Legion of Super Heroes

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't really like this animation style. Its apparent its mostly CG generated.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Faster, cheaper, and probably the DC future to crank them out. Hopefully the writing will improve.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This style seems to force things to certain camera angles and billboard-ish style scenes. Face shots like family pictures, during fight scenes you rarely see feet touching ground, the dynamic fights are more billboard. Almost a throw back to the old superfriends days.

Also, if its like Avengers Assemble, then nothing has any significance either. Getting hit by Thor's hammer wasn't anything worse than getting hit by Hawkeye's arrow. No consequences. Talk talk talk in billboard style with the same profiles then BAM BAM action then talk talk but none of the fighting has any significance. No damage... nothing.
shevek
Producer
Producer

At least the heroines look fit and pretty, if not particularly curvaceous.

But coming from another angle: everything's about an "academy" these days, isn't it? I certainly don't remember there being a "Legion Academy" in the past - prospective members from across the galaxy would simply show their powers at a Legion meeting, and there'd be an upvote or downvote, right? Then if they were accepted, they'd join the Clubhouse, but there was no Academy. I remember this from as recently as a Legion cartoon from a few years ago where an applicant was rejected and became resentful because of that, and then she allied herself with Emerald Empress and the Fatal Five. I'm recalling this correctly, right?

Maybe they leaned into that a bit to appeal to the younger fanbase which has been inundated with that trope (Strange Academy, Umbrella Academy, Hero Academia, there's so many it's hard to keep up).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago

I never saw the appeal of this group.

You have the JLA and you have the Titans/Young Justice.

Other than being from the future, they brought nothing to the table
Damselbinder

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago

I never saw the appeal of this group.

You have the JLA and you have the Titans/Young Justice.

Oh yeah, completely. Can't see how them being from a completely different time period would bring in ANY unique story opportunities.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Well then, I would say, that other than that, they brought probably a dozen or more extremely beautiful superheroines to the table,
especially as depicted in the Silver and Bronze Ages. That's never a bad thing.

And yet, there was one element which way more suspect than just them being "from the future":
In most cases, each member of the Legion came from a planet where THE ENTIRE POPULATION HAD THE SAME POWERS.
Not unlike in the Marvel Universe, where every Skrull can shapeshift, every Shi'ar can lift one ton, and every Kree has increased strength and speed.

So, there was nothing really special about many of the heroes - anyone from their planet could have done the same job, as long as they were brave and selfless enough to leave their homeworld and fight evil amongst the galaxies.

The only difference was that some of the Legion ladies were extraordinarily hot compared to, perhaps, the average female citizen on their worlds :)
But then again, so was the Emerald Empress.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Well then, I would say, that other than that, they brought probably a dozen or more extremely beautiful superheroines to the table,
especially as depicted in the Silver and Bronze Ages. That's never a bad thing.

And yet, there was one element which way more suspect than just them being "from the future":
In most cases, each member of the Legion came from a planet where THE ENTIRE POPULATION HAD THE SAME POWERS.
Not unlike in the Marvel Universe, where every Skrull can shapeshift, every Shi'ar can lift one ton, and every Kree has increased strength and speed.

So, there was nothing really special about many of the heroes - anyone from their planet could have done the same job, as long as they were brave and selfless enough to leave their homeworld and fight evil amongst the galaxies.

The only difference was that some of the Legion ladies were extraordinarily hot compared to, perhaps, the average female citizen on their worlds :)
But then again, so was the Emerald Empress.
I thought it was everyone on that planet had abilities but the legionnaire was extraordinary. Like all atlanteans can swim and breathe water and has increased durability but Aquaman is way above average. Even Superman is an extraordinary Kryptonian.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Yes. For example, Cosmic Boy was the world champion of "Magno Ball", the world sport for Braal. Saturn Girl was the strongest telepath of Titan. Lightning Lad, Lightning Lass, and Lightning Lord were unique individuals.
As for the academy question, pre-Millennium there was an academy for legionnaire wanna-bes. Head instructors were Bouncing Boy and his wife, Duo Damsel. Three of their graduates are Dawnstar, Tellus, and Timber Wolf.
Went here for research: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legion_Academy

Hope this helps.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I definitely stand corrected.

Though I know about Dawnstar (one of the most beautiful Legionnaires) and Timber Wolf, I'd never heard of the Academy before. I'm very glad it was created by Jim Shooter from Pittsburgh! Thanks, Danorian.

I do remember some of the inhabitants of the various planets engaging in contests to see who would represent them in the Legion. But I also do remember most of the Legionnnaires (not all) coming from planets where everyone had powers. Which of course means they had to be the bravest and most selfless from their planets, Iike I said. Thank you for the clarification, Mr. X. Much appreciated!
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
I definitely stand corrected.

Though I know about Dawnstar (one of the most beautiful Legionnaires) and Timber Wolf, I'd never heard of the Academy before. I'm very glad it was created by Jim Shooter from Pittsburgh! Thanks, Danorian.

I do remember some of the inhabitants of the various planets engaging in contests to see who would represent them in the Legion. But I also do remember most of the Legionnnaires (not all) coming from planets where everyone had powers. Which of course means they had to be the bravest and most selfless from their planets, Iike I said. Thank you for the clarification, Mr. X. Much appreciated!
Well, my biggest memory of them was Laurel Kent, distant descendant of Superman. Her kryptonian lineage was so diluted, her only special ability was being invulnerable! Couldn't be hurt, but could still get buried under a brick wall, or some such! Of course DC mucked her up in Millennium by making her a Manhunter spy in Legion affairs! She did wear a rather small costume! :D
Oh, and heartedly agree about Dawnstar! The LSH ladies in the 70's were VERY nice on the eyes IMHO!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
Well, my biggest memory of them was Laurel Kent, distant descendant of Superman. Her kryptonian lineage was so diluted, her only special ability was being invulnerable! Couldn't be hurt, but could still get buried under a brick wall, or some such! Of course DC mucked her up in Millennium by making her a Manhunter spy in Legion affairs! She did wear a rather small costume! :D
Oh, and heartedly agree about Dawnstar! The LSH ladies in the 70's were VERY nice on the eyes IMHO!
Yes, a very small costume - it could hardly stay up in normal gravity I think.
Plus she and Dawnstar were apparently roommates in that Academy? The mind gets to wandering...

But then of course, she was replaced in continuity by the Daxamite character Laurel Gand, whom I remember reading stores about in 90s Legion books, created by Keith Giffen with much of the same sense of humor he brought to his JLA run. Laurel Gand aka Andromeda was super hot but also very mercurial - her storyline went all over the place until she finally disappeared from Legion stories in the late 2000s.

There's a lot of Legion ladies to talk about, isn't there? :)
shevek
Producer
Producer

I recently watched this entire animated movie (I hadn't done so before), and it's better than is indicated by this thread.
It's a standard superhero adventure with absolutely nothing that could remove the viewer from immersion.

All the female characters look conventionally sexy: pretty hair and eyes, gorgeous figures, tight costumes.
All of them have amicable and relatable personalities. None of them have girlboss you-can't-tell-me-shit attitude.

Supergirl gets into peril with Solomon Grundy and Brainiac, while Triplicate Girl gets seriously harmed (but she has a gorgeous butt).

The character portrays Supergirl as being a bit immature, hormonal, violent and petulant, but then again, she also pursues a heterosexual relationship (the only one in the movie). Absolutely nobody in the movie is virtue signaled as being LGBT for mere brownie points. (Despite being in the far future where everything's more utopian, I just don't think DC has gone that way with the Legion characters. Maybe they just forgot to!)

In other words, everything's very straight-ahead with no agenda in sight. It's a refreshing change from the current industry nonsense, and I suggest that you give this animated movie a watch if you enjoy superheroines doing their thing.

I also noticed something very enjoyable that you wouldn't notice unless you looked up the female voice actors: They're all super hot, like the cast of the CW's Flash. They didn't need to be gorgeous - they're just voice acting - but for whatever reason the casting director picked them all that way.

And this got me to thinking: it might have cost quite a bit more, but they could have just as easily cast all of these perfectly capable actresses in a live-action version of this film and it would have looked perfectly fine if the costumes were tight.

Victoria Grace as Shadow Lass (she'd have blue skin, regardless).
victoria grace shadow lass.jpg
victoria grace shadow lass.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Cynthia Hamidi as Dawnstar. Oh my stars and garters, what are they feeding them in Morocco.
cynthia hamidi.jpg
cynthia hamidi.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Gideon Adlon as Phantom Girl.
gideon adlon.jpg
gideon adlon.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 618 times
And finally Meg Donnelly, looking perfect in real life as Supergirl.
meg donnelly.jpg
meg donnelly.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 618 times
I repeat - these are the actual voice actresses playing the roles in this animated movie.

Would have loved to have seen this in live action, for sure! Maybe someday.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

I would like to see her dressed as Supergirl. :sneaky: :sneaky: