Wonder Woman - Public domain?

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Supposedly this is coming up. She should be moving into public domain fairly soon now.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

But isn't she a DC trademark rather than a copyrighted image?

And at any rate, copyright might be running up on the original comic (though doubt it, copyright has ridiculous monopoly timings) but I doubt it's 'running up' on a character that is being used day in day out in various media
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well like Superman I believe you can use the original with the black crest. So the original WW you could use (the 1920s flapper looking version). But given DC has totally changed her plus they fact they aren't really pursuing anyone flat out dressing up as WW it maybe the classic WW slips into public domain.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Maybe they don't want the risk of an adverse decision, which I guess is as good as public domain in practical terms
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

With all the retcons of WW, DC can probably claim their current version is protected. There are enough changes from origin to costume to consider it different from the original.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

That could explain the funky reboot of the character's powers i guess?

That clack the bracelets together explosion thing is newish in the movie, so maybe there is a method to these variations?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Doesn't the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act extend DC's copyright on Wonder Woman until the character's 95th anniversary in 2036?

Before that happens, it will be interesting to see how Disney reacts to the 95th anniversary of the first Mickey Mouse cartoons in 2024. The result of Disney's aggressive litigation will probably set whatever new precedents affect WW's public domain status.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DC Comics used to do extremely limited run in house comics that would use several characters in short pieces for the sole purpose of maintaining their copy right. Some of these issues have made it to the Internet.
Deceiver
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

It's always annoyed me the way comic companies get to become the owners and official publishers of loved characters when the original creator (or creators) are long since gone. The reality of it is just a few people - who may not even love the character or appreciate the history - making sometimes radical decisions on future developments...
NickKnight
Neophyte
Neophyte

By no means an expert but I have been interested in how the public domain works so I learned a little... basically based on everything I have read and researched myself (which again... not a lawyer or anything)

Due to changing laws in 1998 nothing has entered the Public Domain in 20 years. That changes January 1st when everything published in 1923 will enter the public domain. And every Januart 1st after that the next year will enter the public domain (so works from 1924 will enter the public domain in 2020, 1925 in 2021... etc).

Assuming that doesn't change (and it could but most experts apparently think that due to changing times and awareness of copywrite law it is unlikely anyone could realistically lobby to justify extending it any longer) but if it doesn't change, Wonder Woman would not enter the public domain until 2036. 95 years after it's initial publication.

BUT even if that does happen (and by 2036 any of us in this thread still care) that does not apply to trademark which is a totally different thing. DC owns the trademark to the name and to publishing books under that name. And even then what is in the public domain is basically anything Wonder Woman related from the comics published in the year she debuted. Her costume, her supporting cast not in those very initial stories, her basic appearance that we associate today which is much different, her logo, etc. are all from later works.

Even then due to trademarks at best anyone could do is something based ib the 1940 Wonder Woman making DAMN SURE nothing introduced later is even referenced. And if you caller her Wonder Woman at all you could not use that name on the cover or anything promoting it... much like how DC was with Shazam not being mentioned on the covers or merchandise as Captain Marvel (although for different reasons), and it would have to be clear DC is in no way involved or supporting it. And even if you did jump through the necessary hoops DC would surely sick their lawyers on you and even if you did manage to not violte any copywrite laws on this theoretical project.. DC is big we are small... so the money to fight it would be more then most could make any any not-Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman project.

At best anyone could really do is republish her initial 1940 stories, but again they would by my understanding have to find a way to do it not mentioning the name Wonder Woman and with it clear likely in a disclaimer DC and Warner were not involved so not sure how you could do that, and if you did find a way and jump through the right hoops DC would almost certinally sue you and again... even if you didn't violate any copywrite laws DC would make you pay through the butt to defend that right.

So at best all Wonder Woman coming into the public domain would really result in by my understanding is a few reprints of the by then nearly 100 year old original stories not endorsed by DC that likely would not get high circulation. Although we would be free to post them all over the web (or whatever we have in 2036) without any fear of DC suing us much like how public domain silent films and cartoons are all over YouTube without fear of retribution because you are legally allowed to do so. And maybe some comic character with heavily influences from Golden Age Wonder Woman to the extent you couldn't today due to copywrite issues, but still not actually Wonder Woman. So no, none of us will likely be cashing in on Wonder Woman even when it comes into the public domain.

Incidentally for anyone wondering why so many old Golden Age heroes are in the public domain... Copywrite laws used to be stricter on registering and renewing copywrite, and on properly displaying it. Due to the stricter laws back then some stuff, including comic books from all the way up to the 60's is in the public domain... but DC being a company that was in business the entire time is not one of them.

Only DC Characters i know of in the Public Domain at all are the original Captain Marvel due to some of his original comics falling into the public domain and The golden age Blue Beetle... and again due to trademark laws and the like little anyone can do with them in terms of making money (especially without changing their names at the very least) besides maybe publish the comics that slipped into public domain, and even then the prospect of DC sicking their lawyers on them has kept few from ever even bothering to try.