question of taste.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stana Katic appeared in The Spirit, a different type of hero movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831887/ch ... /nm1065664
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Stana Katic appeared in The Spirit, a different type of hero movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831887/ch ... /nm1065664
Yeah, that was actually the first thing I saw her in, before she did Castle.

She put in a good performance in a really bad movie.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

So, I'm guessing the deviation from history is that Pearl Harbor didn't happen, and the US stayed out of the war until the point at which the story begins?

Judging from Barry Allen's involvement, this is the result of enemy action.
Bert

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Stana has said that she was trying to approximate how a Scythian (since the real-life Amazons were supposedly from that tribe) would speak, so she cobbled together an accent that would be "Thracian, Illyrian, Grecian". (Scythians were actually closely related to Persians, but she gets an A for trying). Exceptionally smart that she took the time to do that...it parallels well with I've been doing with the accent of Devana, our Serbian WW-meets-Xena character, for several years on Heroineburgh.
I'm sure if "Stana" (awesome that you're on a first name basis with her) saw your post she'd thank you for mansplaining that she put all that time into researching the accent she created and still got it wrong. Who doesn't love getting an A for trying? It's also super generous of you to say she's exceptionally smart for doing the exact same thing you're doing. And hey, working in a plug for your own work in almost every post you make is good hustle.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago

I'm sure if "Stana" (awesome that you're on a first name basis with her) saw your post she'd thank you for mansplaining that she put all that time into researching the accent she created and still got it wrong. Who doesn't love getting an A for trying? It's also super generous of you to say she's exceptionally smart for doing the exact same thing you're doing. And hey, working in a plug for your own work in almost every post you make is good hustle.
Bert, relax. We're all friends here ;)
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sounds fun but I've never really seen the appeal of 'superheroes beat up the Wehrmacht' on its own. It's like, without serious work, how do you explain any of it? If there's a superhero on the Allied side like, for example, Wonder Woman, how does WW2 even happen in recognisable terms? You've got a woman who can walk through an army on her own, how does the Third Reich last longer than a week? How did the Holocaust happen if there are superheroes? It's a bit messed up. It's like when comics tried to figure out how 9/11 happened on all their various heroes watches.

The comic series Uber did an interesting twist on it, which had all parties in WW2 trying to create super-soldiers, with some success, resulting in a superhuman-powered Armageddon. Even that wasn't brilliant though.

I like the DC animated stuff, but this looks a bit meh.