Andor (2022)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

New Star Wars thing derived from the Only Good Modern Star Wars thing, namely Rogue One. First three episodes were released in a big clump, and it made sense to do it that way, all felt like a little origin movie. Lot of cool stuff in there, especially the look at the industrial and corporate sides of the Empire. Was fun seeing the company rentacops who are literally the guys who couldn't cut it in Stormtrooper school. Old, fat, corrupt, fragile, lazy, almost makes you appreciate the lads in the armour.

Am kind of into the idea of a Star Wars James Bond. It's a shame we're getting this story as a backfill on a character whose fate is already sealed.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bumping this thread on the off chance anybody has cast an eye over the show yet. Episode four was also good.

So far it is showing its huge Rogue One energy. We're getting a look behind the curtain at the bickering Imperials and the misery people endure under their control, however distant it may seem. The cast is great, even things like meetings and briefings hold so much tension as the stakes start to become clear. The rebels, or at least these proto-rebels, are well meaning but hard-nosed, traumatised, desperate people. It's a far cry from the Jedis and the Baby Yodas and the X-Wings.

Really liking it, it's not very Star Wars-y as we've been used to recently, but at the same time it's very, very Star Wars in the classic sense. Just it's Star Wars for people who saw the first movies at the cinema and now want something that treats them like an adult.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I really like the look and feel of the show. The worlds look rich and full of detail and populated by interesting characters. The acting all round has been solid and the effects unobtrusively good. The plotline though - I feel like the true direction of Cass hasn't emerged yet and I wonder how its going to blow wide open.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
1 year ago
I really like the look and feel of the show. The worlds look rich and full of detail and populated by interesting characters. The acting all round has been solid and the effects unobtrusively good. The plotline though - I feel like the true direction of Cass hasn't emerged yet and I wonder how its going to blow wide open.
The thing with Cass is we know where his endpoint is, the show will in theory, after however many seasons, put him in place to take on the Deathstar mission. So with that in mind what has to happen is he has to prove himself and fully embrace the cause of the Rebellion. So how he goes about that will be interesting. I think the voice actor for his big droid pal is in the series.

For me though the hook is the growth of the Rebellion itself. I mean right now it's Mon Mothma and a cool spy guy and some scrunty guerillas. Within the next few years it has to become a military capable of fighting a battle at Scarif.

I'm particularly interested in the trajectory of the disgraced company officer. I have no idea where his character is going. Bounty hunter? Imperial army? Face turn to the Rebellion? Rare to see interesting characters who could become anything.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
I'm particularly interested in the trajectory of the disgraced company officer. I have no idea where his character is going. Bounty hunter? Imperial army? Face turn to the Rebellion? Rare to see interesting characters who could become anything.
Ah, do you mean the competent Arnold Rimmer? If so, yeah - he's got Imperial officer written all over him - makes me wonder why he's not already managed to get in. The corporate lot do seem to have that sense of being private Imperial Contractors.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah that's the guy. I don't think he goes up in the world after this. He might go sideways into the empire if the intel droogs try to make use of him, but the thing is, he wasn't competent. He ignored wiser heads and got men killed and ships lost. Vader force chokes five guys like him a day.

I think he's had this complete reversal of fortune, and he's very much in-play for any faction. Maybe he becomes an imperial mole. Or maybe he is outraged at how he has been treated and becomes a rebel.

Very interesting character either way.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I just can't be bothered to care about Andor? :/ even with the mostly positive reception I find myself with no drive whatsoever to watch it.

For starters. I really don't like Rogue One, thought it was pretty basic, not really a good star wars movie, not really a good war movie with lackluster characters... and now they've made a whole series about one of them and all I can feel is to shrug. I don't care about Andor. We know where he has to wind up... as an unlikable rebel murdering other rebels who will be convinced to 'hope' again immediately before dying immediately before Darth Vader steals his films climax in an unnecessary extra scene. Don't care, and Disney putting everything into THIS show, really putting effort into making it good... just pisses me off more cause of how little effort they've put into the Star Wars properties they SHOULD be putting effort in.

It's a REALLY strange position Disney's put me in with this one idk?
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
I just can't be bothered to care about Andor? :/ even with the mostly positive reception I find myself with no drive whatsoever to watch it.

For starters. I really don't like Rogue One, thought it was pretty basic, not really a good star wars movie, not really a good war movie with lackluster characters... and now they've made a whole series about one of them and all I can feel is to shrug. I don't care about Andor. We know where he has to wind up... as an unlikable rebel murdering other rebels who will be convinced to 'hope' again immediately before dying immediately before Darth Vader steals his films climax in an unnecessary extra scene. Don't care, and Disney putting everything into THIS show, really putting effort into making it good... just pisses me off more cause of how little effort they've put into the Star Wars properties they SHOULD be putting effort in.

It's a REALLY strange position Disney's put me in with this one idk?
Welp, if you didn't like Rogue One you're probably out of luck with this one. It's got that dry British war movie vibe going on again, except this time it's more of a dry British spy vibe, shades of a Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Lot of bleakness, bleak locations, bleak people, lot of British actors you remember seeing in something else, and under it all this sort of sense that you don't know who is who and what they are doing. Because for now we really don't.

I'm into it because Rogue One is my favourite Star War since Empire, which is a very, very long time. Mileage will vary though.

It's the risk any show takes when it tries to appeal in a particular direction, it's going to lose fans elsewhere. With Disney set on releasing one billion new shows for this thing I'm sure there'll be something for everybody.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Rogue One reminds me of that Half Life add on where you played the security guard from the original version just from his point of view.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Rogue One reminds me of that Half Life add on where you played the security guard from the original version just from his point of view.
I can definitely see that.

My favourite part of it is the imperial careerist bickering. The fawning and the attempts to gain favour. All ending in disaster even as it turns out the weapon works.

Not enough recent Star Wars has gone the extra mile to remind the audience why the Empire are bad. They are not bad because they blow up planets, they blow up planets because they are a bunch of pricks, and that's why they're bad.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bit of a 'when are they getting to the fireworks factory' vibe about this episode, but some nice character work and tension building. Given that literally everybody except Andor and Mon Mothma could die in this series there's quite a lot of tension to play with. Plus it's 12 episodes so they can play it slow and still get two or three more big set piece jobs in there.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Welp, that was was twelve episodes of brilliance. Best sustained chunk of Star Wars since the original trilogy. Awesome.