The Superhero's Girlfriend - Do We Care?

General discussions about superheroines!
Damselbinder

Even outside of the SHiP-sphere, it it difficult to avoid the recurring trope of the significant other of the superhero/ine du jour being imperilled. It's a nice, simple, easy way for a writer to generate stakes, and it's led to a cornucopia of scenes of love interests getting captured and dangled over pits and acid vats and so on. So in a way this thread is asking two questions:

1) Is this, like, a thing for anyone? Is there a particular extra spice beyond "attractive woman tied up" (etc) that you get from a Lois Lane/Mary-Jane Watson/Karen Page type character being put in peril?

2) Are there any particularly memorable scenes that have stuck in your imagination over the years? One that sticks in mine is a sequence from the old Superman/Batman animated crossover where the Joker kidnaps Lois Lane.

A slinky villainess crowing over a bound-and-gagged dark-haired lady in a fetching, pleated skirt? Rather appealing, I'd say.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

:coffee: It depends... For example for me there is no seasoning in seeing Lois Jane or Mary Jane or Karen Jane in danger. Now, if I find interest, when a superhero's girlfriend has abilities or powers like "Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham" or "DAREDEVIL #181" where Selina and Elektra are in danger. I clarify my English is not good, if there is something that seems unclear you can ask me.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mary Jane Watson. Lois Lane. Yeah they can be fun.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I remember Lois Lane tied up being a thing.

lois cover spread.jpg
lois cover spread.jpg (404.83 KiB) Viewed 689 times

right click and open in new tab or new window for full size

:supes:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

The attraction to superheroines for me is attractive women in interesting/sexy perils. I don’t find WW or Supergirl nearly as interesting as Batgirl, because the first two are pretty near indestructible. Superman is literally bullet proof so he has absolutely nothing on the line. Lois on the other hand has everything to lose tied to the front bumper of that truck....

Of course luring Batman or Superman into a trap with a sexy sidekick is a great motivator for an interesting death-trap/peril. I guess it also comes down to your kink, some people are here for a specific type of costume, like leotards, some like women beating the crap out of guys, some like the heroines beating other women. Torture, peril, bondage, lot of different kinks fall under this umbrella.

Personally, I love anytime eye-candy gets used as a pawn in a greater conflict.