D&D Honor Among Thieves

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Anyone seen this movie? Seems utube viewers think this is entertaining. Not getting bad reviews.
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Not yet. I will watch it on Tuesday with some friends. Should be fun.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I went and saw it yesterday. As a ye olde D&D player, I found this movie enjoyable. Almost completely washes the farce of the 2000 movie from my memory. :)
It's nice to go to a movie, and say I had fun when leaving.

My 2 cents.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Saw it today. It was entertaining. No cringe. And a bit of tentacle fun and a head KO on one of the girls. The villain is weak, no reasoning behind their motivation. Yeah there's a plot but the person is just boiler plate evil. Some clever twists.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Watched it on Friday. It's an OK movie which balances the need for diverse casting and portrayal with a mainstream satisfying approach to action reminiscent of a 90s TV show. I was a bit disappointed with the bland bald sorceress, and none of the female characters was really beautiful per se. But my main problem is that I'm not very invested in D&D type stories, and so the whole idea of going on search for various MacGuffins and a lot of magic use and spells wasn't really my thing. Plus, i thought the Critical Role animated series did all of this in more whimsical and entertaining manner. But that's just me. I tried it out, and noped out about 60% of the way through. Glad you enjoyed it, if you did!

I was in my LCS today, and I already saw the comic version on the shelves, if anyone's interested...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Watched it on Friday. It's an OK movie which balances the need for diverse casting and portrayal with a mainstream satisfying approach to action reminiscent of a 90s TV show. I was a bit disappointed with the bland bald sorceress, and none of the female characters was really beautiful per se. But my main problem is that I'm not very invested in D&D type stories, and so the whole idea of going on search for various MacGuffins and a lot of magic use and spells wasn't really my thing. Plus, i thought the Critical Role animated series did all of this in more whimsical and entertaining manner. But that's just me. I tried it out, and noped out about 60% of the way through. Glad you enjoyed it, if you did!

I was in my LCS today, and I already saw the comic version on the shelves, if anyone's interested...
I don't like sorcery either because there are no rules. Everything is made up as you go. Its basically insanity. So nothing has real consequence.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also this movie shows that the non-woke crowd are not unreasonable. make a good classic movie and it will be liked. A lot of the usual suspect reviewers are praising this movie. Just stick to the classics. Its not that hard. Hollywood needs more of this to get people back into the theaters. Would be nice to see Sword and Sorcery be the replacement for Super Heroes.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Honestly, I thought Simon was more an artificer than a sorcerer since he was using gadgets and magical trinkets for much of his magic.
The barbarian was giving me flashbacks to a barbarian I was playing 2 months ago too.

Oh, and I'm an big fan of D&D prepared casters-ie clerics and wizards. I tell my DM's that it's a challenge of him vs me. I have a good DM that enjoys the challenge, and smirks when I have just the right spell prepared that day to beat a trap or baddie. :)

My 2 cents.