Captain Marvel news

General discussions about superheroines!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
That's debatable? The lighting in the scene makes it hard to tell what color her costume is, I think the light caused by the beams may be reflecting a color that 'looks' like her regular colors off the Star Force uniform as a sort of foreshadowing.
Hmm.. you may be right about that. I don't see the double horizontal gold bars that go out from the star on the Captain Marvel costume.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
That's debatable? The lighting in the scene makes it hard to tell what color her costume is, I think the light caused by the beams may be reflecting a color that 'looks' like her regular colors off the Star Force uniform as a sort of foreshadowing.
Hmm.. you may be right about that. I don't see the double horizontal gold bars that go out from the star on the Captain Marvel costume.
In the bondage scene, there's red light reflecting in the metal of her costume and some red hue in her face. If her collar was red, it would show as red like the metal, not green. Her collar is green, ergo she's wearing the green costume, not the one with red.

Cheers!

:lynda1:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
5 years ago
Her head is being electrocuted and she has exactly the same blank, dull expression.
Hmm, I thought the point to acting was that it was the actor's reaction to what was happening that supported making the scene "real". Assuming what is happening to a character and therefore deciding the actor's performance is poor if it does not align with your assumptions will always be immersion breaking I guess.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
shevek
Producer
Producer

All through this trailer she has the exact same bored expression as if she is going through the motions filming this movie.
The only exception is when she cracks a smile for a split second in the car with Nick Fury.
It strains incredulity to believe that the producers of this movie didn't pick out any scenes at all for the trailer where she shows more enthusiasm for her role. They had a whole movie to choose from, and all they could select were blank stares?
I'm inclined to think, based on this sampling, that there simply *aren't* many scenes where she seems truly exuberant and revelant.*
She has many of the same powers as Superman, and yet is completely stoic and stone-faced about it.

I'm probably wrong, but hey, there's a decent chance that I'm not. :)
This could still wind up being the movie that tanks the new social justice-fronted MCU before it even begins.

Do we need to reward Marvel simply because they bothered to make Carol Danvers look like a woman? (somewhat shapely, and with long blond hair)
Or do we need a bit more depth from them to cough up our ten bucks? Again...guess we'll see. I'm sure at this point I'll probably go see this regardless.
Skrull punching and whatnot.

*(yes, I know that's not a word but apparently there is NO word that actually means 'engaged in the act of reveling'?)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

shevek wrote:
5 years ago

*(yes, I know that's not a word but apparently there is NO word that actually means 'engaged in the act of reveling'?)
Er...there is and its....revelling (which is engaging in the act of revelry) :giggle:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
All through this trailer she has the exact same bored expression as if she is going through the motions filming this movie.
The only exception is when she cracks a smile for a split second in the car with Nick Fury.
It strains incredulity to believe that the producers of this movie didn't pick out any scenes at all for the trailer where she shows more enthusiasm for her role. They had a whole movie to choose from, and all they could select were blank stares?
I'm inclined to think, based on this sampling, that there simply *aren't* many scenes where she seems truly exuberant and revelant.*
She has many of the same powers as Superman, and yet is completely stoic and stone-faced about it.

I'm probably wrong, but hey, there's a decent chance that I'm not. :)
This could still wind up being the movie that tanks the new social justice-fronted MCU before it even begins.

Do we need to reward Marvel simply because they bothered to make Carol Danvers look like a woman? (somewhat shapely, and with long blond hair)
Or do we need a bit more depth from them to cough up our ten bucks? Again...guess we'll see. I'm sure at this point I'll probably go see this regardless.
Skrull punching and whatnot.

It's deliberate I think. Women, especially young and/or attractive ones, get told to smile a lot. This is a female led, female directed movie and it's hoping to appeal to a female audience. So they've set her out as a heroine who isn't trying to look pretty, or approachable, or friendly. I mean the most clear action shot in the trailer is her punching an innocuous looking old lady in the face. They're evoking a sense of power, not fishing for approval.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I think it's a little early to be projecting what the heck is going on here from one two-minute or so trailer. Yes, most facial shots are serious but that really doesn't tell a full story. Shall we calm down and wait until March 2019?
I mean speculation is fun, sure. Maybe let's discuss possible plot points, and villains and such, eh?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
spikeeagle
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Been a Marvel fan all my life, one thing most people don't know is that, Marvel movie does better when Marvel did not produce themselves thru MCU.

Look at how Marvel Studio production like Fantastic 4, Daredevil, Captain America and etc, fare against Licensed production by Paramount and Fox (Now Disney) such as Deadpool, Spiderman and X Men). I am not going to say MCU tanked those character, they are simply behind licensee wrt production quality and box office.

Problem with MCU or Marvel Studio, as far as I can see, is that they are too much trying to preserve the whole comic book universe, and in the end, they basically make a movie out of a comic book, where if you screen cap the movie and put it into a picture to comic software, you will basically have an issue of a comic book instead. Which if anyone are to interest with that, they would probably just go ahead and buy a comic book instead.

While big name movie producer know what people want, they know how to use the script to pull people in, while not every time they succeed in doing so, fact remain if you want to be doing good in a movie, you need to draw in not just the die hard comic book fan, and even so, you need something else other than the major storyline that have been followed on by every issue in your own comic.

Look at how Hollywood producer remake popular games, (such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill) and so one, where they give audience a new angle to look at the issue, when I am watching Resident evil (the first few) I don't feel like I am playing the game, and that is how Marvel should have done its movie, because right now, I felt like I am watching a talking comic book with real life action on a screen.

That said, I am still going to see Captain marvel when it comes out, mainly because of Brie Larson, but also because she is Carol Danver, one of my favourite heroine of all time, shame she wasn't playing Ms Marvel. I reckon the costume would be a lot more sexier than Captain Marvel.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Spikeeagle - The fact that they set this movie in the 90s means they are pre-emptively *wiping out* (retconning) any possible evidence of the Ms Marvel or Warbird costume in any Marvel films. Because in the 90s, Ms Marvel was definitely in that sexy black costume. She was also in that costume in the early to mid 2000s. There are several trade paperbacks out (I even found them at my local library) of the issues from that era..conclusive proof that the "90s" Carol Danvers was Ms Marvel, not Captain Marvel (who was Monica Rambeau aka Photon). She was in the black costume even in the early Civil War book, I believe.

What I think is going to happen is that those trade paperbacks featuring Carol as Ms Marvel will be sold through of their remaining stock and not reprinted. This will conform to Marvel Comics' current social justice agenda under Sana Amanat & Tom Brevoort etc where 1) "Ms Marvel" is actually now Kamala Khan and has been for several years and 2) Carol Danvers is actually now Captain Marvel and has been for several years. With the movie coming out, they will try to re-push the books where she's in the new red-and-blue outfit with the sunburst, and *only* those books.

My guess is that you will not see a whisper of acknowledgement of the time that the character Carol Danvers spent in any other costume (the original 70s Ms Marvel one with the scarf; the 80s-00s black sexy one sometimes known as Warbird; or the red-and-white one known as Binary). And though Karla Sofen (Moonstone) might at some point be set up as a major antagonist for Carol Danvers in a future movie, you will also never see Karla Sofen's version of the Ms Marvel costume, either (which was also tight and sexy).

There will nothing but the current Captain Marvel design shown. I'm pretty sure. But I'd love to be wrong.
Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
They had a whole movie to choose from, and all they could select were blank stares?
It's deliberate I think. Women, especially young and/or attractive ones, get told to smile a lot. This is a female led, female directed movie and it's hoping to appeal to a female audience. So they've set her out as a heroine who isn't trying to look pretty, or approachable, or friendly. I mean the most clear action shot in the trailer is her punching an innocuous looking old lady in the face. They're evoking a sense of power, not fishing for approval.
Actually, there are two directors in a team who directed this movie and one is female. But I have no doubt that the male partner in the team agrees
with the above philosophy, sure.

Yes I do think it's in the whole "Don't tell women to smile" vein. "Whatever you do...don't tell Brie Larson to smile" should become a meme.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

:lynda1: Captain Marvel Trailer - New Footage and Secret Villain Theory

the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Spikeeagle - The fact that they set this movie in the 90s means they are pre-emptively *wiping out* (retconning) any possible evidence of the Ms Marvel or Warbird costume in any Marvel films. Because in the 90s, Ms Marvel was definitely in that sexy black costume. She was also in that costume in the early to mid 2000s.
And thank god, F'k that costume, seriously. I hate it. Any 'Marvel'(as in Captain/MS Marvel) movie based on a Kree empowered warrior NOT utilizing a costume with the Hala Star can go crap itself for all I care. The Warbird costume was NOT character appropriate, its symbolism meant nothing, it's history meant nothing. The costume was sexy sure, but in every other way it sucked. We can have costumes that are sexy and DON'T suck though, I don't mind those ones.

Anyhow, the movie isn't pre-emptively retconning anything about Warbird. You can't retcon something that hasn't been established So far as we know there never was a Warbird in the MCU, theres been no mention of a Warbird therefore it can't be retconned unless they mention that she was Warbird at some point in a movie before Captain Marvel comes out... like an extended version of Infinity War or something, THEN went and pretend like no one ever said that later and insist that she was never Warbird. Retconing requires established information... that's not to say they couldn't retcon something ELSE with the movie set in the 90's.... just that anything to do with Captain Marvel herself can't be retconned because nothings yet been established.
theScribbler wrote:
5 years ago
:lynda1: Captain Marvel Trailer - New Footage and Secret Villain Theory
The only thing I heard in that entire video was at the end when he said 'Click here to learn about the new live action Avatar the Last Airbender....' and realizing it wasn't a joke. Seriously, I love Marvel, I love comics and superheroes... but Avatar is my true friggin love xD Avengers Infinity What!?

xD The costume looks really good on her even in the behind the scenes thing there.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Perhaps Brie is just an average actress. I can’t think of any significant role she’s taken on yet. Her blank stare might just be how she interprets the character, and she removed the character’s likeability in doing so.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
Perhaps Brie is just an average actress. I can’t think of any significant role she’s taken on yet
She's won an Academy Award for the movie "Room" which had nothing to do with Superheroine peril but plenty of peril nevertheless. Worth watching.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Good to know. Hopefully she brought that same quality to this role. Maybe it’s harder for actors to portray such characters as they aren’t quite human.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's less about the actors and more how the director wants the characters played since the director decides which version of a scene is used. Unless the studio over rides the director or brings in a different one, the actor doesn't have much choice it what appears in the final version unless they are an A-lister with a record of highly profitable films.
Damselbinder

All I'll say is, Henry Cavill didn't smile in the Man of Steel trailer, and no-one was bitching about secret SJW conspiracies not to get men to smile.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
Perhaps Brie is just an average actress. I can’t think of any significant role she’s taken on yet
She's won an Academy Award for the movie "Room" which had nothing to do with Superheroine peril but plenty of peril nevertheless. Worth watching.
Yeah, but the pile of a-historical crap that was Braveheart won Best Picture over Babe ffs and Hopkins played a totally hammy Lecter for 32 mins and won Best Actor so Academy Awards dont mean jack! :giggle:
(If you want to see a brilliant portrayal of Lecter watch Manhunter where Brian Cox shows how to play scary-mad brilliantly)

I've not seen her in anything and will give it a fair chance but she does look a bit expressionless in most of the scenes but as said above that could be what was required by the script/director - we have seen her for probably less than a minute of screen time in total so far and not in any complete scene I'm more than happy to watch her knock it out of the park in the film if she does so. The smile business is ridiculous though and completely unwarranted. I think its fine to say she looks a bit blank in the trailers, thats just passing comment on what we can see but to have a go at her over posters etc when none of that is her call and she is just posing the way she has been directed or in some cases a stock image is used digitally to create them, then that is beyond idiotic. Great to see her hit back with the smiley versions, shows she's got a gsoh

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
5 years ago
sugarcoater wrote:
5 years ago
Yeah, but the pile of a-historical crap that was Braveheart won Best Picture over Babe ffs and Hopkins played a totally hammy Lecter for 32 mins and won Best Actor so Academy Awards dont mean jack! :giggle:
(If you want to see a brilliant portrayal of Lecter watch Manhunter where Brian Cox shows how to play scary-mad brilliantly)

I've not seen her in anything and will give it a fair chance but she does look a bit expressionless in most of the scenes but as said above that could be what was required by the script/director - we have seen her for probably less than a minute of screen time in total so far and not in any complete scene I'm more than happy to watch her knock it out of the park in the film if she does so. The smile business is ridiculous though and completely unwarranted. I think its fine to say she looks a bit blank in the trailers, thats just passing comment on what we can see but to have a go at her over posters etc when none of that is her call and she is just posing the way she has been directed or in some cases a stock image is used digitally to create them, then that is beyond idiotic. Great to see her hit back with the smiley versions, shows she's got a gsoh
You get a thumbs up from me just for the Manhunter reference. Best Hannibal movie, imho.

To avoid derailing, I suppose it's thematically appropriate that she's a bit of a blank, since there are memory issues. It'll be fun to see her discovering herself as a personality as well as just her history. Like, the more she learns about herself the more human she becomes, and so on.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
YOU JUST MADE AN ENEMY FOR LIFE!

I'M GOING OUT TO BURN MY GOLDIE LOOKIN CHAIN ABLUMS RIGHT NOW! FUCK THE FRESK PRINCE OF CWMBRAN!

also

Good Shout on Brian Cox, also, the voice of Scolar Visari in Killzone on top of about 40 million other things.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

NEW TRAILER! Squeeeeeeeeee!

wondergirlsupragirl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This looks fabulous! :yes:
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I love that the mohawk helmet is back

And Jude Law is Yonn Rogg it seems not Mar Vel, but then, you can't trust them space nazi Kree!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
I love that the mohawk helmet is back

And Jude Law is Yonn Rogg it seems not Mar Vel, but then, you can't trust them space nazi Kree!
the mohawk was never gone xDIt looks pretty beast when its on fire as well so... why not keep it for the cg heavy space fight stuff right?
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

a good point and well made
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Seeing Fury with stitches above his eye makes me wonder if they are gonna do a Hot Tub Time Machine and have a series of set pieces where you think 'Oh that's how it happened' only for it not to be (until the last one obviously) like the one armed bell hop in HTTM, Crispin Glover

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

New trailer bitches!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well I think that clears up any concerns that Carol is just Space Barbie with one expression.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Well I think that clears up any concerns that Carol is just Space Barbie with one expression.
But she isn't SMILING...

:giggle:

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
But she isn't SMILING...

:giggle:
Hey a smirk is totes a smile! If it isn't I may have a problem myself O.O

No the REAL mystery in Captain Marvel... Nay, ALL the MCU is....

Why does EVERYBODY know English!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
No the REAL mystery in Captain Marvel... Nay, ALL the MCU is....

Why does EVERYBODY know English!
Because they wouldn't be able to read the script without it thus creating a passive aggressive discrimination against all those aliens who speak plutonian etc
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It goes back to Star Trek (The Original Series) because then you don't have to waste time translating or inserting subtitles. Besides PETA would protest if they stuck Babelfishes in their ears. :)
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

The trailers are looking better, but apparently Samuel L leaked in an interview that her big trump card for Thanos is that she can time travel as a power and is the most powerful character in the MCU...which is...just...WHAT??? One of the reasons I don't care for the MCU anymore, they ignore the comics mostly and just do whatever they want. More and more this just smells like "she has to be amazing because reasons." Still hope the film is good, but I can't understand why they have to tone down Thor and Hulk power level wise and promote Captain Marvel as the most powerful character in the MCU...unless they have a certain agenda to hold to. Even her binary form was more powerful in the comics than Captain Marvel so I just don't get it I guess.

It's not just this either, I generally had a huge issue with Infinity War with how easily they allowed Thanos to pummel Hulk, when in reality, Hulk has gone toe to toe and had several huge fights with Thanos in the comics. That fight should have been more like Hulk vs. Abomination in the Ed Norton Hulk movie, something long and drawn out with tension and power. Instead they make Hulk look like a wuss to build Thanos up so that top billed RDJ can look cool and be allowed to hold his own vs. Thanos in a half functional Iron Man suit for several minutes, even to the point he draws blood on Thanos when Hulk couldn't even faze him with a punch. Too much Hollywood BS for me in a lot of these films, which is why I prefer the smaller "world building" or origin films like Black Panther, the first Iron Man/Captain America, etc.
shevek
Producer
Producer

First of all: Femina - with all due respect, a smirk is not a smile. It's the difference between condescension and exuberance.

The social outrage types who drumbeat the mantra "stop telling women to smile" thereby attempting to topple the patriarchy? They're the ones who smirk at normies, believing that they are higher on the Progressive Stack, creating a new moral hierarchy where they alone feel that they are on the Right Side of History. Conservative Christians used to act like that in the 80s, which was annoying, but at least you didn't have to see them do it that much, because they didn't live in your neighborhood.

Now it is the progressives' turn to play the role of the Church Lady, and if you live in a hipster zone like I do (or heck, in Portland like half the SHIP producers) they are all around you. I walk down the street and see these social media-obsessed narcissists who believe they are inherently superior to me in a moral and sociopolitical sense. They smirk at me with their noses up in the air while striding proudly into the nearest artisanal restaurant. Isn't that special?

I've seen this played out a thousand times. And that is certainly condescension, not exuberance. Brie is not exuberant and fun-loving about portraying the role of Carol Danvers - she is looking down her nose at commoners who need to be taught a lesson about their deficiency, and viewers can sense that.

And as far as Captain Marvel's overpowering issues...it's even worse than that, Red Mountain - not only do has it been revealed she can move planets and travel through time (making her the Marvel equivalent of Superman, when Marvel never really needed such a character before) - it's already been leaked that Captain Marvel is the one who saves the day in Avengers: Endgame, the movie that comes *after* her titular film.

Her victory has been assured - she has been made into the ultimate unstoppable Mary Sue. "She has to be amazing because reasons" is accurate, except that we damn well know the reason: even though they don't really have a single 'leading lady' in the Marvel Universe (they're all team players if you think about it, except maybe for She-Hulk), they were going to generate one out of thin air even if it means they have to reboot a title with five #1 issues in four years each time the sales plummet precipitously (which is what has happened with the Captain Marvel comics).

Because 'equity' (an intersectionalist premise which most people disagree with, because it smacks of communist levelling) triumphs over 'equality' (a second-wave feminist principle which is thoroughly mainstream and even banal in Current Year, because it has become a core value of the West). To compensate for not having an appropriately awe-inducing female character to lead the Marvel Universe, they had to cobble one together out of raw ideological tissue. So that's what they've done.

If you just want to make a Marvel movie to *entertain*, you don't do that. Here are some things you can do which make more sense:

1) Black Widow is by far the best-known female superhero in the MCU, so you make a movie where she is the lead but has support from other characters (such as Hawkeye) so she can show some flaws, have some setbacks and a bit of peril, and have a romantic relationship as well as kicking ass. Essentially the same kind of wide-appeal movie as Aquaman, except reversing the roles of Arthur and Mera.

2) Make a Rogue and Gambit movie out of the material from the "Rogue and Gambit" and "Mr and Mrs X" comics.Think about it: Rogue is the untouchable woman that every man (and probably batgirl1969) longs to touch. That's poignant material to work with. It would be immensely entertaining and, once again, would have many of the same qualities that made Aquaman successful: the romance, the adventure, the action, the space opera, and so on.

3) Make a She-Hulk TV series..because it would play better in episodic form than on the big screen. Jen Walters works at a law firm, so you have a large cast of characters she can play off: her co-workers at the firm, and all of her superhero friends as well. Make her the quippy, sexy, smart and no-nonsense fourth-wall-breaking gal as originally written by John Byrne (or even Dan Slott) and maybe you get a cross between Boston Legal and 30 Rock but with superpowers. That could be very entertaining with some formidable comedy writers in the mix - get some Larry David alumni on the case, for example. Here's the tagline, ripped straight from Kermit: "It's not easy being green."

There you go: I just placed three Marvel superheroine characters at the forefront of the public consciousness without using any ideological agendas, without being condescending to any fanbase, and without creating any unnecessarily overpowered Mary Sues. Maybe I should get a job working for Kevin Feige, since James Wan obviously doesn't need my help.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
First of all: Femina - with all due respect, a smirk is not a smile. It's the difference between condescension and exuberance.
I thought my tone there made it pretty clear I was poking fun at it but... I mean you're wrong. Smirking's a smile, maybe not a pleasant or encouraging one, but its still a smile.

Anyway, Tony Stark smirks all the time, people seem to find it charming no?
And as far as Captain Marvel's overpowering issues...it's even worse than that, Red Mountain - not only do has it been revealed she can move planets and travel through time (making her the Marvel equivalent of Superman, when Marvel never really needed such a character before) - it's already been leaked that Captain Marvel is the one who saves the day in Avengers: Endgame, the movie that comes *after* her titular film.
Source? I've seen pretty much zero confirmation on anything to do with her powers and Endgame hasn't had any confirmed spoilers. Just the usual speculation. I don't want to see a 'so and so may have slipped on Conan' crap either, that ain't a source its conjecture, conjecture, conjecture.
1) Black Widow is by far the best-known female superhero in the MCU, so you make a movie where she is the lead but has support from other characters (such as Hawkeye) so she can show some flaws, have some setbacks and a bit of peril, and have a romantic relationship as well as kicking ass. Essentially the same kind of wide-appeal movie as Aquaman, except reversing the roles of Arthur and Mera.
It's beyond time BW got a film, agreed, but its been announced? They're working on it... she's also not a SUPERheroine which deserves mentioning... but clearly CM's production hasn't held it up. It's coming.
2) Make a Rogue and Gambit movie out of the material from the "Rogue and Gambit" and "Mr and Mrs X" comics.Think about it: Rogue is the untouchable woman that every man (and probably batgirl1969) longs to touch. That's poignant material to work with. It would be immensely entertaining and, once again, would have many of the same qualities that made Aquaman successful: the romance, the adventure, the action, the space opera, and so on.
X-men were off the table when CM was green lit so... just wishing at brickwalls until the Fox deal is legit doesn't seem like a productive budgeting strategy.... even if CM is only lightly successful it would still make far more money when it comes out than any attempts by Mervel to make a Rogue/Gambit film would have made by now?

Even if they COULD have, if you're going to try and start offering a greater superfemale presence in marvel films than we've got, it doesn't really add up to just release 'antman and the wasp' half measure over and over and over again does it? Do we really need a romcom with Rogue and Gambit riiiiight after the last Marvel romcom? Plenty of more solitary mutants to pull from that list that are interesting and don't necessarily HAVE to bounce off a man to be interesting... that's not to say Rogue isn't interesting on her own without Gambit either... how about the story of how Rogue was a scared little girl abducted by Mystique whose powers allow her to go from basically a frail human to one of the most powerful heroines in the world just by......... oh yeah, you need Captain Marvel for that...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Interesting!

I don't want to see another X-men Rogue that doesn't have her FULL set of powers, Gambit & Rogue should come AFTER Rogue amd Gambit are established on their own, which really ought to come AFTER Captain Marvel anyway.

Just to be clear I don't think this idea is a miss, it'd be a great movie, I just think its a miss right NOW.
3) Make a She-Hulk TV series..because it would play better in episodic form than on the big screen. Jen Walters works at a law firm, so you have a large cast of characters she can play off: her co-workers at the firm, and all of her superhero friends as well. Make her the quippy, sexy, smart and no-nonsense fourth-wall-breaking gal as originally written by John Byrne (or even Dan Slott) and maybe you get a cross between Boston Legal and 30 Rock but with superpowers. That could be very entertaining with some formidable comedy writers in the mix - get some Larry David alumni on the case, for example. Here's the tagline, ripped straight from Kermit: "It's not easy being green."

Cause Marvel TV series really matter in the MCU *rollseyes* we've already got one badass female super in the MCU by that metric... but you know nobody talks about it cause the MCU television series may as well not even exist as far as the films are concerned. Put em' in the movies or don't bother is my opinion, may change if the television MCU shows ever feels like anything more, but as of now, it's the same thing as nothing.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago

Her victory has been assured - she has been made into the ultimate unstoppable Mary Sue. "She has to be amazing because reasons" is accurate,
Yeah we know

You said this about the Netflix She Ra until "miscellaneous youtube placeholer69" delivered a sermon that it was better than the original.

So I'll just skip the "I know better than blockbuster machine Marvel" ranting and wait for the inevitable conversion to "Well actually it was okay because reasons" due probably early April I guess.

I honestly don't get this whole paranoid, bipolar conservative thing. You all want more superheroine films but as soon as they start coming put you're all "awww man! Not superheroine movies! I just wanted 400 rereleases of barbarella wearing a slutty wonder woman outfit".
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Is she going scuba diving or something...? :)
shevek
Producer
Producer

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
You said this about the Netflix She Ra until "miscellaneous youtube placeholer69" delivered a sermon that it was better than the original.

So I'll just skip the "I know better than blockbuster machine Marvel" ranting and wait for the inevitable conversion to "Well actually it was okay because reasons" due probably early April I guess.

I honestly don't get this whole paranoid, bipolar conservative thing. You all want more superheroine films but as soon as they start coming put you're all "awww man! Not superheroine movies! I just wanted 400 rereleases of barbarella wearing a slutty wonder woman outfit".
To be completely accurate, it was one Youtuber who said his daughter liked the new She-Ra better. There was no sermon, just anecdotal evidence from one girl. P.S. I'm not a conservative.

As I've said many times, sure it's very possible that I'll say Captain Marvel is okay in March (that's when it comes out, not April), but it's not looking good so far. Things could change..I mean, who knew six months that a film about *Aquaman* would be so viable?

We (and I guess I mean the collective we, since you're addressing more than just me, I assume) always want the heroines in our movies to be sexy whenever possible, I thought that was a given on this forum. :) In mainstream parlance, that means sexy *and* powerful. There's not a whole lot about Brie Larson's performance that screams hotness in the same way that Gal Gadot, Scarlet Johansson and Amber Heard do. At least not that we've seen as of yet.

And Femina: here's an example of something Sam Jackson let slip about Captain Marvel's role in Avengers: Endgame.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... dgame.html

As far as Jessica Jones being a successful series, sure you're right, but it has an edgy grit that keeps it from being mainstream, like a She-Hulk series would, and the superheroine part of things is de-emphasized in favor of character studies. She's never in a costume except for a few minutes in that Jewel flashback.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

CM's box office should be pretty decent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/captain ... debut.html
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

"Supergirl in a clavicle to toe wetsuit" good luck to her and her fans...
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
And Femina: here's an example of something Sam Jackson let slip about Captain Marvel's role in Avengers: Endgame.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... dgame.html

As far as Jessica Jones being a successful series, sure you're right, but it has an edgy grit that keeps it from being mainstream, like a She-Hulk series would, and the superheroine part of things is de-emphasized in favor of character studies. She's never in a costume except for a few minutes in that Jewel flashback.
I sorta consider that an unsubstantiated rumor Shevek... and one we don't know anything about so until a Marvel CEO steps up and says 'yeah Sam totes spoiled the shit out of our film!' I'll take it with a grain of 'interesting' but unproven. Afterall Captain America could be said to have time traveled for his own series without technically having the power to travel through time. Maybe she got a hold of the time stone herself, it being what it is, you might find several time travelers mucking about using the SAME infinity gem just because 'time travel'.

I just find that all Complaining about a thing before having actually seen it when it comes from a company that hasn't really let anyone down. The absolute WORST it could be, is as bad as Thor 2, which I'll admit isn't great... but I'd watch it fifty times before I ever watch another Transformers film.

But you know what? I'll actually cop to one thing I feel could work against it, Even if it is only as good as Thor 2, it will instead be lampooned as 'the worst marvel film of all time!' And it won't be because it actually is, it'll be because it stared a lady and the viewers simply weren't watching it in the same mind frame that they went into Thor 2 with. Either it'll be women like me excited for CM to really shine disappointed that it was only okay, or it'll be the guys who never wanted her in the films in the first place, but either way, if CM isn't a NOTICEABLY better movie than Marvel's lesser works, it will be remembered as its worst. THAT much, I believe.

And I don't care if JJ wasn't a showy superheroine show. Daredevil IS a showy comic show, the MCU doesn't care, Iron Man exists in Daredevil's universe, Daredevil doesn't exist in Iron Man's. What I was saying was, if it isn't in the movies, it simply doesn't matter to the politics of the MCU. If Marvel decided to just pump out TV series's with heroines and left them out of the films, in my perspective, it would have left the MCU gender balance still a problem. Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, F'king Squirrel Girl I don't care, they need movies NOT TV shows. I love Agent's of Sheild, I LOVE Quake, but when
Spoiler
Thanos snapped, she wasn't affected because she never REALLY existed in the MCU to begin with.
<<Infinity War spoiler.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Thank you so much for using the Spoiler Button

Ya see folks, the Spoiler button is your friend

shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, Femina, if Captain Marvel just does turn out to be meh and kind of half-assed, you SHOULD be disappointed, because you should wonder
why they didn't take the special effort and care that Patty Jenkins/DCU did into making Wonder Woman so appealing.

You see, it's the hard-progressive types who say that just because there's a woman in a movie, you are politically obligated to support it and like it. That is what's called identity politics, and that's their agenda.

We, on the other hand, say that not only does the movie need to star a woman...the movie also needs to be entertaining, exciting, passionately acted and passionately made (and for us on SHF, it also wouldn't hurt if the movie was sexy, too).

In other words, the movie needs to be GOOD. If it's just SO-SO, after all the hype has come and gone, then it's not good, and it has failed.
We'll see if that's the case in March. I'm not rooting for it to fail..I'm just saying that the chances that it will be a downright success seem to be lessened by the preponderance of the evidence so far. Jury's not out yet.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Well, Femina, if Captain Marvel just does turn out to be meh and kind of half-assed, you SHOULD be disappointed, because you should wonder
why they didn't take the special effort and care that Patty Jenkins/DCU did into making Wonder Woman so appealing.
This is a baiting 'if' statement that serves shevek's agenda but no one elses. There's no reason to 'if' suppose CM movie might be half assed, or suppose that 'they' didn't do their best to make as good a movie as they could have.
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
You see, it's the hard-progressive types who say that just because there's a woman in a movie, you are politically obligated to support it and like it. That is what's called identity politics, and that's their agenda.
That's just a huge load of bullpucky. No one says anyone is obligated to like a movie. That's not anyone's agenda or any sort of politics.
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
We, on the other hand, say that not only does the movie need to star a woman...the movie also needs to be entertaining, exciting, passionately acted and passionately made (and for us on SHF, it also wouldn't hurt if the movie was sexy, too).
There is no 'we on the other hand.' Everybody who goes to a movie wants it to be good. Wants to be entertained, impressed and feeling good while watching it and afterwards feel their time was well spent having watched it.
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
In other words, the movie needs to be GOOD. If it's just SO-SO, after all the hype has come and gone, then it's not good, and it has failed.
We'll see if that's the case in March. I'm not rooting for it to fail..I'm just saying that the chances that it will be a downright success seem to be lessened by the preponderance of the evidence so far. Jury's not out yet.
'Evidence so far' is that Marvel has made a bunch of really good to great super movies and a lesser number of sorta ok but not as good as one would've hope for. And early ticket sales for CM show that lots of people have faith in Marvel's movie making.

There's no preponderance of evidence that 'seems to' lessen anything for CM. Early audiences didn't know Green Lantern was gonna suck turds til they saw it, and audiences didn't know Wonder Woman would be as wonderful as it was and that Gal Gadot would shine in the role until they saw it. So...what else is new, aka released movies define their goodness or badness level.

Your entitled to your opinion, yet your spin on what progressives think is bullpucky everytime you bring it up. You have no idea what others think, you only know what you think. So let progressives speak for themselves, and you speak for you.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Ladies and gentlemen, it was only a trailer, but what we've seen speaks for itself. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has apparently been taken over-- conquered, if you will-- by a master race of hard-progressive types. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive audience or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them, the agenda will soon be here.

And I for one welcome our new identity-politic overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a virtue-signaling fanboy I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground social media campaigns.

Who wants ginger snaps?
shevek
Producer
Producer

Scribbler - sorry to tell you, I know exactly what progressives think, and not just mere garden-variety progressives but hard-left anarcho-communist types. I live among them in my neighborhood. They are constantly in my social media feeds, and their sloganeering stickers and stenciled graffiti adorn various public surfaces wherever I walk. I work among them, and I work alongside them. I have worked *for* them and their causes on a number of occasions in various political campaigns. I harbor quite a number of views in common with them (which I've already said) although I would certainly not consider myself hard-left or socialist. And I see the tweets they generate, and the quotes that are attributed to them in videos and articles. I'm not sitting on some island speculating about what people may or may not think; I'm living in the world and hearing people talk about things and type about things constantly.

As far as being 'obligated' to like the movie, there are the usual accusations of 'sexism' and 'bigotry' against anyone who dares to criticize
Marvel's first film with a superheroine lead. In order to avoid such labels, one must like the movie. That was what I meant.

Again, we'll see what happens. You're right that early ticket sales do look fantastic. But it could also be a case of people swallowing the hype, since as you say, most people are going to watch this movie expecting to be thoroughly entertained, and when they read that the director was going for a 90s action movie vibe, like Terminator 2 or Robocop or Total Recall, they will go to the movies expecting that vibe and to be entertained by it. We'll see if that is the case. But we also know that the version of Captain Marvel in the movie is the one based on the recent reworking of her character by Kelly Sue DeConnick, a version that has proven rather unpopular with the comic-buying public, so unpopular that the series had to be re-booted five times in six years, and so bent on an agenda that in the newest #1 the comic already goes on a several-page screed against the patriarchy (read it and see for yourself). Again, we'll see if the movie-going public thinks differently than the comics nerds do.

https://mashable.com/article/captain-marvel-set-visit/
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
As far as being 'obligated' to like the movie, there are the usual accusations of 'sexism' and 'bigotry' against anyone who dares to criticize
Marvel's first film with a superheroine lead. In order to avoid such labels, one must like the movie. That was what I meant.
The issue I take with this is simply the relentless pessimism that's existed since before the first trailer ever came out that exists in NO other marvel film to date when there has been no reason to think Marvel will do anything less than deliver a solid Marvel film. The only significant difference that can be said to exist in the PRE-PRODUCTION of CM than any other Marvel Film is that its staring a female protagonist. That alone seemed to ignight a torrent of 'Hmmm?' 'Huuuu... is this gonna work!?' speculation and skepticism that's permeated into the present. Let no one forget it was NO different for WW either, but at least in that case, we had a helping of shit DC films to back up that skepticism with.

Sexist or not, you can at least see a SMIDGEN of why it might at least appear like the stinking of sexism from a certain point of view or at the least a lingering double standard we've yet to fully shake off.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago

The issue I take with this is simply the relentless pessimism that's existed since before the first trailer ever came out that exists in NO other marvel film to date when there has been no reason to think Marvel will do anything less than deliver a solid Marvel film. The only significant difference that can be said to exist in the PRE-PRODUCTION of CM than any other Marvel Film is that its staring a female protagonist. That alone seemed to ignight a torrent of 'Hmmm?' 'Huuuu... is this gonna work!?' speculation and skepticism that's permeated into the present.
it's insane that this needs to be pointed out
Damselbinder

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
shevek wrote:
5 years ago
The issue I take with this is simply the relentless pessimism that's existed since before the first trailer ever came out that exists in NO other marvel film to date when there has been no reason to think Marvel will do anything less than deliver a solid Marvel film. The only significant difference that can be said to exist in the PRE-PRODUCTION of CM than any other Marvel Film is that its staring a female protagonist. That alone seemed to ignight a torrent of 'Hmmm?' 'Huuuu... is this gonna work!?' speculation and skepticism that's permeated into the present. Let no one forget it was NO different for WW either, but at least in that case, we had a helping of shit DC films to back up that skepticism with.

Sexist or not, you can at least see a SMIDGEN of why it might at least appear like the stinking of sexism from a certain point of view or at the least a lingering double standard we've yet to fully shake off.
I object to this in one respect only: I knew well in advance how lame Ant-Man was going to be.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
5 years ago

I object to this in one respect only: I knew well in advance how lame Ant-Man was going to be.
I admit also that I thought Ant-Man was gonna be a hard sell... but that was back when Ant-Man was Marvel's first real foray outside of the Marvel list of A-team popularity... I Did not just go flitting around the internet and typing out essays about why I was certain it was going to fail xD.

Can't agree that I thought it was really that lame. I thought it was a fun comedic film that was entertaining... it wasn't GREAT by any standard.... but I'd certainly label it over the marvel low point line which contains such forgettable material as Thor 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron.