Minimum Budget for Customs ?

General discussions about superheroines!
badgirlsrule
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

This must be the most basic newbie question:

What do members/producers consider the lowest budget I should have
before, realistically approaching anyone to do a custom ?

I know it largely depends on content, but being new here,
I really don't know how much I would need to make anything.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Content matters, but it may depend more on cast.
It also depends on a lot on the producer. Different producer have wildly different price structures.
Christina Carter's web site has very specific, detailed listing of exactly what things cost. Alex David's site is also pretty specific. So visiting those two would give you a good starting point.

Alex Bettinger charged me based on content, but not how you'd think. His pricing was based on how good he thought my video would sell based on content. So in other words, the more specific I made my script, the more he charged, because he had less control and therefore expected that the video would not sell as well.

In my experience, the biggest element of the price is the talent. Most producers (but not all) charge more for female talent than male (presumably because the female talent get paid more). So a video with a female heroine and a male villain will often cost less than a female heroine versus a female villainess.

A video with a solo female would be the cheapest, but this limits you quite a bit in terms of content. I've ordered videos like this, but they are basically femdom PoV where the villainess dominates the viewer.

Minimum cost also depends a lot on length. If you can be happy with a 15 minute video (which to my mind is really just a single scene in a larger story), then it will cost less than an hour-long saga. Most of the customs videos I order are around 30-60 minutes because I like to have a mix of story and sexual content.

Unless you want something very specific and custom-made, costumes probably aren't that big a factor. Most of the studios have a stock of costumes in-house. If you want Christina Carter to do a Wonder Woman video, she's already got the costumes. I don't care much for the stock characters myself, I prefer to make up my own original heroines and costumes, but even then, many studios have a large set of wardrobe item in stock and will put something together for no extra charge. I sent Cali Logan some screen shots that I made using Champions Online and she put the costumers together for free and they were excellent. I did the same with a video for Primal and again, they did a really great job and didn't charge me extra.

Not all studios charge the same, either. There are some studios out there that are very cheap, but I have not had good experiences with these. The video I got wasn't very good.

I assume you probably don't want a solo video, so assuming you need at least two performers, one of them male, if you worked really hard at it, you could probably get someone to make a short (10-15 mins) video for you for under $500.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You can just contact each producer here and ask them. Most have rates pages that will give you an idea.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:You can just contact each producer here and ask them. Most have rates pages that will give you an idea.
Yeah, that's another way to go. I usually write a script and then I send it to the producer that I think is the best fit for the kind of content I am going for. If the price is too high, I will either try to work it out or go somewhere else.

I have a script with 4 heroines in it that I've been sitting on for years, because it's just too expensive to get made. :(
Camvoy Productions
Producer
Producer

What MrX said. Contact the producers you're interested in, mention what you have in mind and go from there. After that, you go with the producer who appears to offer the best quote along with feasibility of it getting done to your taste/requests.
Email about customs - [email protected]
badgirlsrule
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Thank you all for your invaluable advice to a clueless newbie !!
So helpful.. you wouldn't believe !

I had no idea where to start, or what exactly to do.

Special thanks to TIEnTEEZ for so much fantastic info &
personal insight.

I really appreciate you guys :)
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Sure thing. If you have an idea and you want some advice on which studio(s) to send it to, let me know. I haven't tried all of them, but I have a pretty good idea of what a lot of the studios do and where each one excels (or fails to do so). :)