Variety: Wonder Woman 1984 Release Date Pushed to Christmas

General discussions about superheroines!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Wonder Woman 1984 Release Date Pushed to Christmas

:angry:

With Tenant raking in $20 million last weekend, I would have thought the way was clear to start reopening theaters.

I'd have expected Wonder Woman to double that take, and the next two weekends as well until Black Widow opens. The film would probably be in theaters until spring.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I expect more reshuffling in the coming weeks. Let me explain (and I'm really talking about the bigger films here):

Death on the Nile, acquired by Disney from the Fox merger, will still open on time and will do reasonably well.

The 'Marvel Films' will be moved down ' a slot' once more. For example : Black Widow will be February, Eternals now in May, Shang-Chi pushed to Quarter 3, Spiderman 3 in Quarter 4. This keeps up the tradition of Disney making a billion bucks every business quarter (or hasn't anyone noticed that?) just from the Marvel films alone. The shows on Disney + will also be slightly delayed to be timed with the releases. The good thing here is that there might be 5 Marvel films a year because they had time to figure out what to do with it all with the covid haitus.

Because Warner Brothers moved Wonder Woman 1984 to Christmas, Dune will most certainly move to Memorial Day Weekend. This is currently held by Godzilla vs King Kong, also made by Warner Brothers. Godzilla vs King Kong will be pushed to Quarter 3.

Fast 9 might be pushed to Jurassic World's slot in June. Jurassic pushed to Quarter 3. Both are made by Universal Studios. Hope not.

And keep in mind nothing has been heard of in regards to Spielberg's West Side Story, due also around Christmas. Or, and I'm sure all the good people are looking forward to this one, Coming 2 America - also due this Christmas. Both will more than likely be moved.

Looking into my 'purple haze', the only 'blockbuster' I see that will open this Fall / Winter is James Bond - it really doesn't need the American market to be a success financially.

- call me 'the guy that advised Tarkin to evacuate before the Death Star blew up.' :ss:
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Ya see! They're already thinking of pushing Black Widow back (in the recent news). Now if only I can think of those lottery numbers ...
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Just announced today : Black Widow actually takes over the May 7 2021 slot, Shang-Chi is now July 9 2021, The Eternals is November 5 2021. More than likely will push back Spider-man 3 which was December 2021.