Powerless (DC TV series) - Crimson Fox & Green Fury!

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

New DC Universe TV series Powerless, about an insurance adjusting company for superhero damages, had a pilot filmed in April and the series
greenlit on May 11. It will air on NBC but not sure when.
It's not going to contain any major heroes (it's about ordinary people without powers in a world of superheroes...Astro City anyone?) but there apparently will be some smaller heroes and villains appearing here and there, as well as allusions to known heroes. Vanessa Hudgens is a lead role as one of the insurance adjusters.

Sexy French superheroine [once a member of Justice League Europe...then they ("she" was twins) died...then a new even sexier Crimson Fox arose in the pages of Green Lantern whose identity was left unknown] Crimson Fox appears in the pilot. She is one of the sexiest females in comics and is vastly underrated. I don't know if her power to seduce men with powerful pheromones will be part of the plot or not...hope it is!

No idea who plays her! It's not on the show's Wikipedia page. Definitely will try to check this out though.

Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Cool news! Thanks for the info--definitely aroused my curiosity.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
shevek
Producer
Producer

So, is this Powerless series still set to debut on Feb 2 on NBC?
NBC has a page for it which says it will run Thursdays at 8.
http://www.nbc.com/powerless?nbc=1

They've got Jack-o-Lantern and Crimson Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6z9ypsB5w0&t=62s

The company's first insurance claim is caused by Wonder Woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XJwXoNBKk

Here's a trailer...shows Crimson Fox catching a subway train. Kate Micucci (ukelele girl from Scrubs; half of Garfunkel & Oates) is apparently in the cast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpgEie2UJc

Promotion for this seems really poor and scattered for something coming up in a month.
Can't imagine it'll last long, but enjoy it while it does I guess.

Meanwhile...I thought it'd be interesting to point out the very last appearance of the latest incarnation of Crimson Fox (the replacement heroine whose identity was never revealed, but who inherited the cosmetics empire from the dead Aramis sisters) in the comics, which was back in Dec 2008 in the final issue of Checkmate (#31). I would guess that nowadays a heroine who uses pheromones to battle villains and who opens her costume to show her ample breasts might be frowned upon by the internet's comicbook Tumblr-feminist police.
She did this, and she hasn't been seen since!

theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NBC's DC TV comedy series Powerless

Crimson Fox played by Atlin Mitchell

:hq:
Look puddin', a sitcom about losers that work for Batman!

:bmbw:
They work for Wayne, not me. A Wayne subsidiary. What's with this cowl!?

:hq:
You look like Brandon Routh
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Is DC overdoing the multiverse thing? This year, we will have:
The CW's Arrow/Flash/Legends universe.
The CW's Supergirl universe.
Fox's Gotham universe.
SyFy's Krypton universe. (Rumored to be a prequel version of the DC Extended Universe from the movies.)
NBC's Powerless universe.

It's all getting kind of messy, now that the Superman and Flash who will be regularly referenced on Powerless won't have any connection to the existing movie and TV versions of the characters.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's the difference between Marvel that's tying TV and movies together and DC where you have a multiverse of different versions for each media type.
ywf
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

The multiverse setting is easier for the writers, no need to worry about continuity conflicts.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If I was making stuff for DC TV I'd want to avoid the movies. The movies are great for keeping DC in the news but at best you could call them divisive with audiences, at worst they're bad.

Marvel is running a much tighter ship but I would argue they sort of have to. They don't have anything like the roster than DC has for characters.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:Is DC overdoing the multiverse thing? This year, we will have:
The CW's Arrow/Flash/Legends universe.
The CW's Supergirl universe.
Fox's Gotham universe.
SyFy's Krypton universe. (Rumored to be a prequel version of the DC Extended Universe from the movies.)
NBC's Powerless universe.

It's all getting kind of messy, now that the Superman and Flash who will be regularly referenced on Powerless won't have any connection to the existing movie and TV versions of the characters.

I think that's called "throwing mud at the wall and see what sticks" verse.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dogfish wrote:Marvel is running a much tighter ship but I would argue they sort of have to. They don't have anything like the roster than DC has for characters.
Marvel has as big a roster as DC, but pre-Disney they licensed out their big names: Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. They have had better successes with the less famous comic books as seen with Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Deadpool, and Doctor Strange. Whereas DC has had relative flops because of bad writing with Catwoman and Green Lantern.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
Dogfish wrote:Marvel is running a much tighter ship but I would argue they sort of have to. They don't have anything like the roster than DC has for characters.
Marvel has as big a roster as DC, but pre-Disney they licensed out their big names: Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. They have had better successes with the less famous comic books as seen with Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Deadpool, and Doctor Strange. Whereas DC has had relative flops because of bad writing with Catwoman and Green Lantern.
It's a big roster but it sucks for villains and I think that's what's forcing Marvel to work harder. Any given Batman series reboot for example you've got an easy four movies, Joker, Catwoman and dealer's choice of a couple from any of about a dozen other really good villains.

Marvel kind of has to improvise. Ultron? Miscellaneous secret Nazis? Doctor Octopus? Meh. You can get it to work but it's much tougher.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
Visitor wrote:
It's a big roster but it sucks for villains and I think that's what's forcing Marvel to work harder. Any given Batman series reboot for example you've got an easy four movies, Joker, Catwoman and dealer's choice of a couple from any of about a dozen other really good villains.

Marvel kind of has to improvise. Ultron? Miscellaneous secret Nazis? Doctor Octopus? Meh. You can get it to work but it's much tougher.
Always liked Fantastic Four comics where the villains were the Frightful Four. Also F4 vs the Inhumans. Dr. Doom in the comics I liked, tho not in the movies. Silver Surfer fighting the Thing in the comics was great, Surfer in the movie sucked. Avengers vs the Zodiac was good. Ironman vs Submariner. Someday I'll have to read all that stuff again, been ages.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
shevek
Producer
Producer

You're right..Marvel has somehow made major money from a whole bunch of characters that most mainstream movie viewers had never heard of before. The only thing, with the one exception of Gamora in Guardians, they're all male. That will change with Captain Marvel, so I hope that works out well for them so they can do She-Hulk (at least in the MCU we know they can't call her 'Hulk'!), Black Widow or even Kamala Khan (depicting a Muslim superheroine without a hijab as a lead role would blow the minds of a billion people) at some point. I guess I can dream....

I forget where it is, but I read this recent article that explained why there isn't a Namor movie. Basically it goes something like 1) the whole new world of Atlantis would be too expensive to depict, 2) everyone would be wondering why the Atlanteans were hiding under the sea during all the previous crises, and 3) other stupid bullshit.

I would love to see a Namor movie..obviously his foe would be Attuma and probably that big lug Orka, but maybe they could also mix it up with Attuma allying himself with the sexy Llyra and that rivalry with Lemuria. Plus it'd be great to see who'd play the always cute Namorita. Imperius Rex!

Anyway....I hope we get some more sneak peeks of Powerless soon, before the first show airs!!
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote: Image
Don't need to know more....SOLD!
Moved to the "need to watch" folder :-)
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

Maskripper wrote:
shevek wrote: Image
Don't need to know more....SOLD!
Moved to the "need to watch" folder :-)
I don't buy it until we have stronger evidences for bondage/peril scenes at least a little bit better than the ones we barely had so far from Supergirl.

I can see better fetish outfits on the Jim Weathers site.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I understand. But I'm just really stoked that Crimson Fox is actually portrayed on TV in pretty much an accurate costume (not some kind of dark jacket).
This is probably just mostly going to be a sitcom but if every now and then a costumed superheroine appears, then great. Airs tonight!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well it wasn't 'god' awful... but it's got a LOT of work to be a really good comedy show. They need to tone down the characters pep, like... alot. So far the only character that feels even remotely genuine is Tudyk's Wayne and one of the workers.

That said, the title sequence is all sorts of brilliant and is at the very least, the perfect title sequence for the originating concept.
KennyLoggins
Sargeant
Sargeant

They have a lot of work to do if they want to beat the same kind evil levels of insurance you can easily find in places like the one were Mr Incredible used to get a pay check from it while eventually still trying to sabotage it by the power of properly oriented bureaucracy and spin doctored technicalities in favor of the clients.
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

I watched it last night, the lead is cute but the show itself is about as funny as a pistol whipping.
shevek
Producer
Producer

So as one might imagine, Powerless looks like it's been cancelled. It's actually been whipped so hard that NBC might never air (or air in some obscure timeslot at some point in the future) the final 3 episodes of the 12 they ordered, even though one of those three episodes *co-stars Adam West*! (if that episodes ever winds up airing, please give me advance notice, I'd really like to see it!)

So as of Episode 10, Powerless has been pulled from its time slot and replaced with replays of Superstore. But before it goes off into the bleak night, it should be noted that Powerless brought to TV for the first time (unless you count that execrable Justice League live-action movie from many years ago.I guess it does technically count) not one but TWO members of Global Guardians and Justice League Europe: Crimson Fox and Beatriz Da Costa (aka Fire aka Green Fury), also two of DC's sexiest B-list heroines.

Here are all the new-ish Youtube clips I cound find, and some photo stills.

In Episode 6, Crimson Fox makes her second and final appearance with a very short speaking part, announcing she's leaving Charm City (I assume that's DC's equivalent of Baltimore?) for Metropolis. She does not speak with a French accent. Zees eez disappointing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxIF8HDamc

In Episode 7, Green Fury makes a brief appearance saving Danny Pudi's character

In Episode 8, Green Fury (Beatriz Da Costa..also known for quite a while as Fire in the comics) makes a full starring appearance. She looks hot and the costume is a tight colorful jumpsuit which shows some cleavage. The Latina actress Natalie Morales (not to be confused with the anchor from the Today show) looks great - you might know her from being Lucy (Aziz Ansari's TV girlfriend) on Parks & Rec. Here she is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5uwlclWMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOykQlw7oXQ

Kenny Loggins will be happy to know that Episode 8 makes fun of the new "female audience demographic" that loves to see the ripped male
superheroes taking their shirts (or basically everything) off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLuSPYMoJpw
shevek
Producer
Producer

Since this series is about to be (or is already) cancelled, everyone might want to document this episode for posterity, so it can live on in our dreams.
It beats the viewer over the head with feminist messages about objectification (and the final solution, of course, involves objectifying men instead) but ultimately it's still a superpowerful woman in a hot costume, so....
http://www.nbc.com/powerless/video/gree ... us/3497249
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I think you may have confused Kenny with Mr. X.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Maybe so, Viking..but on the positive side of things, I found and purchased the actual 2008 Checkmate tpb where Crimson Fox rips open the front of her costume and exposes her breasts to the monster (see the comic book excerpt near the top of this thread). As I've said, it's still the most recent appearance of the character in comics. Come back to us, Crimson Fox, we miss zee sexy!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

They have released the as-yet-unbroadcast Adam West episode as a tribute to the late actor.
MuggsMcKinney
Neophyte
Neophyte

I personally think this series would have fared a little better in the ratings on the CW or FOX. It still might have got cancelled, but it was still fun to see Vanessa Hudgens in something other than pretentious Disney crap or an insipid action comedy for a change. Zac Efron can learn a lot from her. :giggle:
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Link to the YouTube of the Adam West episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJ8vNugi6c&t=244s
shevek
Producer
Producer

Lurkndog wrote:
6 years ago
They have released the as-yet-unbroadcast Adam West episode as a tribute to the late actor.
Thanks, Lurkndog, watching it now. I have the Green Fury episode now.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Muggs McKinney got his wish, as Powerless the TV show was re-released and can now be seen on the CW (which, despite being sold for $1 to Nexstar, is not going away - for now, it's just re-releasing old series, and putting out the new season of Stargirl which was already finished anyway).

You can watch the entire single season of 12 episodes here:
https://www.cwtv.com/shows/powerless/

According to IMDB, Crimson Fox, played by gorgeous stuntwoman Atlin Mitchell in a tight costume, appears in four episodes: "Wayne or Lose", "Cold Season", "I'ma Friend You", and "Van of the Year". Although the only really memorable appearance is in EP1 "Wayne or Lose" where she flies around and singlehandedly holds up a train car to keep it from crashing. You get some nice close-ups of her face and costume.

I guess in retrospective, this is an early instance of Overpowerment Syndrome in adaptations, since in the comics, the only abilities Crimson Fox has are fighting agility, sharp claws, and pheromones that can seduce men. In the series, however, she can fly or leap tall buildings, and has super strength. I guess nobody called them on it since nobody who watched it actually knew who the character was.

Episode 8, "Green Furious" is the one where Green Fury (the Brazilian heroine known in the comics as Fire or Green Flame) appears, played by Natalie Morales. Definitely worth watching for her beauty, powers, and tight costume.

Episode 11, "Win, Luthor, Draw" is the one with Adam West in it (RIP). In the original order, it was the final episode (12) but was re-ordered for the CW as Episode 11.

Enjoy for free! And also enjoy the very pointed reference to Supergirl in the main graphic promoting the show (well, if not, who else could it be? Who else wears high red boots with heels, and a blue cape? Lois Lane's Superwoman, maybe? Not many choices.)
this is supergirl.jpg
this is supergirl.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Also, if for some reason you'd like to see the original Unaired Pilot of the series (which is different in some ways from the first episode which actually did air), here it is, for free on Youtube. It was apparently only shown at SanDiego ComiCon in 2016, and then the DVD which contained it was put up on Ebay - hence the upload. It's got a bit more of the Crimson Fox interaction.

Also reminds me how much of a shame it is that they couldn't make this premise work, just using constant superhero(ine) cameos to keep it in the DC spirit. Never mind the bland Hudgens, they had comic geniuses like Alan Tudyk and Danny Pudi aboard who carried other comedies but couldn't piss in a teapot here, possibly due to the writing.

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Best wasted title sequence ever.

Seriously, I wish this show had been better than it was JUST to have got six or seven season of time with such a fantastic title sequence.

*Sigh* but such is life. At least we got it.

As a post script: The unaired pilot was like... 100% better than the released one.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah, quite an odd TV show, but not bad in my book.
And it had (at least) two highlights for me, both related to Crimson Fox (surprise!):

First one:
https://maskripper.org/crimson-fox-appe ... -tv-series
-
-
-
And especially this one, I mean a stunning woman in pantyhose and heels + Crimson fox in leather and that cowl...good stuff:
:) :)

https://maskripper.org/crimson-fox-appe ... v-series-2
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yes, unfortunately that was all the female masks we got on the show - Green Fury was gorgeous, but alas, unmasked.

By the way, if you want to see a (mostly) masked woman in tight black leather kicking ass, check out Atlin Mitchell's amazing stunt reel
from 2016 (before she was on Powerless).

A lot of it is her work from the CW Arrowverse shows, especially lots of stunts for the Canary characters.'
She stunt doubled for Caity Lotz, Katie Cassidy, Melissa Benoist, Danielle Panabaker, and Morena Baccarin.
She is a real-life Wonder Woman!

IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, unfortunately that was all the female masks we got on the show - Green Fury was gorgeous, but alas, unmasked.

By the way, if you want to see a (mostly) masked woman in tight black leather kicking ass, check out Atlin Mitchell's amazing stunt reel
from 2016 (before she was on Powerless).

A lot of it is her work from the CW Arrowverse shows, especially lots of stunts for the Canary characters.'
She stunt doubled for Caity Lotz, Katie Cassidy, Melissa Benoist, Danielle Panabaker, and Morena Baccarin.
She is a real-life Wonder Woman!

She’s a former college gymnast with a degree in classical ballet. What’s not to like?

https://uicflames.com/news/2011/2/21/an ... _call.aspx