Living in the shadow of the corona virus

Where derailed topics go to ....live?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm still waiting on mine, I'm chronic asthmatic and looking after my mum so had hoped I'd be higher up the list.

One thing I have heard from several is those who HAVE had Covid and recovered seem to be quite badly hit by the Atrazeneca vaccine - laid them out for a day, hot and cold flushes that sort of thing. Still way preferable to the illness and those who hadn't had it previously been fine other than a sore arm for an hour
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hey fine, you you all want to have a circle jerk in which ONLY you get to make unsubstantiated and hyperbolic claims on one side of the political spectrum go ahead but that's NOT about Covid, its about politics and given the statements made its clearly the upper class bourgeoisie grinding some rednecks into the dirt with some BS guilt trip.

BTW Tallyho, NOTHING you stated about China had nothing to do with MORE covid. We also wore MORE masks and we still got MORE covid issues. Your WHOLE list is 100% partisan. Not once do you mention the unconstitutional closing of businesses. How is playing golf causing Covid? HYPERBOLE

WHO forced businesses closed?
WHO put millions out of work?
WHO destroyed lives and families?
WHO cause suicide rates to sky rocket due to these closures and failed businesses?
WHO forced families to spend their 401k money today and not have a retirement?
WHO forced families to remove their kids from college due to no jobs?
WHO said masks were necessary then said they were then said wear three masks while going to a ball game and not wearing a mask?
WHO caused massive economic damage?
WHO destroyed whole industries?
WHO borrowed TRILLIONS and raked up the debt? (Yeah I blame trump for that).
WHO jailed people for being on a beach alone BUT didn't jail BLM or Antifa for not social distancing?
WHO put sick people into old peoples' homes?
WHO shuts down a restaurant's out door dining area while 50 feet away allows a movie studio to have outdoor catering?
WHO shut down small businesses but allows large corporations like Walmart and McDonalds to stay open?
WHO said churches cannot congregate even out doors but BLM and antifa can congregate and not social distance?

At least my list shows real cause and effect and not some gripe about a president going golfing.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I agree on the golf point. Unless one is going to make a causal link that by playing golf, that the nation's business is not getting done, that it's a time management issue, then what you have is perhaps bad optics, worse case scenario, pure surface shit, not anything that adds to the conversation in any meaningful way.
tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

Cuomo put Covid patients into nursing homes and got lauded by CNN all last summer. Democrat Governor of Michigan did the same thing. Democrat Governor did the same thing. But the liberals blame Trump for those deaths. now as to the travel ban being only partial lets see what Biden advised. During a March 12 press conference Biden said, the United States should not be overly dismissive of the outbreak, “but neither should we panic or fall back on xenophobia, labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration.”
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's not an either or situation. Fact number one: COVID-19 came from China, plain and simple, they are the country of origin. I also firmly believe that the Trump administration completely botched the handling of this pandemic. It is my opinion that some folks are really loathed to acknowledge fact number one because on some visceral level it lets Trump off the hook for his mishandling of this virus. I don't see it that way. China has largely gotten a pass worldwide for the damage COVID-19 has caused in my view.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Less than a thousand dead listed Stateside yesterday by NYT. Thank god, but still 900+ too many.

Stay safe every body

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

IMSancho wrote:
3 years ago
I made an appointment to get vaccinated on April 4. Not sure which one I'm getting.
just made an appointment for my first dose (not sure which vaccine) thur mar 11.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

just received round 1 of the moderna vaccine. no side effects except for a mildy sore arm for about 15 to 30 minutes. am scheduled for round 2 april 8. i now reside where i grew up in the state of pa. my area just in the last week or so has seemed to aquire quite a number of doses of moderna vaccine, and starting i beleive today or tomorrow a second mass vac site is opening with the j & j vaccine. when you are able, get a vaccine. stay safe everyone.
Last edited by dlo005 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Just over a million had first dose in Wales about 1/3rd of population, around 220,000 have had 2 jabs. I'm still waiting on my first, my mum is due her second any day now

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Still trying to get an appointment here in NJ. Have to go online at 8:15 tomorrow morning to the county website and hope I get through for any available vaccine app'ts (providing there are shots available). No green arrow, you're out of luck. So much for the gov't reaching out to us to help. Quite frustrating it is.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

^^^So frustrating you've turned into Yoda

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Get a fucking shot I can't!!

:please:

Damselbinder

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Get a fucking shot I can't!!

:please:
Purchase a 2001 Honda Civic you must.
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

Wish is what we want.jpg
Wish is what we want.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
It is because it shall?
Bert

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Still trying to get an appointment here in NJ. Have to go online at 8:15 tomorrow morning to the county website and hope I get through for any available vaccine app'ts (providing there are shots available). No green arrow, you're out of luck. So much for the gov't reaching out to us to help. Quite frustrating it is.
According to the published schedule for B.C., I'm eligible for my first shot in early July. Count your blessings.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I got my first Pfizer shot today.

They were very efficent.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm booked in for Friday. The actual mechanics of the vaccine delivery haven't been well handled in the UK. People with a vaccination centre in their village given appointments 18 Miles away.. They ring to cancel and get given an appointment... at the centre in their village.
It should have been planned better given they have had a year to work out how to do it. Two people in the same household given appointments in 2 different locations on 2 different days etc.

dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
I'm booked in for Friday. The actual mechanics of the vaccine delivery haven't been well handled in the UK. People with a vaccination centre in their village given appointments 18 Miles away.. They ring to cancel and get given an appointment... at the centre in their village.
It should have been planned better given they have had a year to work out how to do it. Two people in the same household given appointments in 2 different locations on 2 different days etc.
glad to see your getting "jabbed." its the same here in the usa, at least my area in state of pa. im a vet so the local va about 25 miles away opened up to veterans only a few weeks ago. thats where i got jabbed. everything else seems dependant which hospital health group one belongs to as to where you need to go for the vac or if your eligible for it or not. very very confusing.
Last edited by dlo005 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

They categorized people in the UK according to age and medical risk (fair enough) and been working their way down the categories. But they should have factored in post code (zip code) to actually order the vacc program efficiently. As a geography grad such inefficiency screams against ever fibre of my being! It wouldn't have been hard to do.

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Same here. It's been a mess in my state. Can someone who knows this stuff a lot better than I do tell me why using hospitals was a bad idea to administer the vaccine? Yes, there would obviously have to have been staffing issues and space accommodations in place to pull that off, but I don't see that logistical issues could not be overcome. I know someone who knows someone, so I should be getting my first dose relatively soon hopefully.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
tallyho wrote:
3 years ago
Same here. It's been a mess in my state. Can someone who knows this stuff a lot better than I do tell me why using hospitals was a bad idea to administer the vaccine? Yes, there would obviously have to have been staffing issues and space accommodations in place to pull that off, but I don't see that logistical issues could not be overcome. I know someone who knows someone, so I should be getting my first dose relatively soon hopefully.
In my state (Mass) they have been using hospitals, pharmacies and local health centers. When I went online you could chose the one you went to.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

The home visits vaccinations for the vulnerable have been very well done, I will say that much but the standard jabs have not had a lot of thought. They laid on free buses to the temporary hospital set up for the jabs but when I rang to rearrange an appointment and they gave me one there no one actually mentioned the free buses which kinda defeats the point of having them.

RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

They opened us all up for vaccination but everywhere around me is booked up for 2 months solid with appointments so looks like I'll just keep waiting. Closest mass distribution center is an hour+ drive one way and I hardly ever leave the house or have human contact so it's not something I'm too worried about. Hopefully some local distribution picks up soon.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Whilst it's frustrating the positive is that whilst you are not being vaccinated others ARE, which is still lowering your risk of exposure aswell as the death rate.
We only lost 50 people in the UK on Tuesday, it was 1820 on 21st Jan.

Just over half the UK pop have had 1 jab and about 5% gave had both. They are innoculating around 250,000 + a day, sometime 325,000 on a good day (depending on level of vaccines, resources and volunteers) so another million every 3-4 days. So still a long way to go until total vaccination barring the wankers who won't take it, but most of the very vulnerable have been done. My 84 yo mum has had both as has my dad in a nursing home.

So, getting there. I still think the relaxation of the laws for Easter is a mistake that will cause a rise, but that's the nature of the fuckwit we got in charge

tamonicus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I got my first shot (Moderna) on Mar 12 and should, in theory, get my second on or about Apr 9. Am awaiting an email with the particulars. I've already moved many appointments with the expectations I'll feel lousy on late next week.

For over a year now, I've behaved the way I'm supposed to. But don't confuse that with me being happy about it. Also I'm increasingly irritated by people who complain about the rules *and* don't follow them. Because of their selfishness, rules are tighter than they would otherwise be.

We all have a role to combat this once in a century pandemic that has taken 2.8 million lives by official counts. For those who do what they're supposed to/the best they can and get sick, I sympathize with them greatly. For those who refuse to do their part and get sick, I sympathize with them very little.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I got my first shot yesterday (Moderns). My shoulder hurts a lot and I feel really tired, but otherwise I'm ok.

The second shot is on May 2.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I got mine on Friday, was a bit Fluey Friday night, head fuzzy, ache across the shoulders, arm a bit sore, but fine by Sat night.
Had Astra Zeneca

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

over the counter pain reliever works wonders for the day after effects, just no aspirin(or you'll grow a third arm!)
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

RedMountain wrote:
3 years ago
They opened us all up for vaccination but everywhere around me is booked up for 2 months solid with appointments so looks like I'll just keep waiting. Closest mass distribution center is an hour+ drive one way and I hardly ever leave the house or have human contact so it's not something I'm too worried about. Hopefully some local distribution picks up soon.
My sister got her appointment WAYYYYY before me, but at the time she got it, it was like 2 months in the future.
Then I got mine two days from when I made it, ahead of hers.

So if you made your appointment a long time ago, you can probably go online and get another one sooner. That's what she did. :)
Just be sure to cancel the original one so they can give your spot to someone else.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The european roll out of the vaccine feels relatively slow, the management of which has been governed by the European Union. Spain, where I live has one of the better roll out rates in Europe and yet is miles behind the United Kingdom. I personally am in an odd situation - I have personal private health insurance (not being Spanish) and so am not provided for within the the national health system. However, the Spanish government understands there are many people that fall in the same category as myself and have been in touch to make sure we get put on a list for vaccination when our time comes. Our place on the list will be the same as if we were within the health system, and for myself, not being a frontline worker, nor vulnerable, and being under 50 years, I will be way down the order for being treted. A preliminary estimate puts my date of vaccination late into 2021.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tamonicus wrote:
3 years ago
I got my first shot (Moderna) on Mar 12 and should, in theory, get my second on or about Apr 9. Am awaiting an email with the particulars. I've already moved many appointments with the expectations I'll feel lousy on late next week.

For over a year now, I've behaved the way I'm supposed to. But don't confuse that with me being happy about it. Also I'm increasingly irritated by people who complain about the rules *and* don't follow them. Because of their selfishness, rules are tighter than they would otherwise be.

We all have a role to combat this once in a century pandemic that has taken 2.8 million lives by official counts. For those who do what they're supposed to/the best they can and get sick, I sympathize with them greatly. For those who refuse to do their part and get sick, I sympathize with them very little.
I am surprise they didn't schedule your second appoitnment when you had your first shot, that how they did in Massachusetts.

The biggest violators of breaking the rules in the U.S are no surprise the politicians.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

In UK they just gave a general date of 10-12 weeks for the next one (jab) as they couldn't 100% guarantee supplies would be available in 3 months

dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

just reveived my dose two of the moderna vaccine. got home, walked my german shorthaired pointer gretchen 2 miles, then mowed and trimmed my yard. for me no side affects at all. stay safe everyone.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

It's been 17 days since my second Pfizer shot. :) Last Friday Colorado opened up Covid shots for ages 16+. Just be happy you aren't in Germany they've made hash of it!.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Belgium seemed to be struggling to get people to take the jab, about 2 weeks ago on the news they showed a facility that can issue 5,000 vaccines a day... And just 200 turned up. I hope that take up has improved as vaccinations are the only end to this.
Wales had its lowest deaths and cases numbers for 6 months last week and we are now at about 50% of the population having 1 jab. UK is about the same, just over half with 30m plus having had at least one and 5m having had 2

dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

tally, i saw on the news a few days back that london went a full day without any covid related deaths. i dont beleive we have had a major city in the us do that as yet. thats encouraging.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

dlo005 wrote:
3 years ago
tally, i saw on the news a few days back that london went a full day without any covid related deaths. i dont beleive we have had a major city in the us do that as yet. thats encouraging.
oops i just found an artical from the bbc saying its happened twice. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lon ... rus%20test.
Last edited by dlo005 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I had my first shot on Wed. and had no side effects or even arm pain. Now I'm wondering if I was given a placebo.
:giggle:

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I just got my first COVID shot of Moderna this afternoon. I had to go 30 minutes away to get the shot, but no matter, it was important to me to get the shot. I go back for my second shot next month. Luckily for me, I have had no side effects or grown a second head. I really did not have an abnormal fear of contracting COVID, and likewise, I had no second thoughts or hesitation in terms of getting the vaccine either. I personally do find it kind of surprising that a lot of folks in my life, especially quite a few of my friends and co-workers, many of whom are rather thoughtful, intelligent, level headed, sane adults are either hesitant or adamant in not getting the vaccine, or otherwise are taking a wait and see approach to getting vaccinated. I find it surprising in that I think in everybody's life, there are folks who fall into the category of troublemaker, troll, or contrarian, but the hesitant and wait and see folks in my life certainly do not fall into those categories. Just because I do not share these folks fears and anxiety over getting the vaccine does not mean I think those folks ought to be shamed or that derogatory remarks be attributed towards them. Everybody is entitled to feel however they want to feel on the subject of the health and safety issues regarding the COVID vaccine.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Reading this I feel envious of your countries. In my country last year they made the longest quarantine in the world (March 19 to November 9). The state financed the people with monetary emission which created today an inflation of %4.8 in March 2021 which is equivalent to %75.5 per year. In January, as there were very few vaccinations, the politicians of my country, deputies, senators, etc. vaccinated themselves and their families in what ended with the resignation of the Minister of Health. The worst is not over, since we are in the 11th most infected country, with only 13% of the population vaccinated and without vaccines, with a sanitary collapse and a strong inflation.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Don't worry, the US as f-ed up on the borrowing and boosted our national debt well into the 25 tril range. But lucky for you we don't feel any inflation cause that increase inflates the whole world including your country. Ah money modern theory or basically "how to mismanage government and pass the cost onto every other country".
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Don't worry, the US as f-ed up on the borrowing and boosted our national debt well into the 25 tril range. But lucky for you we don't feel any inflation cause that increase inflates the whole world including your country. Ah money modern theory or basically "how to mismanage government and pass the cost onto every other country".
The ruling party stole the vaccines from the elderly to vaccinate themselves. I will pass you the wikipedia link
[https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esc%C3%A1 ... _Argentina][/url]
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

3m dead globally.
UK has only 2600 new cases and 200 deaths. Friday, (we had peaked at 60,000+ a day infected and 1800 deaths). Starting to reopen now which will cause a surge but hopefully with over half population vaccinated at 1 jab it won't be anywhere near as bad as the previous ones.
Heart goes out to the countries without enough vaccines. The whole blood clot side effect debate seems pretty pointless when you got a 1 in 30 chance of dying if you get Covid and a 1 in 5 chance of longterm health issues against a 1 in 100,000 chance or literally a 1 in million chance of developing a blood clot depending which vaccine you get. It's a no brainer.
Stay safe everyone

helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

My mom (69 years old) got her first Astrazeneca jab today. In july, second one. Slow as fuck here, who knows when I will be able to get a jab myself... no wonder there are still tons of new infected and 400-500 deaths each day.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

helstar wrote:
2 years ago
My mom (69 years old) got her first Astrazeneca jab today. In july, second one. Slow as fuck here, who knows when I will be able to get a jab myself... no wonder there are still tons of new infected and 400-500 deaths each day.
I don't see that you've chosen a flag so may I ask where "here" is for you, that's slow as fuck?

helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Italy
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
The whole blood clot side effect debate seems pretty pointless when you got a 1 in 30 chance of dying if you get Covid and a 1 in 5 chance of longterm health issues against a 1 in 100,000 chance or literally a 1 in million chance of developing a blood clot depending which vaccine you get. It's a no brainer.
Stay safe everyone
If I had a dollar for every time I heard "literally a 1 in a million chance of developing a blood clot" in the last week I could have bought my odds of winning a big lottery jackpot down to literally 1 in a million :)

It's not as clear as "get injection, immediately fall over dead from blood clot." Delays in symptoms presenting, being reported, clotting and conditions diagnosed, and correlated with vaccine injection. All that's messier in the US thanks to our... diverse healthcare system.

And it's not purely a numbers game, because the public isn't purely rational. They have to find a path that minimizes damage to public trust in vaccination.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Imagineer wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
The whole blood clot side effect debate seems pretty pointless when you got a 1 in 30 chance of dying if you get Covid and a 1 in 5 chance of longterm health issues against a 1 in 100,000 chance or literally a 1 in million chance of developing a blood clot depending which vaccine you get. It's a no brainer.
Stay safe everyone
If I had a dollar for every time I heard "literally a 1 in a million chance of developing a blood clot" in the last week I could have bought my odds of winning a big lottery jackpot down to literally 1 in a million :)

It's not as clear as "get injection, immediately fall over dead from blood clot." Delays in symptoms presenting, being reported, clotting and conditions diagnosed, and correlated with vaccine injection. All that's messier in the US thanks to our... diverse healthcare system.

And it's not purely a numbers game, because the public isn't purely rational. They have to find a path that minimizes damage to public trust in vaccination.
First off its not a 1 in 30 chance of death from Covid. No idea where that comes from. Survival rate is over 98%.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothec ... bf3ad46159
Yes if you're in your 80s the odds go up.

As for the blood clot thing, its like 8 cases vs millions of shots. Statistically irrelevant. Its shocking with drugs not going through a formal FDA process that its ONLY 8 or so cases. Kind of says something about the uselessness of the FDA.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I was basing it on a 96-97% survival rate, 3-4 dying in a hundred roughly 1 in 30 if you get it(as in the comparator for if you gef the vaccine)
BUT its almost irrelevant, if we take your numbers it's 1 in 50 which is still enormously worse than 1 in 100,000 which was my whole point.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
I was basing it on a 96-97% survival rate, 3-4 dying in a hundred roughly 1 in 30 if you get it(as in the comparator for if you gef the vaccine)
BUT its almost irrelevant, if we take your numbers it's 1 in 50 which is still enormously worse than 1 in 100,000 which was my whole point.
True. I still that number is still over reaction but the 8/1 mil is absurd.