Is BATMAN TAS the best animated series

General discussions about superheroines!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As Kevin Conroy recently died.

Looking back through the episodes is Batman TAS, the one before they combined it with Superman, the best animated series?

I think so
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I also liked the classic X-Men cartoon. They had a lot of Rogue booty scenes in that.
shevek
Producer
Producer

This list puts only the Simpsons above it. So, sure.
Not sure X-Men should be as low as #17 but they had a lot of considerations.
https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-animated-series/

The only thing I don't like about this list is how it's pretty much just the US and Japan. And not even much Japan.
I would definitely put Cybersix on there (but it was made in Argentina and Korea) and also Winx Club (from Italy, EIGHT SEASONS!).
And that list is also more than 10 years old: at this point I would definitely say Miraculous Ladybug and Primal make it on there as well.
Primal should be in the top 10 easily.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
This list puts only the Simpsons above it. So, sure.
Not sure X-Men should be as low as #17 but they had a lot of considerations.
https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-animated-series/

The only thing I don't like about this list is how it's pretty much just the US and Japan. And not even much Japan.
I would definitely put Cybersix on there (but it was made in Argentina and Korea) and also Winx Club (from Italy, EIGHT SEASONS!).
And that list is also more than 10 years old: at this point I would definitely say Miraculous Ladybug and Primal make it on there as well.
Primal should be in the top 10 easily.
I should have qualified to say Superhero.

If all animation I would put Castelvania and Yu Yu Hakusho in the top 10
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Just curious what the criteria is for the "best"? Art or storyline? Batman TAS is definitely the best for consistent and compelling story line.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Just curious what the criteria is for the "best"? Art or storyline? Batman TAS is definitely the best for consistent and compelling story line.
For me were the stories and dialogue

Conroy at Batman
Hamill as the Joker
Zimbalist as Alfred

others
Damselbinder

I don't about THE best ever, but it's certainly a masterpiece. Moody, gothic, with a sense of class and dry humour that I think Batman-adaptations before and since have never quite managed to equal.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Are we just talking like... SUPERHERO shows? Cause maybe.

But Avatar the Last Airbender is the best Animated series ever made. Full stop. It's not even close. Though some anime fans will likely pull up an Anime classic and dub that the best perhaps. It's all pretty subjective to your taste and preferred mediums...

But Avatar's the best one out of ALL of them.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

In terms of animation overall there's not really a conversation to be had, it's The Simpsons and it really isn't even close. That show has had a cultural impact like no other. It changed the world.

As for a superhero thing? Yeah it's probably the best. The art style is amazing, the cast defined the characters for decades, it gave the world Harley Quinn and it paved the way for the Arkham trilogy of games, which are the best superhero games yet made.
Damselbinder

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
Are we just talking like... SUPERHERO shows? Cause maybe.

But Avatar the Last Airbender is the best Animated series ever made. Full stop. It's not even close. Though some anime fans will likely pull up an Anime classic and dub that the best perhaps. It's all pretty subjective to your taste and preferred mediums...

But Avatar's the best one out of ALL of them.
I'd agree with you... if you were correct...
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They drew the show on black paper... genius.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
In terms of animation overall there's not really a conversation to be had, it's The Simpsons and it really isn't even close. That show has had a cultural impact like no other. It changed the world.

As for a superhero thing? Yeah it's probably the best. The art style is amazing, the cast defined the characters for decades, it gave the world Harley Quinn and it paved the way for the Arkham trilogy of games, which are the best superhero games yet made.
Simpson for me got tiresome, although I must admidt I did enjoy the destruction of Woke Yale
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah the Simpsons has been complete shit for well over a decade by this point, but when it was good it was some of the best TV the USA has ever produced.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

90scartoon.jpg
90scartoon.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

See the thing is there's no way you'd ever get to see it looking like that. It'd be a blink and you miss it moment, and if you recorded it on VHS it'd would look fuzzy and weird because tapes were a disaster. As hot as the art often was on 90s cartoons the best you'd ever really see would be like a subliminal flicker. Which is maybe the way it should be.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
See the thing is there's no way you'd ever get to see it looking like that. It'd be a blink and you miss it moment, and if you recorded it on VHS it'd would look fuzzy and weird because tapes were a disaster. As hot as the art often was on 90s cartoons the best you'd ever really see would be like a subliminal flicker. Which is maybe the way it should be.
Actually it isn't 2 frames. Long enough for him to say "You will be exterminated". And the show had plenty of those shots, mostly from Rogue but some of Jean Grey. Just in this scene we see her knocked around, collapse, bent over.

Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I stand corrected. I remember that show being hornier than usual but not that extent. But then I didn't have it on video so I only saw it the once, with a smattering of repeats, and I don't think I even saw it all.

Also it bears repeating, it will never not be a tragedy how badly wrong they got Rogue in the X-Men movies. Why was she not like that? Still annoyed by that.
EricPerridon2050
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

One these best animated series in 90's and still sad 😢 that Mr.Conroy died so far young in ages 60 years older 🦇🖤💛
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

How is the original She-Ra not on that top 100 list?

Speaking of She-Ra, wasn't someone developing a live action version based on the original?
phopho
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Will Meugniot drew that ass.