Review of Twilight Zone-Deadly Admirer of Supergirl

Superheroine Video Reviews By The Fans!
Forum rules
Create One Thread For Each Video Title.
In the Subject Line, put the title of the video, followed by the production company, or producers name.
Rate the video out of 10 at the bottom of your post.
Your review must be constructive. Tell us why you liked it, or why you didn't.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Twilight Zone: Deadly Admirer of Supergirl

Review by Dr. Dominator

Rating: (Out of 10 stars possible, 10 being the best.)

Overview:
While this video is not intended to be in the same series as the rest of the Underwater Peril videos shot so far, it obviously shares the same production team and actors. Nevertheless, the producer prefers to separate this video from the others previously completed, and to make it known that it is not in anyway a continuation of those previous videos: it is a separate entity.

That being said, of all the videos this company has done so far, I felt this was the weakest effort with the least amount of appeal in terms of physicality, script and mood. The concept of Supergirl falling for someone who wants to kill her is one that I have considered an interesting prospect for years and think that it’s a fairly strong subversive element in a script, so no problem there. But the lack of an actor skilled enough to make that premise come to life is quite a deficit to how it all works in this effort.

The entire concept of superimposing the Twilight Zone mystique over the Supergirl (or other heroines in future videos) peril genre really was superfluous to me in this video and the risk of attracting any copyright infringement attention was not nearly worth the risk. The essence of the Twilight Zone series was that there was some twist or unique perspective about a situation that made it eerie or startling to the viewer. There was no real twist to the script that justified the TZ imprint unless you consider the subterfuge of the romance as the twist and frankly it doesn’t qualify in my mind. If you intend to continue the TZ imprint in future videos, the scripts will have to have a twist that is unexpected or in some way more vital to the story line.

Specific Scenes:

The opening scene with the bus was nothing but filler and had no bearing at all on the script. Not sure why they were there except to establish the fact that her day was ending after work. To make it more meaningful, you might have played up the delay factor and that she was rushing around and not thinking strategically. A small point though.

The scene with Kaycee reading the note from Roger was fine and set up everything cleanly.

When she comes out her front door and pulls her shirt open to reveal her costume top I couldn’t help thinking, “Well, no worries about her secret identity, huh? Little lax there, SG.” LOL. In previous videos I think she was usually on the hidden side of the house at least.

The audio on the Twilight Zone monologue had a hallway echo that compromised it somewhat.

The super s emblem ring was a nice touch and did set up a sense of anticipation of it turning against her. But when the ring came into play, I was a bit confused about why Roger would give her a ring that would actually revive her. More on that later.

As a side note, I think you have a misguided understanding of the effect of red kryptonite on Kryptonians. It doesn’t usually weaken them but instead creates bizarre alterations or unexpected affects to them, which you’ve never explored. When the red kryptonite flash effects come in, mixed with the green, I think they’re a mistake based on how red k works.

The scene where SG decides to make a video for Roger was little different than the Deadly Seduction video and really didn’t add any new elements to the series. Felt like the script and the series was just treading water. On the plus side, Kaycee does look good in the scene walking here and there around the pool in the costume so it wasn’t a painful delay before the peril. I also continue to enjoy the tension imposed on the scene by the sound of the automatic camera recording her movements. For me, it’s quite nefarious and heightens the drama. Others may find it annoying but it works well for me.

The underwater fantasy sequence with Kaycee performing for the camera was, again, little different from the Deadly Seduction version and I was hoping for some variations to her routine. Obviously, since its YouTube there’s not a lot of provocative poses you can get away with but it was pretty tame to what I think they will accept.

I’m not sure if it’s Kaycee’s hesitations or the director’s concerns but it certainly wasn’t my idea of an underwater fantasy. Just blowing kisses and showing her profile without even caressing her breasts is not very erotic. She could have stroked her thighs and opened her legs with a wink. Or caressed her butt. Something! Sigh. Oh well, at least there were some shots of her swimming away from the camera showing off her nice butt. Would have liked a few more of those.

On a positive note, unless I missed some edits, it certainly seemed like Kaycee can hold her breath for quite a while and that did impress me. There were many long underwater sequences there that did imply SG’s ability to stay underwater for long periods without needing air, which helped promote the idea of her physical stamina. And she does look good in the sequences even if they are repetitious.

The pipe bending scene was nicely assisted by the audio effect. And when she stands up out of the pool to retrieve the weight, the view of her body in the wet clinging costume was a high point of the video for me. I would love to see more wet, out of the pool shots in upcoming videos if they can be worked into the script. Probably not alone in that.

Now for the peril scenes. I did appreciate that Kaycee did much more thrashing once the cramps kicked in and appreciated how she showed that distress. She was very effective in the sequence, another high point for the video.

I was surprised that it took so long for the visual effects of the kryptonite to come into play. She was thrashing and in distress for almost 40 seconds or so I believe before you see the flashing effects start. A small point but I felt you could have given at least one or two flashes right before or after she felt the cramps to reinforce the effects of the radiation.

Another positive aspect was how Kaycee kept having to swim to the surface and cry for help. That was a new twist to the series and a strong plus. Her distress was much better in this video than the last. Her failed attempt to pull apart the bomb and disarm it were also nicely done, including how her struggles to do so used up all her air in the process, causing her to drown. The use of negative color film as an effect helped the peril sequence as well, I feel.

After Supergirl drowns and is floating in the pool, the special ring works to revive her. Something to do with the sun setting apparently based on the use of those sky shots. I can’t believe that was the affect that Roger intended or he never would have given the ring to her. So the explanation for what happened there via a text caption of some sort would have gone a long way to explaining things. I know she explains its effect at the end outside the car but I felt more was needed about what Roger wanted from the ring should have been stated by Roger when he was standing poolside. Or something like that.

As for her tossing an armed bomb in the car and killing Roger, that was so out of Supergirl’s wheelhouse it’s pretty inexcusable even if he tried to kill her. I know you wanted a dramatic ending and explosions are great for that, but it’s so against Supergirl’s moral code and she’s so blase about it in her concluding statement that it undermined the whole concept of her every really loving the guy enough to trust him to tell him her secret identity. A definite failing in the script and it made it end on such a sour note that it colored my memory of the whole video. As I rewatched it to write this review, I realized there were more good parts than I remembered.

In conclusion:

So there you have my take on the video, Jimbo. I’m glad you can take my honest appraisals for what they are, a fan who only wants to see you succeed at your passion. Thanks for making the past few years so entertaining. I do always look forward to your next video and hope the next one is a home run.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025