Rippaverse Comics

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Rippaverse Comics

Post by Mr. X »

https://rippaverse.com/

YoungRippa59 has his crowd funded offering out.
https://rippaverse.com/product/isom-1-campaign/
Take a look at that contribution. $1,215,062.89 Comics are dead? Hardly.

Do it right and people will buy stuff.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1268
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 269 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by sugarcoater »

Exactly right. Good plot and quality characters work every time in any field of storytelling.
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3521
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by shevek »

Shouldn't this be in the comics subforum? There's no Rippaverse TV show or movie yet that I'm aware of, though I wouldn't be surprised if Eric July will be working on it someday.

Anyway, if superheroine fans want to support the Isom #1 launch, there is a special cover which features what I believe is the only solo superheroine in the series: Yaira, who seems to be the Wonder Woman analogue in this universe. (Isom definitely seems to be the Superman analogue...he's on a rural farm...his name is strikingly similar to Milestone's Superman analogue 'Icon', etc.). Hopefully these two have a torrid romance.
YAIRA-PACK.jpg
YAIRA-PACK.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 492 times
User avatar
Damselbinder
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: 8 years ago
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by Damselbinder »

Oh boy I really do not like the art on that cover. The inking looks really weird - especially on the faces. The posing is also a bit awkward. It doesn't look like two people fighting, it looks like someone posing action figures.

They must be doing something right to earn all that money, I guess. Maybe it's not a representative sample, idk.
A full list of my stories can be found here, with summaries to boot: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32027
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by Mr. X »

shevek wrote: 2 months ago Shouldn't this be in the comics subforum? There's no Rippaverse TV show or movie yet that I'm aware of, though I wouldn't be surprised if Eric July will be working on it someday.
That says "Superheroine Comics".
User avatar
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1333
Joined: 12 years ago
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by theScribbler »

Damselbinder wrote: 2 months ago

They must be doing something right to earn all that money, I guess.
Claims to earning all that money I would say. My guess is the numbers are bogus. But I'll reserve some judgment for when well known reliable respected news outlets confirm, or don't.

1.5 million+ in about a week by a hardly known person and hardly known campaign. I don't think so.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by Mr. X »

theScribbler wrote: 2 months ago Claims to earning all that money I would say. My guess is the numbers are bogus. But I'll reserve some judgment for when well known reliable respected news outlets confirm, or don't.

1.5 million+ in about a week by a hardly known person and hardly known campaign. I don't think so.
He may not be known to you but he is known.

As for the totals, I've seen other efforts result in $300k plus etc from other producers and their projects. Schiver I believe had high numbers too for Cyberfrog.

Supposedly he already paid for the artwork and these are just preorders. I'm interested on how he divides this with the artists or did they just get a flat fee. I don't see how he can monkey with the numbers.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1268
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 269 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by sugarcoater »

Does the money claimed to have been earned matter in the context of analyzing the product? If it’s a good product, it should sell to an extent to keep the product going. If not, it won’t. Why get caught up on that detail? I’m more interested in what the plot is like. And Damsel has a fair point with that one image of the two characters in combat—there’s a lack of flow or action to it. As he said, it’s like the two are in a sort of still frame pose than in the midst of punching.
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by Mr. X »

sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Does the money claimed to have been earned matter in the context of analyzing the product? If it’s a good product, it should sell to an extent to keep the product going. If not, it won’t. Why get caught up on that detail? I’m more interested in what the plot is like. And Damsel has a fair point with that one image of the two characters in combat—there’s a lack of flow or action to it. As he said, it’s like the two are in a sort of still frame pose than in the midst of punching.
Reminds me of my old drawing days before I got my arms broken where I sometimes used poser to output the skeleton then traced to make the final product. Had that static, family photo feel to it.
User avatar
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1333
Joined: 12 years ago
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by theScribbler »

Mr. X wrote: 2 months ago
theScribbler wrote: 2 months ago Claims to earning all that money I would say. My guess is the numbers are bogus. But I'll reserve some judgment for when well known reliable respected news outlets confirm, or don't.

1.5 million+ in about a week by a hardly known person and hardly known campaign. I don't think so.
He may not be known to you but he is known.

As for the totals, I've seen other efforts result in $300k plus etc from other producers and their projects. Schiver I believe had high numbers too for Cyberfrog.

Supposedly he already paid for the artwork and these are just preorders. I'm interested on how he divides this with the artists or did they just get a flat fee. I don't see how he can monkey with the numbers.
It's beyond easy for him to lie about the numbers. The campaign isn't on kickstarter or indiegogo or patreon, the campaign is on his site that he controls. He can put any numbers he wants on his sites pages.

Were any of those $300k plus crowdfunding efforts you've seen also not using kickstarter indiegogo or similar crowdfunding site, and were run by the producers on their own site 100% under their control?

Anyway, I'm curious what well regarded journalism will report (not the barely also rans I get when googling today so far). Might alter my view. Right now, I think ISOM = I Shit On Morons, and Rippaverse self-run campaign (of about a week) released numbers is Bogusverse, but it's early yet. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong or inbetween.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1268
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 269 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by sugarcoater »

Mr. X wrote: 2 months ago
sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Does the money claimed to have been earned matter in the context of analyzing the product? If it’s a good product, it should sell to an extent to keep the product going. If not, it won’t. Why get caught up on that detail? I’m more interested in what the plot is like. And Damsel has a fair point with that one image of the two characters in combat—there’s a lack of flow or action to it. As he said, it’s like the two are in a sort of still frame pose than in the midst of punching.
Reminds me of my old drawing days before I got my arms broken where I sometimes used poser to output the skeleton then traced to make the final product. Had that static, family photo feel to it.
That and proportionality were always issues with my art in my drawing days. I’ll acknowledge that the art is way beyond my abilities and it’s really good. Didn’t mean to suggest I could come close to doing that good a job.
User avatar
dajinx1
Producer
Producer
Posts: 552
Joined: 17 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 26 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by dajinx1 »

I'm looking forward to checking this out!
User avatar
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 4632
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 431 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by Mr. X »

sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago
Mr. X wrote: 2 months ago
sugarcoater wrote: 2 months ago Does the money claimed to have been earned matter in the context of analyzing the product? If it’s a good product, it should sell to an extent to keep the product going. If not, it won’t. Why get caught up on that detail? I’m more interested in what the plot is like. And Damsel has a fair point with that one image of the two characters in combat—there’s a lack of flow or action to it. As he said, it’s like the two are in a sort of still frame pose than in the midst of punching.
Reminds me of my old drawing days before I got my arms broken where I sometimes used poser to output the skeleton then traced to make the final product. Had that static, family photo feel to it.
That and proportionality were always issues with my art in my drawing days. I’ll acknowledge that the art is way beyond my abilities and it’s really good. Didn’t mean to suggest I could come close to doing that good a job.
Oh yeah that was my other issue - symmetry. Could never get the left to look like the right. everything slanted to one side. I do agree in that pic its technically well done it just has low energy.

But given the crap DC and Marvel put out, this is way better.
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3521
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by shevek »

theScribbler wrote: 2 months ago 1.5 million+ in about a week by a hardly known person and hardly known campaign. I don't think so.
The way he did it was by uniting several audiences which overlap.

Eric's own channel has 480K subscribers.

Nerdrotic (where Eric guests frequently on Friday Night Tights, so all their viewers know who he is) has 491K subscribers.

Comic Artist Pro Secrets (which has been promoting Eric's campaign for a week, and has brought him on as guest many times in the past, so all their viewers know him) has 146K subscribers.

And finally, The Blaze (where Eric does occasional commentary videos about cryptocurrency and libertarianism) has 1.5 million subs.

Currently, Eric's at a bit over $1.6 million gleaned from over 18,000 customers.

Given the above numbers, such a phenomenon is certainly very possible.
User avatar
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1268
Joined: 14 years ago
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 269 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by sugarcoater »

I was reading over the Rippaverse "code of ethics", sounds a bit grandiose for a comic book series, but I appreciate this aspect of their plan (should they last a decade or more) and I wish Marvel and DC had this ethos in mind decades ago:

CANON & CONTINUITY
....If Retcons are to exist, they will only be used in the classic sense of introducing new information. We want every book that you buy to always matter. Those stories HAPPENED. There will be no lazy time travel to change histories or events. There will be no cheap multiverses that have altered versions of the same character. If you own a book, you own a part of the history and it’s our mission to keep it this way.

This concept will remain true regardless of the medium. Should the characters appear in officialized animation or live action, the depictions need to be as accurate to the characters as realistically possible. Your favorite characters will always be recognizable.
User avatar
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1333
Joined: 12 years ago
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by theScribbler »

sugarcoater wrote: 3 weeks ago
CANON & CONTINUITY
....If Retcons are to exist, they will only be used in the classic sense of introducing new information. ...
Retcons? When is the 1st comic going to exist?
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
User avatar
shevek
Producer
Producer
Posts: 3521
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 223 times
United States of America

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by shevek »

theScribbler wrote: 1 week ago
sugarcoater wrote: 3 weeks ago
CANON & CONTINUITY
....If Retcons are to exist, they will only be used in the classic sense of introducing new information. ...
Retcons? When is the 1st comic going to exist?
He's had the books (at least he's had 3000+ copies of Cover B - see clips below) physically in his hands for 3 weeks, and has also shown
other various perks on camera, like the posters and cards.

The campaign has 3 days left as of today. I would imagine fulfillment will start almost immediately after that.

User avatar
HeroPerilFanatic
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 year ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Mexico

Re: Rippaverse Comics

Post by HeroPerilFanatic »

I can’t wait ! I managed to sneak in last minute and ordered a cover C. The code of ethic about continuity mattering has me excited!

I wish DC Comics would have taken that same approach to their New 52 relaunch or during Rebirth which was so much better.

DC Comics at the moment is in a terrible state. Full of woke activists who are writing characters they have no love for. Rippaverse will definitely be a breath of fresh air. That Yaira character has me excited.
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests