Rewrites

Want to just talk about stories? Float a request, do some research, recruit a partner in crime? Then come on in and have yourself a pint.
Artee
Henchman
Henchman

Sorry for using this subforum as a Q&A board, but what does this forum think about rewrites of an old story? Say for example I've written a story called Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-Woman, and it's been a while and I feel I wrote it like shit and I want to rewrite it, maybe to change a few parts of the world building, to fix plot holes and characters, etc.

Would it be bad to repost it as a new story and delete the old, or edit the old story?
Bert

Bit of a slippery slope, no? Where do you draw the line and who decides?
CJS
Henchman
Henchman

Just my two cents, but I’d probably leave the old one up, write the new one, and spell out at the start of the new that it is a rewrite. But it is certainly your prerogative to take down the old one if it really bugs you.
Sapphire Angel - Superheroine
Book 1 — Superheroine (complete)
Book 2 — Power Play (complete)
Book 3 — Deconstruction (complete)
Book 4 — Savage Dawn (complete)
Book 5 — Savage Vengeance (coming January 2024)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I would say it's fine to repost it as new depending on what you are changing and how old the original is. I would just state that right at the start. If the original had comments then I would leave it for others to learn from - you can always edit the first and last post and say 'look guys I wasn't happy with the way I did XYZ So I have re done the story, you can find it here' and post a link
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

What that airplane guy just overhead said, I second that.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mlod
Henchman
Henchman

Sometimes I've not read rewrites, and sometimes I've happily read them, but either way I third what the ones above said, would seem preferable to keep (and link to and from) the original
Artee
Henchman
Henchman

Bert wrote:
4 years ago
Bit of a slippery slope, no? Where do you draw the line and who decides?
Exactly, that's why the forum decides, not me, which is why I'm asking here to gauge the general consensus before risking anything that breaks forum rules or something.

But alright, I'll do what everyone said if I did somehow hypothetically encounter the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-Woman rewrite scenario :L
Bert

All good. I just had visions of some writers making minor tweaks and reposting just to get their stories back into circulation on the front page, but it seems like that isn't worrying people.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Bert wrote:
4 years ago
All good. I just had visions of some writers making minor tweaks and reposting just to get their stories back into circulation on the front page, but it seems like that isn't worrying people.
Sir, you cut me to the quick! That said, I think I need to rewrite a scene from my Batgirl: A Clear Loss of Dignity story. I think I left a dangling participle at the end of a crucial scene. Can't have that!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

If it is your story, do as you please.