BBC America

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thoughts?

My problem with BBC America, is too much America and not enough BBC.

I don't need to or want to see Star Trek(which I love) or the X Files on a British based network.

Give me Dr who (Classic and new) The avengers heck if not my type of television Coronation Street, The Midwives
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If you look at British programming in Great Britain, it's a lot of US shows.

Dr. Who used to be shown on PBS and most classic British shows first aired on the big three commercial networks although some were after prime time. Networks grab stuff that will bring them an audience so the can charge for advertising.

If you could fill 24 hours/7 days a week with car crashes as they happen it would be a popular channel. :)
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
5 years ago

Dr. Who used to be shown on PBS and most classic British shows first aired on the big three commercial networks although some were after prime time. Networks grab stuff that will bring them an audience so the can charge for advertising.

If you could fill 24 hours/7 days a week with car crashes as they happen it would be a popular channel. :)
I know but this is BBC for Americans. It is not the regular BBC.

There is a subscriber service like NetFlix that focus on British shows I just believe this would be better direction
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Thoughts?

My problem with BBC America, is too much America and not enough BBC.

I don't need to or want to see Star Trek(which I love) or the X Files on a British based network.

Give me Dr who (Classic and new) The avengers heck if not my type of television Coronation Street, The Midwives
A lot of the best classic TV wasn't made by the BBC, stuff like The Avengers or The Prisoner. The BBC coughs up the odd good TV show (I thought Taboo was really good, that wasn't so long ago) but they're a national broadcaster who is unpopular with the government (because it's a national broadcaster) and with the people (because it's always sucking up to the government) so it struggles for resources. Sadly at the moment they seem content to churn out talent show/ballroom dancing type shows and hours of extra content about them. Which is fair enough because that seems to be about the only thing the public is willing to pay for.
shevek
Producer
Producer

If you want shows with superpowers in them, they could show Misfits. It never got much exposure in the US.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
Sadly at the moment they seem content to churn out talent show/ballroom dancing type shows and hours of extra content about them. Which is fair enough because that seems to be about the only thing the public is willing to pay for.
Yeah well the audience is disproportionately old duffers who remember the 70s with rose tinted specs

having said that, was quite surprised when they brought back Frankie Boyle's new world order but like all decent BBC shows it's buried in the schedules far away from the daily heil reading blue rinse brigade
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As an example BBC America shows three of the Five ST series, although why Voyager instead of the fat better Ds9 is beyond me.

But they could do the same with Classic Who and New who, just like TNT does right now with Law and Order , NCIS LA etc

Show the news programming, show the Avengers (if it is BBC)
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
5 years ago
Sadly at the moment they seem content to churn out talent show/ballroom dancing type shows and hours of extra content about them. Which is fair enough because that seems to be about the only thing the public is willing to pay for.
Yeah well the audience is disproportionately old duffers who remember the 70s with rose tinted specs

having said that, was quite surprised when they brought back Frankie Boyle's new world order but like all decent BBC shows it's buried in the schedules far away from the daily heil reading blue rinse brigade
True. I saw the faintly chilling statistic the other week that the average age of the BBC audience is going up by one every year. Which translates to the exact same people watching it and getting older.
ltrltr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Coronation Street on the BBC? Surely not.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My basic point is there must be enough current and previous BBC material for the American audience. As an example there must be something they can put on last night instead of the Hunt for Red October twice
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Movies I can understand because studios sell them in packages where if you want a few really good ones you have to take a bunch of others that you don't want. That's why you see a channel air the same movies over and over in a month as they burn through the inventory. You can guess which ones they wanted by the time slots.
valentind17
Neophyte
Neophyte

Visitor wrote:
5 years ago

But this is actually the law of business. It must be profitable on the film as much as on advertising.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

The Avengers was an ITV show, but honestly nobody would complain if it were shown on BBC America.

Blakes 7 is another classic show they should replay, and it was a BBC production. Also, please release Region 1 DVDs.