"Great" movies ....that you don't like at all!

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

No Country for Old Men- I want Anton chigur a person with no reedeming character traits to be the one killed.

Titanic - You know a movie is bad when the song is the best thing about a movie, besides we know the ending: the boat sinks.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes, you can think a movie is good/great and don't like it at all ....that is no contradiction.
So, what are very good/popular movies that many many folks like... but you don't?
Let's say the IMDB rating has to be over 7.5 with more than 50.000 votes so that the movie can be called "good and/or popular".

Let me start....

- Fight Club
Damn, I don't like any of the characters in this movie and practically everyone is insane and/or an asshole.
No, don't like that movie at all. Tried...again... to watch this one a few years back and had to stop after nearly half the movie.
Yeah, great actors and good movie-making skills... but I don't like it!

- Apocalypse Now
The chopper scene with the music (Ritt der Walküren) is awesome (also insane).... but besides that?
Most are on drugs and/or insane the whole time... great imagery and music... but mostly very boring (especially the extended cut) and an endless parade of insanity.
I don't care about any of these guys... and that is always a problem for me.
A nice early appearance by Harrison Ford.

- 2001: A Space Odysey
A good middle part with the evil computer... but the rest is ....for me... a greatly done snoozefest.
And the ending is just a cryptic mindfuck snoozefest.
Kubrick is a great one... but I don't like this one.

....just my opinion.

Now... it's your turn!
Take your picks (and stay on TOPIC)!

*EDIT* Quite odd that my initial post is now the second post of the thread..... :hmmm:
Last edited by Maskripper 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I can't stand it. Totally over rated and a prime example of style over substance. Mankind can't even blow up a tree FFS.

ET-
never seen it never want to see it , a cold day in hell before I sit through that Spielberg schmaltz. My cinematic rule of thumb, avoid anything with cute kids.

12 Years a slave.-
If only there'd been 1 hour of editing. 46 second shot of a moon over a swamp with me desperately looking for the characters who must be there for me to look at as otherwise I am just staring at a moon over a swamp which tells me that it's night time in a swamp, which I picked up after the first few seconds. On failing to spot them I figured they must be about to enter shor. But no it is just 45 seconds of my life wasted looking at a moon over a bloody swamp. Yet the story is lacking character building. My mate summed it up perfectly, you don't see enough of his life before he is abducted to appreciate what he has lost when he is enslaved, so you don't really care about him when he is.

Apollo 13. -
Well done and all but as everyone knows the ending there is zero drama. It's well made , it's well acted, it's got a general interest but absolutely zero tension because you know the outcome.

I will probably think of more later
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
SHL
Producer
Producer

Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago

- Fight Club
Damn, I don't like any of the characters in this movie and practically everyone is insane and/or an asshole.
No, don't like that movie at all. Tried...again... to watch this one a few years back and had to stop after nearly half the movie.
Yeah, great actors and good movie-making skills... but I don't like
Fun fact about Fight Club

The original author didn’t intend to glorify the behavior of the ‘cult’ in the book but rather have a commentary about toxic masculinity. Ironically the films success lead to the opposite of the authors intentions.

Funny how that works out sometimes
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Now I don't want to start a full scale riot here, I acknowledge this movie changed the way movies were made, it has spawned many sequels and prequels and has entertained billions of people world wide, but I did not like the original Star Wars film. It did nothing for me. Sorry guys. I agree with you Maskripper on 2001: a Space Odyssey. The film felt like a bore to me as well.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
Now I don't want to start a full scale riot here, I acknowledge this movie changed the way movies were made, it has spawned many sequels and prequels and has entertained billions of people world wide, but I did not like the original Star Wars film. It did nothing for me. Sorry guys. I agree with you Maskripper on 2001: a Space Odyssey. The film felt like a bore to me as well.
His head His head. LOL
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

SHL wrote:
1 year ago
Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago

- Fight Club
Yeah, great actors and good movie-making skills... but I don't like
Fun fact about Fight Club

The original author didn’t intend to glorify the behavior of the ‘cult’ in the book but rather have a commentary about toxic masculinity. Ironically the films success lead to the opposite of the authors intentions.

Funny how that works out sometimes
We don't talk about Fight Club.
(The second rule is actually "No Smoking" but he fluffed his lines)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Forrest Gump -
Maudlin, saccharine pap with the silly message that a good heart and a 12 candlepower brain will get you everything you want in life.

I propose picking the opposite as well - horribly reviewed movies that we like.

Chips -
Savaged by critics, but awesome if you enjoy the vibe they were shooting for. Some of the best motorcycle riding you will ever see on film, cool action, and that unique Dax Shepard combination of sweet, uncomplicated goodness and juvenile humour.