RIP Queen Elizabeth

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.foxnews.com/world/queen-eli ... ch-dead-96

This did happen yesterday.

Whatever you think on the British Monarchy, she was a significant historical figure, who served in WW2.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like Wales got a new prince and princess.

It was very sad news. She was around for so many life changing events. The last of the Elizabethan era.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes she will be very much missed. I am noting a lack of quality in leadership these days and so to have lost Elizabeth too is a blow. I myself am for the monarchy, but having only ever lived under Queen Elizabeth II I am wary of giving the system a free pass, King Charles III has much to live up to in whatever time he has to reign. On the other hand, observing what may come of choosing a President I'd rather put my faith in a system designed to raise, educate and cultivate a solid constitutional safety valve than the best 50/50 chance choice of the people LOL.

Long live the King!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Damselbinder

As ridiculous as I find the fact that I am now the subject of a king in the year 2022, on a personal level I suppose I always quite liked the Queen. At the very least, the loss of someone who's been a sort of living Uncle Sam, a personal symbol for an entire nation, is worthy of response.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I just hope they bury her on a weekday so I get a day off
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
I just hope they bury her on a weekday so I get a day off
I hear that
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

She was a great statesman and infinitely better than the piece of shit PM we just got rid of and the thick as shit PM we now have. They keep making a big thing of "in her 70 years on the throne she was served by 15 Prime ministers ' which sounds impressive until you realise a 6 year old has seen 4 different ones.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
She was a great statesman and infinitely better than the piece of shit PM we just got rid of and the thick as shit PM we now have. They keep making a big thing of "in her 70 years on the throne she was served by 15 Prime ministers ' which sounds impressive until you realise a 6 year old has seen 4 different ones.
You should be thankful compared to what the U.S has right now. Also a few years ago; if Labor won a majority you could have the racist Jeremy Corbyn
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I hadn't intended to derail this as my remarks were more about the personal traits and abilities than their party.

So back to the Queen. Funeral is on a Monday I've heard, so a result ! Bank Holiday in the UK, plus a new investiture next year for PoW and hopefully another day for the coronation might generate another 2 days off.

God save the king! (and if he doesn't last long God , just make sure he's buried on a week day like her Maj, gawd bless 'er)

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the more interesting headlines that keeps popping up:

Queen Elizabeth's Death: Live Updates.

...err...day 3, still dead. God Save The Queen
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
You should be thankful compared to what the U.S has right now. Also a few years ago; if Labor won a majority you could have the racist Jeremy Corbyn
instead we got the racist american Alexander de Pfiffle who goes by the name Boris Johnson and who has merrily packed the house of lords (now 880 versus the 660 elected commons) with cronies and kremlin supporters all while presiding over the biggest erosion of freedom and collapse on british standards of living inlcuding, greenlighting raw sewage flooding onto every beach because how would a classics graduate know that brexit would lead to water treatment chemical shortages

unlikely Corbyn would have much if any better but at least he'd shove some cash towards the poors instead of the newly mintes Evgeny Alexandrovich Lebedev, Baron Lebedev who derives his wealth from his father, Alexander Lebedev, a Russian oligarch and former KGB officer.

This is what happens when you let English run a country unsupervised
(*notes continued flag favouritism prevelant on the board!)
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
So back to the Queen. Funeral is on a Monday I've heard, so a result ! Bank Holiday in the UK, plus a new investiture next year for PoW and hopefully another day for the coronation might generate another 2 days off.

God save the king! (and if he doesn't last long God , just make sure he's buried on a week day like her Maj, gawd bless 'er)
circling back from depressing rants about the abysmal recent choice of red conservative or blue conservative in UK elections

for a true taste of the monarchy you can't go wrong with Channel 4's The Windsors, a meticulousy researched fly on the wall documentary about the recent history of the House of Saxecoburg von Gotha (or windsor as they suddenly started calling themselves in 1914 for completely unknown reasons - jeebus when you write it down the UK does sound absolutely mental)

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Never been a monarchist, but old Liz certainly put in the hours, so she deserves respect for her commitment. I can't see the monarchy surviving with the subsequent generations of twats and parasites.

Plus Andrew's a nonce.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
1 year ago
Never been a monarchist, but old Liz certainly put in the hours, so she deserves respect for her commitment. I can't see the monarchy surviving with the subsequent generations of twats and parasites.

Plus Andrew's a nonce.
I mean, people say she put in the hours, which is probably true on balance, but to be fair she had job where she had to ask people if she was on holiday or working

"I'm in Kenya today are on holiday or shooting things, oh, someone is giving me a traditional set of masks, work then"
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There was a lot of waving too. That can make your arm ache a little bit after a while.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

I rather like this picture of the queen that has been making the rounds:
QEII.jpg
QEII.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
She had the "Aardman Animation" smile.

But seriously, I think the secret to her success was that nobody respected her role more seriously than she did.

And honestly, I wonder if we'll ever see her like again.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
1 year ago

Plus Andrew's a nonce.
I mean, people say she put in the hours, which is probably true on balance, but to be fair she had job where she had to ask people if she was on holiday or working

"I'm in Kenya today are on holiday or shooting things, oh, someone is giving me a traditional set of masks, work then"
I think that is going to be my new greeting to people. Here we say vacation but I actually like holiday better.
Have you been on holiday or have you been working?
I'll have to practice...
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

There does seem to be a whole heap of republican sentiment in this thread - alongside the classic misunderstanding of the soft power a constitutional monarchy provides, and the huge benefits of having the egos of politicans separated from the head of state.

Said soft power exemplified by Vladmir Putin's statement on the Queen's death - we are literally in a cold war with Russia, the monarch is able to maintain a political relationship in spite of the government of the day.

Trump would be case in point for the ego check paradigm - potentially might have been a good leader, if he had a separate head of state to answer to and keep the stonking ego in check.

Clearly, royal power in the UK as the head of state is robustly checked - this is entirely by design, the setup of the British constitutional monarchy is carefully designed and calibrated. Not happenstance as some here appear to presume.

Will Charles manage to check the ego he displayed as the Prince of Wales, and maintain private consult-only with the governments in power during his reign? Only time will tell - but the continued existence of the monarchy certainly relies upon it.

RIP Elizabeth the Great.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

swampy170 wrote:
1 year ago
There does seem to be a whole heap of republican sentiment in this thread - alongside the classic misunderstanding of the soft power a constitutional monarchy provides, and the huge benefits of having the egos of politicans separated from the head of state.

Said soft power exemplified by Vladmir Putin's statement on the Queen's death - we are literally in a cold war with Russia, the monarch is able to maintain a political relationship in spite of the government of the day.

Trump would be case in point for the ego check paradigm - potentially might have been a good leader, if he had a separate head of state to answer to and keep the stonking ego in check.

Clearly, royal power in the UK as the head of state is robustly checked - this is entirely by design, the setup of the British constitutional monarchy is carefully designed and calibrated. Not happenstance as some here appear to presume.

Will Charles manage to check the ego he displayed as the Prince of Wales, and maintain private consult-only with the governments in power during his reign? Only time will tell - but the continued existence of the monarchy certainly relies upon it.

RIP Elizabeth the Great.
In could argue on that foolish and gratuitous Trump point for hours, but there is a no politics rule on here, so save it for Facebook pal.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
the setup of the British constitutional monarchy is carefully designed and calibrated. Not happenstance as some here appear to presume.
no it's not

rich land owners in the 1600s got pissy about taxes and lopped off the kings head. being the only republic in europe however was not a winning strategy with France and Spain next door ruled by kings who didn't fancy their subjects getting ideas. On top of which, the lord protector decided he liked absolutely power once he got it.

a puzzler indeed so, they shopped around to see who might be good at being controlled and low and behold a nice dutch couple promptly invaded with a few thousand battle hardened mercenaries and an "I'll take that" card freshly written

cue a lot of embarassed and worried rich politicians looking quite sheepish, a quick word with the history book guys and a hasty "these folks were totally invited to become the new king and queen alright!"

since which there has been a vague understanding that the elected house (recently expanded to anyone not filthy stinking rich with tons of land, circa 1919 - yes most UK men finally got the vote at the same time women finally got the vote) sets the agenda and the crown tries not to be too batshit insane, that said, a couple of wars have distracted everyone and the first post empire monarch was realtively easy going.

let's see what happens when we have a nit picker who has been told he's clever because honestly you can't really tell the first in line to the throne he's think and his ideas make no sense, or a bored arsehat who can't sit down because he's been brutally pegged senseless by his mistresses.

and to top all that off, if Canada obertakes the UK in population you have to wonder if they shouldn't throw up a more permanent palace there and basically spend most of the time there... which I imagine would go down with the chronic flag shagging, little Englander types about as well as a cold bucket of sick but would be utterly hilarious
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Lurkndog wrote:
1 year ago
I rather like this picture of the queen that has been making the rounds:

QEII.jpg

She had the "Aardman Animation" smile.

But seriously, I think the secret to her success was that nobody respected her role more seriously than she did.

And honestly, I wonder if we'll ever see her like again.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

In WWII, everyone could not wait to enlist even FDR's sons flew missions. RIP Queen Elizabeth.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
the setup of the British constitutional monarchy is carefully designed and calibrated. Not happenstance as some here appear to presume.
no it's not

rich land owners in the 1600s got pissy about taxes and lopped off the kings head. being the only republic in europe however was not a winning strategy with France and Spain next door ruled by kings who didn't fancy their subjects getting ideas. On top of which, the lord protector decided he liked absolutely power once he got it.

a puzzler indeed so, they shopped around to see who might be good at being controlled and low and behold a nice dutch couple promptly invaded with a few thousand battle hardened mercenaries and an "I'll take that" card freshly written

cue a lot of embarassed and worried rich politicians looking quite sheepish, a quick word with the history book guys and a hasty "these folks were totally invited to become the new king and queen alright!"

since which there has been a vague understanding that the elected house (recently expanded to anyone not filthy stinking rich with tons of land, circa 1919 - yes most UK men finally got the vote at the same time women finally got the vote) sets the agenda and the crown tries not to be too batshit insane, that said, a couple of wars have distracted everyone and the first post empire monarch was realtively easy going.

let's see what happens when we have a nit picker who has been told he's clever because honestly you can't really tell the first in line to the throne he's think and his ideas make no sense, or a bored arsehat who can't sit down because he's been brutally pegged senseless by his mistresses.

and to top all that off, if Canada obertakes the UK in population you have to wonder if they shouldn't throw up a more permanent palace there and basically spend most of the time there... which I imagine would go down with the chronic flag shagging, little Englander types about as well as a cold bucket of sick but would be utterly hilarious
That is weird and bizarre. I did not post that little passage you just quoted from me, I never posted that content. I am not particularly knowledgeable about the particulars about the British monarchy, I have no idea how that quote got in there under my handle. How did that little passage get attributed to me? I don't have a dog in that fight. I have never used the word happenstance once in my entire life LOL! While I am at it, my condolences to my British friends on here for the passing of their Queen.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
no it's not

Just a note here...
Bushwackerbob is quoted in this thread yet his quote does not appear anywhere in the thread so unless it got deleted, I have to say lionbadger's response is "moot."
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
1 year ago
lionbadger wrote:
1 year ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago
no it's not

Just a note here...
Bushwackerbob is quoted in this thread yet his quote does not appear anywhere in the thread so unless it got deleted, I have to say lionbadger's response is "moot."
The one who wrote "the setup of the British constitutional monarchy is carefully designed and calibrated. Not happenstance as some here appear to presume." it was not bushwackerbob, it was written by swampy170. This is not weird and bizarre, it is simply a lack of attention. The confusion stems from bushwackerbob quoting swampy170.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
1 year ago

That is weird and bizarre.
My fault. I think I've quoted your quote, but I usually try to edit down what I'm quoted so as to no get twenty nest boxes etc. Should be Swampy not you I'm quoting. Board is not broken on this.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

My apologies to all my UK friends but Wessex sounds like a made up place, like they just threw a consonant in front of Essex.
Well, We'd love to make you countess but I'm afraid we've run out of counties.. Essex? Taken? Ok then how about.............Wessex
Damselbinder

MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
My apologies to all my UK friends but Wessex sounds like a made up place, like they just threw a consonant in front of Essex.
Well, We'd love to make you countess but I'm afraid we've run out of counties.. Essex? Taken? Ok then how about.............Wessex
It's not that complicated. Essex in the East. Sussex in the South. Wessex in the West.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
It's not that complicated. Essex in the East. Sussex in the South. Wessex in the West.
And Nossex in the North? :giggle:
Damselbinder

Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, that's where Tallyho summers.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Somebody better light a candle with that burn.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
Summers, winters and autumn's.

You are never alone as long as you got a right hand (and you are right handed!). And I have and am! Result!

The 'sex' part of Essex etc referred to the Saxons ( derived from Seax, the weapon they used . So you had the East Seaxons, West Seaxons South Seaxons which became Essex, Wessex and Sussex. There were no North Saxons as such though there are areas of East Anglia, Norfolk and Suffolk (literally the North Folk (people) and South Folk).
But I live in Wales, Land of Song and hangovers.

This is what it is to be Welsh -

He uses the phrase 'Yma o hyd' which is Welsh for ' We're still here' and bach (like the composers) which just means little . Bois bach ( little boys) is just a collective 'lads' sort of phrase in Welsh.
Watch that clip and tell me you aren't inspired.

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago

Watch that clip and tell me you aren't inspired.
I've watched that clip, and I tell you I aren't inspired.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

:giggle: "I aren't inspired?"
You are already talking like a Welshman and you don't even realise it! :giggle:

It's the Michael Sheen effect

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
:giggle: "I aren't inspired?"
You are already talking like a Welshman and you don't even realise it! :giggle:

It's the Michael Sheen effect
...I was trying to match the exact way you'd phrased it for comic effect.

Like this.

And now that I've had to explain it we both look like dunces. I hope you're happy.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Us Welsh are always happy!