Towards a better reading experience

Info regarding this website!
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Hey, folks and folkettes.

Because there's nothing I like better than trawling through years-old discussions for hours at a time, I (with the polite humoring of @MightyHypnotic, Long May He Reign) have been doing some housecleaning in the TV/movie boards, with an eye on the Lounge as well. Now don't worry - nothing's been deleted. Just a lot of merging and a whole lot more moving, and maybe fixing a broken link or two.

(You may notice, for one, that the Gamers' Corner is no longer an empty wasteland. I do wish there'd been more than two threads 'round here laid out for video games, but hey, whatchagonnado?)

My mod senses inform me that most of you could not give less of a crap about posts you made six months (or more!) ago, but lemme lay out my game-plan for those that do. Ultimately, I hope to build one mega-thread for the Supergirl TV show, one mega-thread for the latest MCU offering, etc, instead of a zillion little five-or-six-post threads discussing this or that facet of the same work.

I should note that neither I nor anyone else will make these mega-threads the only places you can discuss the work(s) in question. You'll still be free to make new threads to discuss/highlight this or that facet; I'll just merge it into the mega-thread for easier cataloging five or six weeks after replies have tapered off. Anyone have a big problem with that?

My longer-term goal - which may or may not be feasible, in the grand scheme of things - will actually be to reduce the number of subforums on this board. TV, film, comics, games, all dumped into one board (name pending). I'm driven toward this partly because there's so much grey area between these categories; Injustice explores the DC Universe even more thoroughly than TV or movies do, there are threads dedicated to Batman 66's and Wonder Woman 77's tie-in digital comics, and don't get me started on Gotham...

On a somewhat-related note... several forums I frequented in my youth (Comic Book Resources, for one) had a stickied thread specifically to act as a 'spam hole' - a place where posters could put weird/interesting/irrelevant news-items and trivia that would probably rack up one or two comments at best on their own. I know that right now we've got an entire subforum for that kind of thing, but would anyone object to it (slowly) being converted into a thread instead?

I'm also thinking about making a thread specifically for obituaries, given how many of them crop up on the forum, but I suppose that'd be a little too morbid. Maybe I'll just merge them into the appropriate pop-culture threads instead?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I persomally think the miscellaneous forum works better than having a spam thread. If you end up wanting to find an oddity posted there from the past you just run your eye down it and bingo. If its all in one thread you have to trawl through the whole bloody thing looking at each post to see if its what you are after.
Got no issue with the resr of what you propose.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

tallyho wrote:
5 years ago
If its all in one thread you have to trawl through the whole bloody thing looking at each post to see if its what you are after.
Is that really a problem, though? We've got a "Search this topic" bar on this site specifically for trawling certain keywords in a single thread.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

As you get older you remember by association. You might not remember the keyword, but you know you posted or read it after that thread about comicon or whatever. I personally dont see the point of lumping all miscellany under one thread. Its in a section on its own, you go there or you dont. If you do go there its handy to have them separate. I post a Star Wars comic story there because its not dungeon and not superheroine themed. If its all jumbled up in one thread with other posts well its pointless. How would you merge the threads without comments on one topic showing in the midst of others?
It seems a fruitless task to me. I do a lot via my phone were its not always possible to type to use the search function but you can skim up and down a list of topics with a flick of a finger as easy as anything

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Point taken. I only use my phone to surf the 'net in emergencies (though this may change as I get older) so I wasn't really thinking about mobile users. Sorry.

For the specific example you gave, though... we've got a whole subforum dedicated to "general" TV/movies. Surely your delightful SW skit would be a better fit for that?
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

T makes a good point. I would also add that, even if it is hardly ever used, it is sort of nice to have a more general forum for stuff not related to super heroines. It helps foster a community feel - I dunno.

Elsewhere, might it be worth adding a link on the index page that takes you right into the Dungeon Stories page? As it stands, I think you have to click through twice, either through the stories forum or the dungeon forum. It might be nice to have a subforum link of some sort that carries you there directly, given that it is one of the more popular pages.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Possibly, Disciple, but I dont think that TV movie section was in existence when I started it. A long time ago, in a Miscellany section far, far away....