Questions for readers of SHiP ebooks

General discussions about superheroines!
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

My cover artist suggested doing two versions of my next book. One version is my typical book, with a cover and story inside. The second version would be all that, but have multiple images (4 or up to one per chapter).

Thing is, it cost more to produce a book with internal images of the story (artists like to be paid), so the price would increase. I usually charge $2.99 per book, but the version with the pictures would have to be at least $4.99, maybe more. The more images, the higher the price.

My question: Are the images in the book worth the increase in price? Would you be willing to pay more for an "illustrated" version of the book? NOTE: these will not be sexually graphic images, since Amazon might bring the hammer down.

We are both very interested in your thoughts (any and all thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated).
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

I read stories for the story. I dont need illustrations. If I want that I can go to other resources.
When im reading (whether the content is sexual or not) illustrations are never needed unless its something that cannot easily be described in the story. for example reading the dark tower series by Stephen king was great but it wasnt until I saw an illustration of the lands and where they are to each other that many things clicked. if the illustrations serve a purpose then thats great, but if not then the artwork is pretty much frosting on a great cake that doesnt need frosting.

I hope this helps.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I've done some stories with illustrations and didn't notice much of difference in sales. Also Amazon is way more critical of images than written content even when they aren't sexual in nature AND smash words is even MORE critical since their stuff gets auto put into other stores.

Basically I agree with the last poster said: it's only really worth it if its adding something to the reading experience. Like making it more clear what a character looks like or something like that.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

Thanks. That's helpful. I appreciate it.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Also something to keep in mind, at least for Amazon readers, is a lot (not sure on the percentage, but I bet the info is out there) read on kindles that don't have color. Unless the artwork is designed to look good in grey scale its not really going to blow a lot of readers out of the water.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

Good point, Philo.
bbsucks
Henchman
Henchman

Agree with the general sentiment here. I do love the cover images for your books and have no doubts that the artists would do an excellent job on additional images, but when I read your stuff, I'm reading and would likely speed right past a photo in favor of continuing the story. Not worth the extra money.
GWalb
Henchman
Henchman

Although I often lavishly illustrate my stories, I sometimes doubt if they are actually more erotic than the text only stories.
Truthfully, even the cover illustration has little impact upon my decision to buy one of your books. Generally my criteria is whether it has a male or female villain. (I prefer female, myself.)