Cuphead

All Online Games!
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Well, this is a complete dead-zone of a subforum, on a site largely dedicated to the latest in superhero(ine) entertainment... so I bet you can't wait to talk about a year-old hand-drawn 2D platform-shooter with no superheroes whatsoever!

I got this last year, and promptly spent way more of my December (and January... and February... and March...) than was healthy on it. It's a very old-school kind of game, the kind with a paper-thin plot and a script you could fit on the back of a postcard, but between the amazing soundtrack and the fiendishly hard levels I just can't find it in me to care.

Your character can take five hits, tops. Your enemies can take hundreds before they even flinch. In other words, even the "easy" levels will kill you dead if you underestimate them. As for the ones supposed to be hard? Well, hope you've got five hours set aside, champ.

Oh, yes, I should write something about the fanservice level too, shouldn't I? Well, quite a few of the bosses are female, but all the sex appeal seems to have been concentrated in this little chickie here. I'm told she still dominates the Cuphead tag on any fan-art site you care to name.

But personally, I prefer her less-curvaceous but infinitely more-stylish predecessor...

Oh, and what's this? Seems we've got more content slated for next year! I'll be honest - this was the only thing I gave a single shit about at this year's E3.

Last edited by Disciple 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I feel bad for this game because they went out of their way to have this absolutely beautiful art style and it attracted thousands of players who were completely oblivious to the fact that it's a bullet-hell shooter and who got upset about it. The clue is in the name, they're not called Bullet-Hell because they have universal appeal and a nice soft learning curve. It's a hard bastard and it should have been respected as such, not criticised because it looked great and was true to its designers intent regarding gameplay.

Similar art style, maybe a couple of decades in animation later, to be found on Skullgirls. Which is a fighting game based around a team of weird female fighters.