Boobs #1 (Mindy Wheeler, Kickstarter)

shevek
Producer
Producer

You only have three more days to get your hands on some Boobs! (Now that got your attention, didn't it?)

Mindy Wheeler has been circling the perimeter of indie comics for a few years, doing art for Zenescope and Dynamite, as well as participating
in some indie collaborations. Now she's popping the cherry on her first creator-owned title, co-written with her husband,
and it's called...you guessed it... Boobs.

The story is about a super-hot ditzy cosplayer who gets into all sorts of trouble (sorry, I don't know if there's any actual peril)
and is worshipped by a nerdy photographer who apparently doesn't think he has a chance with her, but tries anyway.

From what I understand, this is NOT some kind of parody of Cara Nicole and Alfred (although Mindy did know them years ago when she lived
in Phoenix) but her very own creation. It does seem a bit like a story taken from Penthouse Comix, although it seems to be quite a bit more softcore.
I'm also seeing echoes of comic titles from Mount Olympus (eg Patriotika), so with all of that in Phoenix plus Lady Death, maybe there's something in the desert air that stimulates the growth of comic book mammary glands.

Anyway, I just caught word of this thanks to the Critical Blast episode tonight (see below, if you want to watch it),
so there's only three days left on the Kickstarter campaign. It seems like it might be right up the alley of a few people on this forum,
especially with scenes of the cosplayer ripping her tight Supergirl costume off to expose her...well, you know.

I was also thinking that Mindy Wheeler's art is quite sexy in its own right, and she might be someone folks on this forum might want to hire
if they need some sexy artwork done.

Back it, if you can support the weight of these boobs!

b39d96a72391eb198a897ccdf9780367_original.png
b39d96a72391eb198a897ccdf9780367_original.png (617.61 KiB) Viewed 852 times
86ebc8b62821ea2a58d6de6e0e97fa87_original.png
86ebc8b62821ea2a58d6de6e0e97fa87_original.png (859.43 KiB) Viewed 852 times
f554be68106fbc0118cfd5d727f0829e_original.png
f554be68106fbc0118cfd5d727f0829e_original.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 852 times
69700f5eb83fc3f285b43e4e0b8d781c_original.png
69700f5eb83fc3f285b43e4e0b8d781c_original.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 852 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Some weird shit going on with this Kickstarter campaign.
It's being fulfilled right now - looks like the printed copies are going out soon.
And the digital PDFs have been sent - I downloaded one right from my mailbox.

Good news is that you're getting everything that was shown in the campaign.
Yes, it's all about a cosplayer who wears super tight costumes and can't stay out of trouble, and the nerdy photographer obsessed with her.

But the last few pages contain content that was never mentioned or shown in the campaign images.
If you know anything about the indie comics scene on Youtube, you'll recognize the parody immediately.

But my question is: why did Mindy Wheeler do this?
Was it meant to be a loving homage or a mean-spirited critical parody (I'm thinking the latter, but I don't know enough about her to be 100% sure).

All I can say is tonight was an episode of CG Kings, but nobody was mentioning or talking about "Gaylord Von Schlauber".
So, either nobody else has seen this book yet, or it's not selling to the audience that it's ridiculing. Which lends credence to my theory that it's
not meant to be flattering.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have backed this, had I known. Especially because the #2 issue of this series is apparently going to have this parody character ON THE COVER (instead of boobs, in fact).

I'll drop more info here on this potential controversy if I hear anything from the Youtube denizens.
boobs 1 front cover.jpg
boobs 1 front cover.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 686 times
gaylord von schlauber.jpg
gaylord von schlauber.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 686 times