No more city of heroes

All Online Games!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news ... nk_you.php

Say goodbye to Paragon city. Probably the best and most expansive super hero MMO ever but it sure needed a face lift.
dajinx1
Producer
Producer

It's a shame! That was my first online game and by far my favorite. All good things come to an end.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Despite needing a major graphics overhaul, it was heads and shoulders above Champions and DConline. Having played the game since Beta this is an incredibly sad day and I only hope that one of the petitions or the Titan people are able to acquire the client and server to keep the game running.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yup just played it today. I love how you can buy power sets. I'm going to try the water set. My friend bought the nature power set. And they have a LOT of content. At least from level 1 to 30 you have a bunch of paths to go through. No more being funneled into terra volta or having to commit suicide killing 15 thorns in Perez park. I was playing the beta as well back when Fire Tank actually rocked.

Sad day. I blew the doors off Champions and DCU. In fact the only thing DCU has going for it is some updated graphics and cannon characters. Yes I hope someone picks it up and maintains the servers. I also wish COH had not wasted time on the PVP zones, the over 50 content and the mission editor content. Tiny minorities clamored for this stuff and now they sit pretty much unused. Some of those PVP zones like Warburg look fantastic and are wasted. COV could have used another 40 plus zone. I don't think that whole base raiding panned out either.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Hmmm, for some reason I thought they said they were cutting off all purchases and the paragon store, one of the reasons I hadn't been back on there. I just can't bring myself to go back on the game now because I had spent the last few months finally diving into the Incarnate system and had basically Tier 4'd out my main character and was working on the new Hyrbrid powers, then this happens. :(
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think they turned off billing for membership and purchasing vip membership. But my friend just bought the new water power set and the nature set. May play the heck out of this till Nov. Only game I know where killing organized labor, the handicapped, homeless people and mother nature is called crime fighting ;)
Icesong
Neophyte
Neophyte

Hello All
I'm from City of Heroes and looking for petition support. We have done alot and now know why the game is being shut down. So to not spend time retyping I'll just post a link.
the first is to the petition please help us keep our capes.
http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft- ... -of-heroes#

this is the update on why its closing.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/06 ... -products/

Thankyou for your time.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Well that really sucks if true and it would move me to not support NCsoft again, but unfortunately I do very much enjoy Guild Wars 2...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Oh no doubt it was all the other lead balloons NC Soft invested in that destroyed their profits, not COH. Who plays Lineage?

Now the game did need a major face lift though its still not that bad. In fact if they just face lifted their characters they'd be pretty on par.

This same poop happened to a friend of mine on MS Flight Sim. The product made $40 mil on its last release but due to team mismanagement and the "new direction" of MS gaming, it got canned. All politics.

Another aspect is ROI. Return on investment. Investors want the nice 5:1, 6:1 etc ROI not a 2:1. On a side note COH switched to free to play, pay for add ons and they then went out of business.
Unmaskee
Henchman
Henchman

I had some great times on City of Heroes but it was an awful lot of grind for very little reward (but that's true of many MMORPGS). Loved the character designer though. I haven't played it in years but I'm still sad it's going. Considering the hours you have to put in to get anywhere on these things I just don't have that amount of free time anymore.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

CoH got a lot better about "grind". Yes in the old days people got desperate trying to go from 32 to 40 for example cause there weren't enough missions and street killing took forever.

Also they did away with having to save up power slots to get swift, jump then stamina essentially killing the fun of powers from levels 16 to 20.

The game has loads more content than any other MMP out there except maybe WoW.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Edited for double post.
Last edited by RedMountain 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Mr. X wrote:CoH got a lot better about "grind". Yes in the old days people got desperate trying to go from 32 to 40 for example cause there weren't enough missions and street killing took forever.

Also they did away with having to save up power slots to get swift, jump then stamina essentially killing the fun of powers from levels 16 to 20.

The game has loads more content than any other MMP out there except maybe WoW.
Giving you the fitness powers was one of the best ideas they ever came up with, at least in my opinion. I can't tell you the number of toons I abandoned between 20-30 because of endurance issues and other things because you were so ineffective trying to make your build while fitting in a travel power, stamina, etc. with your other attack/defensive powers, it always made things tough until you got into the late 30s. A lot of the times I wound up trying to save my temporary travel powers from the bank missions and used those instead of taking a travel power, lol. Also love how they made it you no longer have to choose one of the lower pool powers before taking your travel power, always felt those were some wasted slots as well.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I thought hover was actually useful for blasters and other squishies since most of the lower level ranged attacks were wimpy and few things could fly. I would actually slot hover with 3 fly enhancements and cruise pretty good on a scenario map then respec out since my account is so old I get like 3 or 4 respecs for veteran awards. Then they allowed travel powers at like 4 or 6 so this was moot. But the game did a lot of things right and a lot of people borrowed from it.