Batgirl vs. Robin 60`s

General discussions about superheroines!
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

Who is stronger Yvonne Craig as Batgirl or Burt Ward as Robin?

My opinion Batgirl is psychological ( soul) and fighting ability stronger.

Psychological ( Soul): When Batgirl get trapped like on a rocket by Joker, she get a cool head and had a smile in her face when she deleted the fire, she escaped sometime by her own smart brain. Robin need could never escape without Batman or Batgirl.

When Batgirl fighting crime she do it with a smile in her face and activate her maximum power, while the fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SuN8Z6 ... 46&index=2

She is more felixibel as Robin.

When Robin is catched he gets often in panic, looks so helpless and had painfull face , when he is catched, get punched or tortured. When Robin fight alone against the criminal, he loose because he is not so strong.

Batgirl is single fighter and get knocked down by criminal, because she had bad luck or tricky trap, look for example the fight against Olga.

The last point. Batgirl is would fighting crime even she would know the enemys are much stronger then her. But even she knows the enemys are much stronger and are even willing to kill her, Batgirl would activate the whole power and would fight until the end. This is a very strong character.

What do you think?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well if you apply the standards on the show ie Batgirl was never to be shown being struck then yeah Batgirl is going to kick Robin to death.
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Mr. X wrote:Well if you apply the standards on the show ie Batgirl was never to be shown being struck then yeah Batgirl is going to kick Robin to death.
It's true. Her foes were making it easy for her. :laugh: One interpretation of the character could be that she's a total incompetent who keeps succeeding less through skill than through luck, never really being thrown into a truly difficult situation. But you could extend that argument to the entire Batman 66 show, really, it being similar to the Eddie Murphy gag about "Why didn't Joker just shoot Batman?" :laugh: This show, more than other superhero efforts in filmic and televisual media, demands a suspension of disbelief by the viewer. If we try to reinterpret the source material, extend it, treat it more realistically, we need to pick and choose what we accept or reject.

I will compare it to my Poser project, which is modeling a 3D Barbara Gordon's apartment. As shown onscreen, the apartment layout is impossible and makes no sense. No building could be structured like this. :laugh: To treat it as a "real" space for the project, I have to pick-and-choose which bits of evidence I will accept and which I will ignore, or how to compromise between multiple options. I have had to do the same when writing (really bad) Batgirl fan fiction.

And... I'm not addressing the original post. :blush:

Who is stronger, Robin or Batgirl? The Robin we see on the show is still just a kid, only 15-16 years old. While athletic, he's also not fully grown and in many ways he is untested and rather childlike. Batgirl, in contrast, is an adult (her actual age is uncertain, which once led to some interesting discussions at the old Bat Board) who can't be expected to grow very much. She'll presumably be able to refine her abilities, extend her skill set over time, but in terms of strength and size, she's hit her limits. Robin will most likely keep going, possibly until he's almost Batman-sized. So while Batgirl may or may not have the upper hand against Robin during the third season period in which we see them both (I think it would depend on circumstances, and whether Robin follows his rule about not hitting a female), if we extend the question into the future of the continuity and characters, eventually Robin will be the almost sure winner. As shown, Batgirl relies a lot on lucky circumstances. Given enough luck, she could always win. But so could almost anyone, really. (Note that this "anyone can do it" quality of the Batgirl character may be part of her appeal to some viewers.)
harriertalon
Henchman
Henchman

Stepping outside the roles for a moment - Ward was a martial arts black belt, Craig was a ballerina/dancer. Both had grace and the ability to put power behind a kick or hit, and could dodge the others. Regardless of age or situation, my money is on the Boy Wonder if he can get past the "Holy Taboos! I'd never hit a woman!" thing. :)