Kevin Conroy, the iconic voice of Batman, has died

General discussions about superheroines!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/k ... r-AA140uth
Kevin Conroy, the voice actor who was the Batman for a generation, passed away at the age of 66, The Verge has confirmed. In an email seen by The Verge, DC public relations wrote, “It is with profound sadness that I send this to you today. Kevin Conroy, the quintessential voice of Batman, a dear friend to so many of us, has passed away.”
chase251
Henchman
Henchman

NO! :no: Thank you making my Childhood awesome Sir RIP :bmbw: :ybat:
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Even though animation, I think Conroy was the best Batman.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This is really sad. He was the best Batman by such a long way.

His voice was perfect, none of this gravelly threatening nonsense, always in control, always clear, and he had that weight to it, he understood that Batman was about carrying pain, but still doing what he had to. Was brilliant to have him back for the Arkham series.
MercianComics
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
I think it is impossible to compare a role in which someone voiced to those who embodied it. However, I believe Conroy would have been a good choice for Batman in the 1980s. He was muscular, tall, and handsome in a slightly unusual way. Testament to that, I remember him in Dynasty where he played a gay politician for a season. Dynasty was renowned for only recruiting handsome actors and beautiful actresses.

RIP.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

MercianComics wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
I think it is impossible to compare a role in which someone voiced to those who embodied it. However, I believe Conroy would have been a good choice for Batman in the 1980s. He was muscular, tall, and handsome in a slightly unusual way. Testament to that, I remember him in Dynasty where he played a gay politician for a season. Dynasty was renowned for only recruiting handsome actors and beautiful actresses.

RIP.
Well, he did get to do a live action appearance as Bruce Wayne, didn't wear the cowl, so not Batman per se`, in Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths! Even beat up Supergirl for a bit. :ohmg:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MercianComics wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago

RIP.
I don't think it is an unfair comparison. I mean even the actors who played him it's mostly a stand there in the suit and do a voice job. Michael Keaton could barely move in it but he was still great. Conroy was the best, because he went in that whole different direction with it. Made Batman a much warmer character than modern interpretations.
MercianComics
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Danorian wrote:
1 year ago

Well, he did get to do a live action appearance as Bruce Wayne, didn't wear the cowl, so not Batman per se`, in Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths! Even beat up Supergirl for a bit. :ohmg:
I haven't seen that. I did watch Supergirl for the first three seasons.
MercianComics
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago

I don't think it is an unfair comparison. I mean even the actors who played him it's mostly a stand there in the suit and do a voice job. Michael Keaton could barely move in it but he was still great. Conroy was the best, because he went in that whole different direction with it. Made Batman a much warmer character than modern interpretations.
The visual side is incredibly important. How he looks in the mask, the suit, delivering the lines, his eyes, his expressions, his interaction with the other players and how he moves and fights. Remember, he's not just Batman but Bruce Wayne too. Let me reiterate I believe Kevin Conroy would have been good, but his live-action Batman performance doesn't exist, so we'll never know.

A lot of fans like animated Wonder Woman. People say Keri Russell was awesome and looked right for the part too. But that's all you can say. If it doesn't exist, then you can't compare.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I get what you're saying but I don't agree. If I'm watching a 'Batman Thing' whatever that may be, I would want Kevin Conroy as Batman. Whether it's the Arkham games, the animated movies, the series, whatever. He did a better job with the character. Does it matter if he never wore the suit? No.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
I get what you're saying but I don't agree. If I'm watching a 'Batman Thing' whatever that may be, I would want Kevin Conroy as Batman. Whether it's the Arkham games, the animated movies, the series, whatever. He did a better job with the character. Does it matter if he never wore the suit? No.
Conroy's voice implies a stoic, imposing figure. In real life Conroy is a super thin unimposing man. Batman is a huge dude in the comics. Powerhouse, body builder, Chris Hemsworth or Henry Cavil body type. I'm of the mind people are not interchangeable. Pee Wee Herman can't be Batman for example. There is no "if its done good well enough".
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Conroy's voice implies a stoic, imposing figure. In real life Conroy is a super thin unimposing man. Batman is a huge dude in the comics. Powerhouse, body builder, Chris Hemsworth or Henry Cavil body type. I'm of the mind people are not interchangeable. Pee Wee Herman can't be Batman for example. There is no "if its done good well enough".
Just wear a big bat suit. Have him stand on a box. If cinema can convince the world Tom Cruise is normal sized it can make anybody into the Batman.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I absolutely enjoyed all of Kevin Conroy's work with one of my favorite characters of all time. Mr. Conroy's work will always stand out in the history of the Batman mythos. Rest in Peace Kevin Conroy. Thank you.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Check out his reel from his early days:

Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Check out his acting reel from his early days: