Titans Season 4 (HBO, 2022)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer
United States of America

Titans Season 4 (HBO, 2022)

Post by shevek »

With the CW about to evaporate, the best superhero show in Western television is now Titans.
It's also the most industrious - they've been cranking out these seasons in short order like nobody's business.

They've got a packed lineup of villains - Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, Brother Blood, and Mother Mayhem - you wonder how they'll have time to fit all those plots in. My guess is that at least three of these characters will join up and/or work together against the Titans.

And Jinx joins the team, which gives them a chance to up the diversity quotient (as does comics legend Bryan Edward Hill writing the 2nd episode). She's a villainess in most of the comics (in the Fearsome Five) but it looks like she might turn over a new leaf here and use her magic for good.

No Dove, no Wonder Girl, no Red Hood maybe? I wonder why they never tried to introduce Terra, Lilith or Bumblebee. Reasons, I suppose.
So as far as heroines, we might just be looking at Starfire and Raven.

Season 4 drops this Thursday. Here's the trailer - typical dark bombastic stuff. I'll follow the show.

shevek
Producer
Producer
United States of America

Re: Titans Season 4 (HBO, 2022)

Post by shevek »

How is everyone liking Titans Season 4 so far? I think this is the best US superhero show right now (yes, better than Stargirl, although both have the supervision of Geoff Johns, so they're comparable in some way - both shows are running a horror mystery at the same time).

The plot about Lex Luthor, Mother Mayhem, Brother Blood, and the Cult of Azarath is a slow burn, as more gets revealed each episode.
So far, I got through two:

1) EP1 - Connor explores his relationship with his half-father and creator Lex Luthor. Something happens to Lex, you'll need to watch it yourself.
Starfire looks really hot dispatching all of Lex's henchmen - apparently she has warrior-level super strength and can toss 200-pound men around like ragdolls. Get some good stills of Anna Diop posing powerfully in that tight outfit - it's the best one on US TV right now (yes, I like the costume even better than Stargirl's).

2) EP2 - The Titans engage in an investigation of the Blood Cult and slowly find out a lot. Two important battles:

- Raven fights the nightmare killer. There's a great peril moment where Raven is temporarily incapacitated on the floor, looking desperate,
while the killer crouches over her. Definitely capture that one in a still if you can - it's a powerful scene.

- The team battles the challenge of Mother Mayhem on a highway leading out of Metropolis (apparently, she doesn't want them to leave?).
Apparently, Starfire's power is the key to keeping Mayhem at bay, and it seems that Mayhem also somehow sucks out Raven's dark magic.

But the big revelation is when Raven's hair turns white, portending her transformation into White Raven (see the comics) which will release her entirely from Trigon's influence at some point.
I have to say, Teagan Croft looks OK as Raven normally, but with the removal of the 'forehead gem' and her hair turning long and white,
her face looks absolutely gorgeous. Another still one could capture would be White Raven unconscious, right at the end of this episode.

Along with Mother Mayhem (played by Franka Potente of Run Lola Run fame), who wields a powerful staff, there are at least three powerful female characters in this series worth checking out in every scene they're in. No masks on the ladies (sorry Maskripper) but everything else seems to be clicking for a great, blood-dripping, occult-filled horror story this season.
Last edited by shevek 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer
United States of America

Post by shevek »

EP3 and EP4 are a bit slower in pace as the story of The Organization (known in the comics as the Cult of Azarath) slowly unravels
and as the Titans try to figure out who the witch (aka Mother Mayhem) they battled in EP2 is, plus what the organization wants
with an anxious gamer nerd named Sebastian Sanger (it becomes a bit clearer by EP4).

The series introduces Jinx as a new member of Titans (she's a criminal) but unfortunately the character is not particular appealing either in personality or attractiveness. She reminds me somewhat of Astra from the Legends of Tomorrow, just basically there.

The series also randomly introduces Elves into the DC Universe (I don't think they existed before...that's kind of a Marvel/Asgardian type of thing).
Nothing at all is really made of this elf addition, other than the fact that they run a secret nightclub, and Dick gets to fight a bunch of them.

Also, Starfire gets turned to stone for a bit. That's not really peril because you can't really see someone's visceral reaction to petrification.
One thing puzzles me about this bit: Jinx and Dick leave the Starfire statue for a few hours in a high-security vault while they go look for that
petrification cure, and yet nobody from the vault's ownership has bothered to even touch Starfire or move her until they return. Seems a bit strange: if it's so high-security, why isn't anyone monitoring the breach?

By the end of EP4, we know a lot more about the origin of Mother Mayhem (aka May Bennett, the 2nd Mother Mayhem from the Titans comics)
but the Titans are not much closer to finding her yet. Instead, they waste time fighting a bunch of Wal-Mart zombies (and for some bizarre reason, a zombie version of Deathstroke) that Mother Mayhem unleashes on them. Some of this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

At least Raven is looking great in her new white hair. Hopefully we get back to the costumes in the next episodes!
Bronson881
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bronson881 »

They should put Stargirl on HBOMax. Anyway I am enjoying Titans season 4. The fight scenes as well as the character arcs are wonderful. I look forward to each episode.
Bronson881
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bronson881 »

They should put Stargirl on HBOMax.

I am enjoying Season 4. The battle scenes as well as the character arcs are amazing. I so look forward to each episode.
shevek
Producer
Producer
United States of America

Post by shevek »

Welp, I guess Tim Drake is officially gay.

Also...I originally thought it was exciting that they used Swans "Screen Shot" (from 'To Be Kind', 2014) at the beginning of EP5.
But then, I saw in various Youtube comments that the same track has been used in multiple Netflix shows. I guess Gira has a good licensing agent.

Good things, though: more Starfire in sexy costume. Gar turns into a virus (kudos to the writer who thought of that!). And the headquarters of
the Cult of Trigon is pretty sweet: they've got a nice dark cavern lit by torches, but somehow also a laptop and a computer screen.
shevek
Producer
Producer
United States of America

Post by shevek »

Anyone seen Titans S5 E6 (season finale) yet?

Not going to spoil anything, but it's a big cliffhanger, and there *definitely* has to be another season coming.
As you might imagine, it's a confrontation with Mother Mayhem and her son Sebastian Blood.

Two notables:
- We get to see a costume that was made for Jinx...but not for very long. She looks cute in it, but it's not so much a slam dunk
as the tight costumes of previous seasons' Titans (Dove, Wonder Girl, Starfire, Blackfire).
- We also get to see a new costume for Raven. It's only shown very briefly, but it's the White Raven one, and for some reason
instead of being spandex and shiny, they went with a softer "lingerie" look to the bodysuit. A bit reminiscent of Emma Frost, maybe, but
with the signature Raven hood and flowing cape. Teagan Croft will look gorgeous in it, so no complaints yet.

Oh, and I forgot.....Chameleons' "Don't Fall" used right at the beginning of the episode (when Conner is shaving his head with his laser vision
and a mirror). Big shout out to any UK Mancunians out there (so much to answer for), I just recently worked with Mark Burgess and his Chameleons on a
successful concert, and it was a great time!
Last edited by shevek 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bronson881
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bronson881 »

I did not know it was the season finale but it was very good. I look forward to Season 5. Raven's arc is intriging and looking forward to seeing more. I liked Raven's interaction with Sebastian in the previous episode.