Marvel's Silk (live action TV series) in the works

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/silk-m ... 234758434/
Silk could soon be the next Marvel character to get her own TV series, Variety has learned from sources.

Variety has learned that Sony, which controls the rights to the Spider-Man universe, is developing a live-action series centered on Silk. Lauren Moon is in talks to write. Like Silk, Moon is Korean-American. Her past credits include the Freeform series “Good Trouble” and the Netflix series “Atypical.”

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are executive producing under their Lord Miller production banner along with former Sony Pictures Entertainment head Amy Pascal. Sony Pictures Television, where Lord Miller is under a rich overall deal, will produce. No network or streaming service is currently attached, but sources say Amazon is in talks to acquire the project.

Reps for Sony, Moon, Lord Miller, Pascal, and Amazon declined to comment.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Sounds good! First a Spider-woman movie in the works....now this! :thumbup:
We are living in glorious times! Well, at least in terms of (masked) heroines making it to the screen....
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

oh yes!!! one of my favorites to cosplay!!!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Slinky females in catsuits - insta-win!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Evil Spider
Elder Member
Elder Member

I sure would like to have some sticky web and cocoon play with Silk! :spidey:
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Wonder if this is the "Spider-Woman" project Olivia Wilde was said to be directing. The rumor was she'll be directing Spider-Woman Movie, but maybe that's wrong, it's not a movie but instead it's this Silk series.

Olivia Wilde to direct Spider-Woman, for Sony

:spidey:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
shevek
Producer
Producer

Silk is super-hot, and probably the most prominent Asian heroine in comics. (Unless you count Psylocke, who is half Japanese)
Marvel's done much better in that category..D.C. just has Doctor Light or something like that.

No, Scribbler, I think it's two different things. You can see they were very careful with identity politics to hire a Korean writer,
because God forbid the kimchi won't be as pungent otherwise. But hopefully that will also pay off with some cultural depth to
the character.

Although it pains me to imagine how they could somehow de-sexify this character, to avoid the accusation of "fetishization" (which, for us, is kind of the whole point). Guess we'll see!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Silk is super-hot, and probably the most prominent Asian heroine in comics. (Unless you count Psylocke, who is half Japanese)
Marvel's done much better in that category..D.C. just has Doctor Light or something like that.

No, Scribbler, I think it's two different things. You can see they were very careful with identity politics to hire a Korean writer,
because God forbid the kimchi won't be as pungent otherwise. But hopefully that will also pay off with some cultural depth to
the character.

Although it pains me to imagine how they could somehow de-sexify this character, to avoid the accusation of "fetishization" (which, for us, is kind of the whole point). Guess we'll see!
Does the name Katana means anything to anyone? I'd say she is more prominent. And if you look at anti heroes so is Lady Shiva
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago

the character.

Does the name Katana means anything to anyone? I'd say she is more prominent. And if you look at anti heroes so is Lady Shiva
Well, I said comics, not movies. More people right now know Katana from her prominent appearances in Suicide Squad and Super Hero Girls. But Katana only had her own book for a short time (I have most of that run, actually). Silk's title ran considerably longer.

But maybe you're right and it's six of one, half dozen of the other. In any case, if there truly is a Silk movie, she will then become the best known in movies as well.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

RavenClaw
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Finally, hopefully they do it right
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hmh, well, not my favorite female Spider and not my favorite mask when it comes to masked female spiders... BUT... I am looking forward to it!
Every TV show with a masked lady in the lead is always a good thing for me.
Hopefully, the action will be one of the main aspects of the show.
The fact that Amazon is behind it is a good thing as the show should have a proper budget at least.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well, at least now the average Joe on the street will recognize one of my all time favorite cosplays!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago
Hmh, well, not my favorite female Spider and not my favorite mask when it comes to masked female spiders... BUT... I am looking forward to it!
Every TV show with a masked lady in the lead is always a good thing for me.
Hopefully, the action will be one of the main aspects of the show.
The fact that Amazon is behind it is a good thing as the show should have a proper budget at least.
Except...what is the point of this kind of mask?
You can see her hair (she doesn't change it from her civilian identity).
You can see her eyes and the whole top half of her face.
That should be enough for anyone to easily identify her, just the way you identify someone who is wearing a Covid mask
by those same distinguishing features.
I can see it only as being a specific stylistic choice where she doesn't care if people find out that she is Cindy Moon.

Also, part of Silk's upcoming appearances in the Marvel Universe (other than the live-action TV series) is a film showcasing three generations of female Spider-related characters (Spider-Woman and Spider-Gwen). Could be quite a boon for superheroine fans if done right.

I hope there are some interesting storylines in this upcoming Silk series, and that it doesn't just get pigeonholed into Asian culture like that gender-flipped Kung Fu TV series on The CW. Although she is a fairly new character (2014), Silk has spent the last couple years segregated into an all-Asian superhero team called New Agents of Atlas (led by Jimmy Woo). I'd much rather see her encounter a wide range of Spiderverse-related characters instead - whomever Sony has access to as part of their overall Spider-Man deal.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago

That should be enough for anyone to easily identify her, just the way you identify someone who is wearing a Covid mask
I can see it only as being a specific stylistic choice where she doesn't care if people find out that she is Cindy Moon.
Yeah, it's not the greatest disguise, but at least it covers some parts of the face.
Much more of a disguise than Supergirl has to offer and any of those who are wearing these tiny eye masks.
In this genre... the majority of masks don't offer a proper disguise that would be needed to really protect a secret identity.

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago

Yeah, it's not the greatest disguise, but at least it covers some parts of the face.
Much more of a disguise than Supergirl has to offer and any of those who are wearing these tiny eye masks.
In this genre... the majority of masks don't offer a proper disguise that would be needed to really protect a secret identity.
Honestly, pre the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, Supergirl sported a brown wig, and eventually got a high-tech(kryptonian BS sciency mumbo jumbo)hair dye to help conceal her LINDA Danvers civilian identity.
The tv just went lazy with the "Superman with boobs" route for Supergirl's civilian identity. Also lame with keeping Kara for her civilian name. Guess a Linda spurned the advances of one of the writers?

My 2 cents.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Anything happening with this? Or was it eliminated in some purge?
The problem in real life with any disguise is that most people can recognize people at a distance from really little information, like eyes, voice pattern, body language. In a TV show context, suspension of disbelief is the easiest route. A batgirl mask with a red wig is as good as Clark or Cara pulling off their glasses. It tells the viewer here is the change from one identity to the next…
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

People have never recognized me as Silk, the one cosplay that uses my natural hair...still not recognized, among my con pals that is
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

@sneakly, here's an update, and it's a rather disappointing one at that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235497971/
As soon as they finish postproduction on Spider-Verse, the writers strike will impose a break on their output and offer some respite. “It’ll be the first time we haven’t been in production for 13 years,” says Lord. (Animation is not covered under the WGA, which is why work on Spider-Verse continues, though it has been postproduction, not writing.) Their writers rooms shut down for a third season of The Afterparty as well as Amazon’s live-action Spider-Verse TV shows (Silk and another based on the Spider-Man Noir character). Development has paused on a number of features, too. Miller, a married father of two, plans to take his family on their first vacation in a few years, and then the two say they will be on the picket lines.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Elimew
Neophyte
Neophyte

First, Daredevil gets overhauled, and now Silk? Interesting development.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Geese.... a rocky production is never a good sign... but at least it sounds like it hasn't really 'begun' yet. So maybe it'll still be fine.