Disney Layoffs

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Like many overstaffed companies Disney is laying off 7000

I'll risk the backlash, but PLEEEASSE can one of them be Kathleeen Kennedy
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I wonder if that Star Wars hotel thing will get shut down. Its pretty much a fail anyway. Star Wars itself is kind of a done franchise.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
I wonder if that Star Wars hotel thing will get shut down. Its pretty much a fail anyway. Star Wars itself is kind of a done franchise.
Listening to the Clownfish reviews they overpriced it. But thye have forgotten customer service entirely.

I have to go to a trade show in Orlando in a few weeks. I loooked at what was in the Star Wars experience and I could not justify forking out the dough

Now if Mara Jade was domming Leia that I would pay for.
bbsucks
Henchman
Henchman

Is Star Wars a done franchise? I'm not saying this as a super fan or anything (I didn't actually watch any of these shows), but I thought they were doing alright with Mandalorian, Kenobi (or Obi Wan or whatever the show was called), and Endor. And some of their video game stuff has been doing pretty good, too (although I don't know how much disney does with that).

Not sure TV/video game success necessitates a hotel....
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Oh true. I forgot about those shows. But those shows aren't drawing in some giant audience like the movies did. Movies and toy sales are the money makers.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I concur about dumping Kathleen Kennedy. Her flooding the market with Star Wars properties, and then ignoring any potential source materials from any novel series and/or comic book series has caused sooo much harm to a property I have enjoyed since it's introduction in '77!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
I concur about dumping Kathleen Kennedy. Her flooding the market with Star Wars properties, and then ignoring any potential source materials from any novel series and/or comic book series has caused sooo much harm to a property I have enjoyed since it's introduction in '77!
The original Star Wars I saw 4-5 times when it came it out. It was so groundbreaking
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
I don't feel the franchise is done but the sequel trilogy was such a mess it certainly got a reputation hit. The next trilogy of SW movies they plan has to be great and well-thought-out

I also felt Avatar was done after such a long wait and the new movie would flop but look at the box-office numbers. Everyone was talking about it. It's difficult to predict what works or not. But in general if you produce a good movie you'll get rewarded for it.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Box office numbers have gotten bloated with higher costs for inflation, 3D, and IMAX prices!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
I think that's guaranteed at this point. If you want to see what it is like, go ASAP.

Disney has a long track record of replacing underperforming attractions and putting something else in their place.

It is possible that the hotel itself will stay around, but get remodeled into something else. Disney World can always use another hotel.

As for the Star Wars franchise, I think it is a perennial, but the content has to be as good as the original stuff, which is a high bar. I think the pundits will shut up about "Disney is doomed" when Mando season 3 comes out on March 1st.

I hope to see the franchise under new management soon. KK, go away!
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

All these layoffs and she still has her disney job, so many years after she was supposedly going to be pushed out. :coffee:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't know if Star Wars can survive. How long can you be at war?
Wondersarah
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
From what some of my coworkers have told me is that it will be shutting down. No idea of when though.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

bbsucks wrote:
1 year ago
Is Star Wars a done franchise? I'm not saying this as a super fan or anything (I didn't actually watch any of these shows), but I thought they were doing alright with Mandalorian, Kenobi (or Obi Wan or whatever the show was called), and Endor. And some of their video game stuff has been doing pretty good, too (although I don't know how much disney does with that).

Not sure TV/video game success necessitates a hotel....
The TV shows seem to be running out of steam. The Boba Fett one was pure fanservice and really crap, kind of proving that you can't just vomit up cool stuff from the past for an easy W (literally in the case of that show).

Andor is absurdly good, but it's not like Star Wars can maintain that level for long.

In the end everything has to come back to three great movies from forty years ago.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
This was the problem with the sequel trilogy. If you just say, "LOL Emperor is back, and so is the Empire, also bigger and with infinite resources" it's just shit.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
This was the problem with the sequel trilogy. If you just say, "LOL Emperor is back, and so is the Empire, also bigger and with infinite resources" it's just shit.
One idea I had was that in the second episode with Rey, Snokes reveals princess Leia works for him. Imagine you have a giant military order. All the bad guys are crushed. So now you have a bunch of armed military generals who become mischievous and power hungry. How do you stop any infighting or coups. You have a perpetual bad guy.

So what Snokes does is leak enough resources to Leia to keep the rebels alive and enough of a threat. He then lets them barely win. This keeps your military in power, busy and not up to mischief while at the same time ferreting out possible opposition.

Basically the empire always has to be at war, always has to have a common enemy or it fractures and all central power is lost. How do you herd cats? With a loud barking dog.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
One idea I had was that in the second episode with Rey, Snokes reveals princess Leia works for him. Imagine you have a giant military order. All the bad guys are crushed. So now you have a bunch of armed military generals who become mischievous and power hungry. How do you stop any infighting or coups. You have a perpetual bad guy.

So what Snokes does is leak enough resources to Leia to keep the rebels alive and enough of a threat. He then lets them barely win. This keeps your military in power, busy and not up to mischief while at the same time ferreting out possible opposition.

Basically the empire always has to be at war, always has to have a common enemy or it fractures and all central power is lost. How do you herd cats? With a loud barking dog.
Right yeah you are aware that the Galactic Empire crumbled after Return of the Jedi, right? The First Order was a relatively small, hi-tech enclave. Snoke was not in charge of the galaxy. He was, effectively, an insurrectionist.

Now... why the New Republic didn't just send in the fleets and crush him and gave Leia only two capital ships and exactly one squadron of bombers... I don't know. I don't think people were thinking very hard about this stuff. Including you.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Which is why The Thrawn Trilogy would have been a far better sequal. Even if you have to recast Luke, Leia and Han.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Should have ended the whole Palpatine/Emperor arc after RotJ and started something new. Even new things for mostly new characters, though maybe with the old ones sending the new ones on their way.

Still, it is what it is.

And we still have one more season of Andor to look forward to.

Andor is so fricking good. For comparison of the quality of the writing; in the movies it's just LOL Emperor is back, LMAO we have a thousand Star Destroyers in secret also they have Death Star lasers. And that's just a thing that happens.

In Andor the Empire needs workers, so it uses rebel activities to justify tougher sentences and arbitrary imprisonment so it can have more prison labour, and we see that when Cass gets jailed for being in the wrong place when a stormtrooper is around. The prison and the escape from it becomes a main story point. That story expands and we learn that the prisoners were building components for the Death Star.

It's like The Wire, all the pieces matter. A coherent chain of developments pointing us towards the greater story, which we now mostly know between Rogue One and A New Hope, but won't say no to another season.

Am starting to think that the Ultimate Cut of the Star Wars franchise would be two seasons of Andor, Rogue One, A New Hope, then get out of there while the going is good.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Should have ended the whole Palpatine/Emperor arc after RotJ and started something new. Even new things for mostly new characters, though maybe with the old ones sending the new ones on their way.

Still, it is what it is.

And we still have one more season of Andor to look forward to.

Andor is so fricking good. For comparison of the quality of the writing; in the movies it's just LOL Emperor is back, LMAO we have a thousand Star Destroyers in secret also they have Death Star lasers. And that's just a thing that happens.

In Andor the Empire needs workers, so it uses rebel activities to justify tougher sentences and arbitrary imprisonment so it can have more prison labour, and we see that when Cass gets jailed for being in the wrong place when a stormtrooper is around. The prison and the escape from it becomes a main story point. That story expands and we learn that the prisoners were building components for the Death Star.

It's like The Wire, all the pieces matter. A coherent chain of developments pointing us towards the greater story, which we now mostly know between Rogue One and A New Hope, but won't say no to another season.

Am starting to think that the Ultimate Cut of the Star Wars franchise would be two seasons of Andor, Rogue One, A New Hope, then get out of there while the going is good.
It may be on YouTube but Darth Angelas animated Heir to the Empire is worth viewing but nothing has shown up for a few months
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago

Add to the list whoever decided to cancel Scrooge McDuck

https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-ros ... k-stories/
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago

Add to the list whoever decided to cancel Scrooge McDuck

https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-ros ... k-stories/
You say 'cancel Scrooge McDuck' but what's actually happened is that they have decided they won't reprint a couple of Don Rosa stories in the future.

Which, I mean, how sad I guess if you were a big fan of reprints of old timey Disney comics?

If you're a collector of old timey Disney comics this is probably the best news you'd have heard in a long time.