THE James Bond is dead

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

...and I mean THE James Bond:
The one and only Sir Sean Connery has passed away today (aged 90) on the Bahamas.

He reached a good age but damn...I will miss him!
The Bond movies with him are all great or better.
And he had other fantastic movie roles as well.

I'm really sad now.
Could write endless about him....but have to stop for now.

RIP Sir Sean Connery!
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000125

Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

A very good actor, just no good at accents unless they were Scottish Spaniards /Egyptians or Scottish Estonian Russians.

He's in some of my fave films like The Man Who Would Be King, and great in Untouchables, Entrapment and about dozen others, but had some fuct up personal views, particularly on beating women.

Ironically I will probably remember him for the line he never said:-
"Dear Stoneybridgers.... LEAVE. ME. ALONE" 😂 (its from a UK comedy sketch show called Absolutely about 30 years ago)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

On the plus side he Only Lived Twice :giggle:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Certainly he was the best Bond but he had other roles that were equally enjoyable, including his Oscar for The Untouchables, as well as Hunt for Red October and others that Tallyho mentioned above. His low point was probably Zardoz in which he wore a friggin' diaper. Do not Google that unless you want an unwelcome lasting image of the man.

I loved the Mike Myers take off on Connery's chest hair in Austin Powers. Still brings up a guffaw from me. As does Darryl Hammond's take on Connery in Sat Night Live skits of Jeopardy. I'll take "Le Tits Now, Alex" for 80." "That's Let it Snow, Mr. Connery!"
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I liked when they were writing "Time Bandits" they wrote that the mask was removed to reveal Sean Connery when they never expected that they could get him so they were going to get someone cheaper that looked like him.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
...and I mean THE James Bond:
The one and only Sir Sean Connery has passed away today (aged 90) on the Bahamas.

He reached a good age but damn...I will miss him!
The Bond movies with him are all great or better.
And he had other fantastic movie roles as well.

I'm really sad now.
Could write endless about him....but have to stop for now.

RIP Sir Sean Connery!
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000125

Of course known for Bond

But also for Untouchables, Robin and Marian, Indiana and Jones and the Final Crusade, the League of Extradonary Gentleman and he had a small role in the Longest Day
Damselbinder

I'll never forget him as Ramirez in Highlander. He almost made Highlander 2 watchable from raw charisma.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

He's also really good in a superb under rated British drama called The Hill. It's black and white and set in a military Prison in South Africa in WW2. Its got a fantastic ensemble cast, the Brilliant Harry Andrews as the warden and Connery has never been better. It's drama not action but it's great drama. If you Yanks want to see a great Connery performance, watch that.

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

More great movies with him:

- A Bridge too far (one of my favorite movies)

Superb war movie with at least 10 actors you (should) know if you are over 30.
The score is really fantastic, especially "Dutch Rhapsody", Title 2 on this soundtrack suite (2:56)

- Outland
Connery as Marshall on a space colony...great setting, good thriller
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

"He almost made Highlander 2 watchable...."

The key word being... ALMOST.

The moment they suddenly became refugee aliens from the planet Zeist, it was fucking ..... ruined.
Damselbinder

Hey now hey now

At least it was better than "Highlander: the Source"
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago

- Outland
Connery as Marshall on a space colony...great setting, good thriller
Outland! Forgot all about Outland. Havent seen it for years. High Noon in space. It's a great film and hardly ever on.
Has the brilliant line -
<"What about your men, Marshall?" >
"My men? My men are shit." 😂

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago

Outland! Forgot all about Outland. Havent seen it for years. High Noon in space. It's a great film and hardly ever on.
Has the brilliant line -
<"What about your men, Marshall?" >
"My men? My men are shit." 😂
Yeah, a rather hidden gem that flick! Added pictures to to my post above.
Lately I watched it some years ago on DVD.
Perhaps I will watch it again in the next weeks.
Yesterday I watched "From Russia with Love".
Today maybe "A Bridge too far", although I have seen it at least ten times already. :hmmm:
Perhaps another one then....

Supergirllegend
Henchman
Henchman

RIP. What a legend!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Sad that he's gone, but damn what a life.

He did a particularly good job of finding good roles as he aged, going from leading man to mentor, to father and older gentleman.

And his career as a leading man was by no means a short one.

RIP Sean Connery. He will be missed, but remembered.
Deceiver
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
A very good actor, just no good at accents unless they were Scottish Spaniards /Egyptians or Scottish Estonian Russians.
He didn't try to do another accent. Connery was very single-minded individual. His own accent was acquired. He learnt to speak like a Scottish gentleman. Roger Moore did the similar; he had a Cockney accent.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Deceiver wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
He didn't try to do another accent. Connery was very single-minded individual. His own accent was acquired. He learnt to speak like a Scottish gentleman. Roger Moore did the similar; he had a Cockney accent.
I know he didn't it was a joke to illustrate he knew his limitations

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
"just no good at accents unless they were Scottish Spaniards /Egyptians or Scottish Estonian Russians"
Maybe he was doing a Lithuanian accent?

Do you think now that the conservative, UKIP, brexiteer acolytes of supreme chancellor cummings that manage this forum will deign to provide a Scottish flag in the flag settings?
Deceiver
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

James Bond was more than just Sean Connery, yet, it may never have had the same effect without him. Indirectly, the superheroine phenomena owes Bond a great debt. Bond mania inspired the likes of The Avengers with Emma Peel. Wonder Woman was influenced, accordingly, in the comics and onscreen. The Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman movie was loosely based on the Emma Peel inspired comics of the time. It's easy to see the Bond influence on the later CBS Wonder Woman series with Lynda Carter. With modern heroines like Black Widow, it's all too apparent. That only touches the surface as well...
ltrltr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Beyond being the definitive Bond, he was also great in The Rock, one of the 90s best action movies. Also, superb in Marnie, a Hitchcock film at the time he was Bond.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Thunder ball was my favorite Bond movie, plenty of scuba fights.... Dr No was a close second, how can you not love Ursula Andres getting put in ‘ye watery death trap. I only wish the crabs had worked out. (They were in the book and they were supposed to be in the movie, but they were just to limp during filming)