What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

For those interested in starting custom videos or joining in with other who are creating new projects, this is the home base at which to gather.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

This probably has been covered, but I couldn't find it, so maybe it's been long enough to ask again anyway. There are fortunately many producers to choose from nowadays when you are seeking to have a custom video made. I wonder what the biggest factor is that determines which producer you use.

I'd like to skip over basic things like whether or not the producer even does the sort of content you are looking for, since obviously it's not up to you whether the producer will accept your script content. But when you have a script (or at least a solid script idea) ready, and you can think of several producers that you are pretty confident would all entertain the script proposal, what's the main factor that determines which one you send it to? Or if you send it to several producers, what's the main factor that determines which one you go with, of those that respond to you?

Some options that come to mind:

-The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video
-You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off
-You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer
-You like the costumes the producer has available
-The producer is capable of really high production values
-The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography
-The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details
-The producer promises a fast turnaround time
-The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right)
-You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence

Lots of other factors, I'm sure, and I'm guessing it's often a combination of things that drive the selection of a producer. But if you had to prioritize and say the factor that MOST influences your decision to go with a particular producer, what would it be?
User avatar
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1766
Joined: 5 years ago
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by the123 »

dd
Last edited by the123 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class
Posts: 229
Joined: 6 years ago
Been thanked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by heroinehunter »

The following are my factors:
--The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video: I'm very particular about the model I want in my custom. She has to look like the character.
-You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off: If you enjoy their work and it inspires you to get a custom, then they are more than likely the ones to go to at first.
-You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer : not really, could be producer's 'friends' or someone 'unstable'.
-You like the costumes the producer has available : I want a certain character for my custom, so a good costume and nothing cheap is a factor.
-The producer is capable of really high production values : a customer does want their money's worth. But, in honesty, this is where you get into the world of collaboration a little bit.
-The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography : HATE FIGHT VIDEOS!! WHY ARE YOU PAYING GOOD $ FOR THAT BORING STUFF??
-The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details : This is the true test or challenge - First, the producer has to respond to you (some of my inquires went to spam on one or two people, they are busy which is understandable, think you are not serious, etc). Second, the price tag of the custom is usually way high (due to theft on sites). Third, want to change the model, change the script, change nearly everything so it's not even yours anymore (for example: on my last custom the producer wanted to use a bullwhip for aoh flogging, I insisted on flogger. Wanted to be chained and stretched on a comfy table, I insisted floor to parody a classic scene. *sigh*).
-The producer promises a fast turnaround time : take your time and get it right in one shot.
-The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right) : YES!!!! Again, not paying $2500-3000 just to start. You're crazy. It doesn't cost that much no matter what you say (come on! The endless fight videos suck guys and gals)
-You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence : not really a factor,but a friendly personality does help.

I have only used one producer. The only disappointment was the aoh flogging in the second custom - I just don't think the model/producer wanted to do it so it wasn't done as good as the first. Also, the constant attempts to change the specific things I wanted (see above). It was getting to a point where the custom was not the one I envisioned, and nearly pulled out of doing it at the last minute. Producers - please do as the customer asks....
User avatar
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by TIEnTEEZ »

Dunno if there is a single "biggest" factor. I've experimented with a lot of different scripts, models, and producers.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video
Focusing on one specific model has almost never worked out well for me. Unless I happen to get really lucky and I have a script ready to go just as a particular model is available, it's just not worth the trouble of focusing on ONE particular must-have model.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off
This is a big plus, yes. I like bondage and forced O and if a producer has no experience with those kinds of videos or tends to focus very heavily on some other factors (like fighting videos, which don't interest me), that will strong influence my decision.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer
This WOULD be great, except it's nearly impossible to get information from other customers. Even here on this forum, people rarely discuss customs or producers and their experiences. And when they do, I often find their recommendations are not very compelling because they might like that particular producer because of other factors on this list that aren't as important to me. There's a real shortage of customer reviews for this stuff... which I why I post recommendations a lot. :-P
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You like the costumes the producer has available
This one is kinda tricky. I would never order a video just because the producer has a particular costume I like. Worst-case scenario if I want a particular costume, I will find a producer I want for other reasons and then ask them to get it, even if it costs more.

On the other hand, having a stock or the ability to create costumes is always a plus. Cali Logan has improvised some really great costumes for me based on drawings and mockups I have made. They are not super-high-quality, but they get the job done and she's doesn't charge too much. :)
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer is capable of really high production values
To my mind, there aren't that many studios that even offer this. The only one I can think of that does REALLY serious production values is Lucia Films. I ordered a custom from them and it's amazing! But it's the only one I ever bought with really high production values and it was hella expensive, so I'm not sure I would do it again. Don't get me wrong, it was worth it, but I can't afford to do that too often.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography
I don't like fight videos, so this is not a thing for me.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details
This one right here could be the winner. A producer who asks questions, wants clarification, and wants to discuss the video before making it is a HUGE plus. This signifies that they want to get it right and give you what you want, and there's no substitute for that. Pretty much all the best customs I have purchased have this in common - well.. most of 'em.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer promises a fast turnaround time
I would rather have it done well than fast, so this is not an issue. In fact, if they promise to do it too fast, it's a red flag that they aren't going to do a very good job.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right)
This is another tricky one. I've gotten great videos at low prices (Cali Logan) and I've gotten great videos that were expensive (Lucia Films) and everywhere in between. Most of the time, it's not a question of the actual price but of what you actually GET for that price. I will pay more for stuff that's important to me, and that varies from video to video.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence
This one can be a trap. There's a big post here on the forums about my experience with Ashley Graham that I will not rehash here. But she used to frequent this board and she would lambast other producers for ripping people off or doing poor quality work and a host of other stuff. Then she took my money and disappeared for 4 years.

I guess most of the time, social media presence CAN be a good indicator of a producer's trustworthiness, but not always.


Which brings me to my final point... one other factor that you didn't list here is trustworthiness. This goes back to hearing reviews, experiences and recommendations from other customers. If I see ONE person post about how a producer didn't respond to an e-mail or took their money or screwed up their video and didn't make it right, I will think long and hard about doing business with that producer.
User avatar
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1766
Joined: 5 years ago
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by the123 »

dd
Last edited by the123 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

Wow, no love for fight videos! LOL

Lots of good points made, though. I also think customer reviews/endorsements are a mixed bag--there aren't that many producer reviews that are provided with enough detail to really know if the other customer had a good (or bad) experience because of things that would matter most to ME, since my priorities might be totally different from theirs. I do appreciate the reviews you've posted, TIEnTEEZ, but I also can see why not everybody wants to name names, especially if they have criticism, since it can unintentionally come across as trashing the producer and trying to harm their business, when maybe they're totally great for someone else's stuff. I think for this reason it seems easier or more comfortable for some people to only write positive reviews, which may still be totally honest reviews, but it just means you're only hearing from the happy fans and you don't know how many unhappy customers just aren't saying anything. So it's just hard to know how to weigh most of the customer reviews out there.

Seems like we're in general agreement that the producer's response to the initial inquiry is often a major factor in deciding whether or not to work with them. I don't want the producer to treat my script like a widget or automation--input script length, estimated video length, number of performers, degree of nudity or explicit content, names of performers, and output price with no other questions asked and no other comments made. That makes me worry that they don't really care about the details and also may not really be thinking through whether they can actually pull off what I'm asking for but are just going to give it a try and whatever happens happens, which is fine for them since they're getting paid in full up front. I actually consider it a plus when a producer bothers to tell me that this or that in the script is going to be a challenge and explains why, and offers workarounds or alternatives and lets me decide which way I want to address it. That says volumes to me about their level of concern with ME actually liking the product. And that trustworthiness meter also shoots way up because I see that they'd rather tell me potential problems up front and risk losing the project if we can't agree on a solution, as opposed to just shining me on delivering a product that isn't what I requested. And even if the producer doesn't have any red flags to raise, just having them briefly repeat back to me what they're seeing from the script as the key features gives me an opportunity to see if they really "get" what I'm asking for, or if I need to better clarify something. If the producer just responds with a naked quote and nothing else, it's impossible to tell if they understood a single word I said. I realize it takes time for producers to write back and forth with potential clients (some of whom may disappear on the producer without warning or explanation), but I just find it to be a huge gamble to go with a producer who will hardly correspond at all beyond just the quote. There's gotta be a balance in there, where I do my part to convey that I'm a serious customer who's not just trying to waste their time, but they also do their part to convey that they're serious about wanting to produce something that I will truly like and aren't just going to take my money and do their own thing with the shoot (which has happened).
arkane
Sargeant
Sargeant
Posts: 111
Joined: 10 years ago
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by arkane »

WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video
-You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off
-You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer
-You like the costumes the producer has available
-The producer is capable of really high production values
-The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography
-The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details
-The producer promises a fast turnaround time
-The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right)
-You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence

Lots of other factors, I'm sure, and I'm guessing it's often a combination of things that drive the selection of a producer. But if you had to prioritize and say the factor that MOST influences your decision to go with a particular producer, what would it be?
Access to a specific model could be important. Especially when a specific skill or experience is wanted. Looks are less important (to a degree). The second point is also important: if I want a specific kind of fetish scene I'll consider producers having done that, or similar to that, in the past.
Strong endorsement: in the past I was disappointed by this kind of things.
As for costumes, I don't really care. I ask for some specific kinds of clothes (a leotard, for example) and maybe I'll give a preferred color, and that's it.
Production values are expensive so I don't want them. Sometimes I asked for a bit of specific detail (please make the video in a warehouse if you can, or use dry ice to create smoke, a character needs to make a phone call during the video...) but nothing more than that.
Fight choreography: not really interested in fights, but I want to see models struggle for real (as possible) in specific scenes (a chcl3 KO for example) so this is important in a way.
Attention to the script is very important, it has caused disappointments in the past. Today if I see the producer misunderstanding or not minding the details, I stop the project. Why it's so important? Because if I want to pay for a video, it means I can't find what I like in the market. So it's nonsense to pay the producer to make the same very thing he/she always does. So, the fetish scenes should be very close to details I give.
Turnaround time is not so important unless we're talking of several months.
Price is important but what I desire doesn't need anything very expensive. The one time I paid good money was the time I was disappointed the most.
Good vibe from the producer social media: I learned not to trust this at all.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

arkane wrote: 1 year ago Price is important but what I desire doesn't need anything very expensive. The one time I paid good money was the time I was disappointed the most.
Yeah, price is one of the weirdest things about the custom video world. I can appreciate the artistry that goes into super-cool productions with crazy-high production values, and I like watching some of those videos. But on the other hand, if I am the one commissioning the video, I've learned that high cost and my personal enjoyment of the final product do not track together well at all. My satisfaction with the product is driven mainly by how well the performers/producer got what I was looking for and how well they were able to implement the most crucial details of the script in the ways that I imagined/hoped. And neither one of those things, in my experience, has correlated with the cost I was quoted for making the video. I've commissioned videos across a broad range of costs (sub-200 to over 2 grand), and the hit-to-miss ratio seems pretty much the same at the top end, the low end, and everything in between. It's ALWAYS a gamble, always. And the odds of success don't escalate with escalating cost, at least for me. Some of my all-time favorite custom productions were quite expensive, but I've also got equal faves at the very bottom of the price range. Given this, it's become harder over the years for me to justify going for the high-cost productions, because I'm gambling way more money for the same odds of success, and success at high cost isn't inherently more satisfying than success at low cost--success is success, I either strongly like the final video or I don't. And with the same money that I could have used gambling on one high-cost production, I could gamble instead on 5 to 8 low to mid-cost productions and be far more likely to have a few winners among them. Also, it's just less disappointing to have a product not work out if it didn't break the bank to begin with, whereas it can be super frustrating to put down a lot of money and then regret it when it turns out the producers/performers just didn't quite get the script, or some totally unforeseen issue dramatically impedes my enjoyment of the video (bad lighting, camera angles that don't actually show what I most wanted to see, poorly fitting costume, or maybe just an off day for the model and things seem kinda flat and uninspired as they go through the motions, whatever it may be). I'm still tempted every now and then to return to the high end for a producer that really seems take great care with the details and perhaps has access to models that I especially like, but it's just tough to truly justify gambling that big.
User avatar
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by TIEnTEEZ »

WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago I do appreciate the reviews you've posted, TIEnTEEZ, but I also can see why not everybody wants to name names, especially if they have criticism, since it can unintentionally come across as trashing the producer and trying to harm their business, when maybe they're totally great for someone else's stuff. I think for this reason it seems easier or more comfortable for some people to only write positive reviews, which may still be totally honest reviews, but it just means you're only hearing from the happy fans and you don't know how many unhappy customers just aren't saying anything. So it's just hard to know how to weigh most of the customer reviews out there.
Reviews are tricky for any media, but especially for customs. You have to be very clear about what you are reviewing, and which parts of the review are your opinion or your personal taste and which are objective truth.

I would never post a review for a fight video. Because those aren't interesting to me. And there are customs that I have received where the producer gave me everything I asked for, and I still didn't like the video. Sometimes it's just because the performer didn't really "get it" and sometimes it was my own fault for writing a crappy script. And sometimes it's just that the script failed to get the ideas across properly. I recently had the same custom made by 3 different producers and they all sucked - so the fault is likely mine. It was probably a bad script. I've also had some really famous, professional, talented performers who just didn't get my fetish and there's just no accounting for that.

So a lot of the content of the video is very subjective. The experience of working with the producer, paying for, and receiving the video are much less subjective. If they don't give me what I asked for, are rude or late, or, of course, if they rip you off, those are things you can definitely put into a review.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago Reviews are tricky for any media, but especially for customs. You have to be very clear about what you are reviewing, and which parts of the review are your opinion or your personal taste and which are objective truth.
Agreed. This care doesn't seem to be taken by most reviewers.
TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago And there are customs that I have received where the producer gave me everything I asked for, and I still didn't like the video. Sometimes it's just because the performer didn't really "get it" and sometimes it was my own fault for writing a crappy script. And sometimes it's just that the script failed to get the ideas across properly.
It's definitely the case that the flaw is often with my own script. As explicit as I try to be about what I'm requesting, I can't always anticipate how the words I'm using to describe the request might reasonably be interpreted as something else by the producer or performer. Since I obviously know what I want to see, that's what I read my script to be calling for. It's often only after the fact, when the video doesn't come out the way I wanted, that I look back and realize that the producer and performer were faithfully implementing a totally legitimate interpretation of what I actually wrote, as opposed to what I *meant* to write. :sad: This is why I tend to wind up looking at custom videos as a process, rather than as one-off projects. I learn from mistakes and try to write clearer scripts, or use new ways of getting my meaning across (I often stick a lot of pictures in my scripts nowadays to show both what I *do* want and also what I want to have *avoided* in the final video). And if I think a producer is really trying to get things right but my script was the problem, I'm willing to keep trying with them, and eventually after a few tries things might really click with that producer, and we start speaking the same language, and they really DO know what I'm looking for. If that happens, then I can actually start backing down on the level of detail in subsequent scripts and can start giving the producer more general setups to work within, because they already know the details I like and don't need to have that stuff repeated in every script I send them. On the other hand, if we're not making headway after a couple tries, or if I don't think they're really interested to hear my feedback and fine tune things in subsequent videos, then it's time to move on.
Last edited by WarGriffin 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by TIEnTEEZ »

WarGriffin wrote: 1 year agothe producer and performer were faithfully implementing a totally legitimate interpretation of what I actually wrote, as opposed to what I *meant* to write. :sad:
Yeah, this happens to me a lot. Sometimes I think what I am writing is so clear and obvious and then I get the video and I can see they are trying to do something but it's not at all what I had in mind. And then I read what I wrote and I'm like... Oooooh... I see what they thought I meant. That always sucks.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, this happens to me a lot. Sometimes I think what I am writing is so clear and obvious and then I get the video and I can see they are trying to do something but it's not at all what I had in mind. And then I read what I wrote and I'm like... Oooooh... I see what they thought I meant. That always sucks.
The story of my custom-commissioning life. LOL (and cry out loud, too)
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

I also wonder if the producer and main performer being one in the same makes a difference in your thinking. When the performer that I'm looking for has her own production business, that can be a plus, in the sense that I only have one person to try to get on the same page with, as opposed to talking things over with the producer and then just *hoping* they correctly explain things to the performers. And if things go wrong, I only have one person to debrief with, as opposed to explaining the issues to the producer and having them tell me the performer was the problem, which may leave me wondering how much was truly the performer not being able to do what I requested and how much was the producer not conveying things properly. The lines of responsibility and communication are just simpler when you're directly talking to the performer from jump, because it's their business. But on the other hand, it seems like it can be tricky to both direct and star in the video, and I wonder sometimes if the model who owns the business is really able to pay adequate attention to coaching the other performer(s) and watching for their possible mistakes, since the model/producer is also busy focusing on her own performance and isn't seeing any of the action through the camera lens until after the fact. I'm not sure there's been a clear pattern of things turning out better or worse either way, in my experience, but it's something that I think about.
User avatar
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by TIEnTEEZ »

I've done both. I order basically two kinds of customs: superheroine videos and femdom POV videos. The former usually requires more than one performer, so I tend to use studios where the producer is separate from the performer (or there is at least one performer in addition to the producer). And for the latter, it's mostly just individual women who film themselves using a tripod - although I have occasionally delved into producers who make these kinds of videos with other performers.

There are, of course, advantages to having a separate producer, or even just a camera operator. For one thing... they can move the camera while the performer is performing. This is a relatively small thing, but it can make it seem like the viewer is more "real" and provide context in a PoV video. :)

As for which is "better", I don't think it matters all that much. If I think about my best, favorite customs, there's no clear pattern - they belong to a variety of categories.
User avatar
WarGriffin
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5
Posts: 48
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by WarGriffin »

TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago I've done both. I order basically two kinds of customs: superheroine videos and femdom POV videos. The former usually requires more than one performer, so I tend to use studios where the producer is separate from the performer (or there is at least one performer in addition to the producer). And for the latter, it's mostly just individual women who film themselves using a tripod - although I have occasionally delved into producers who make these kinds of videos with other performers.

There are, of course, advantages to having a separate producer, or even just a camera operator. For one thing... they can move the camera while the performer is performing. This is a relatively small thing, but it can make it seem like the viewer is more "real" and provide context in a PoV video. :)

As for which is "better", I don't think it matters all that much. If I think about my best, favorite customs, there's no clear pattern - they belong to a variety of categories.
Yep, agreed. I prefer a separate camera operator at least, but on the whole, no clear pattern. Can certainly work well either way.
User avatar
AshleyGraham
Sargeant
Sargeant
Posts: 147
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: ATL
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by AshleyGraham »

TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago Dunno if there is a single "biggest" factor. I've experimented with a lot of different scripts, models, and producers.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video
Focusing on one specific model has almost never worked out well for me. Unless I happen to get really lucky and I have a script ready to go just as a particular model is available, it's just not worth the trouble of focusing on ONE particular must-have model.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off
This is a big plus, yes. I like bondage and forced O and if a producer has no experience with those kinds of videos or tends to focus very heavily on some other factors (like fighting videos, which don't interest me), that will strong influence my decision.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer
This WOULD be great, except it's nearly impossible to get information from other customers. Even here on this forum, people rarely discuss customs or producers and their experiences. And when they do, I often find their recommendations are not very compelling because they might like that particular producer because of other factors on this list that aren't as important to me. There's a real shortage of customer reviews for this stuff... which I why I post recommendations a lot. :-P
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You like the costumes the producer has available
This one is kinda tricky. I would never order a video just because the producer has a particular costume I like. Worst-case scenario if I want a particular costume, I will find a producer I want for other reasons and then ask them to get it, even if it costs more.

On the other hand, having a stock or the ability to create costumes is always a plus. Cali Logan has improvised some really great costumes for me based on drawings and mockups I have made. They are not super-high-quality, but they get the job done and she's doesn't charge too much. :)
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer is capable of really high production values
To my mind, there aren't that many studios that even offer this. The only one I can think of that does REALLY serious production values is Lucia Films. I ordered a custom from them and it's amazing! But it's the only one I ever bought with really high production values and it was hella expensive, so I'm not sure I would do it again. Don't get me wrong, it was worth it, but I can't afford to do that too often.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography
I don't like fight videos, so this is not a thing for me.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details
This one right here could be the winner. A producer who asks questions, wants clarification, and wants to discuss the video before making it is a HUGE plus. This signifies that they want to get it right and give you what you want, and there's no substitute for that. Pretty much all the best customs I have purchased have this in common - well.. most of 'em.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer promises a fast turnaround time
I would rather have it done well than fast, so this is not an issue. In fact, if they promise to do it too fast, it's a red flag that they aren't going to do a very good job.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right)
This is another tricky one. I've gotten great videos at low prices (Cali Logan) and I've gotten great videos that were expensive (Lucia Films) and everywhere in between. Most of the time, it's not a question of the actual price but of what you actually GET for that price. I will pay more for stuff that's important to me, and that varies from video to video.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence
This one can be a trap. There's a big post here on the forums about my experience with Ashley Graham that I will not rehash here. But she used to frequent this board and she would lambast other producers for ripping people off or doing poor quality work and a host of other stuff. Then she took my money and disappeared for 4 years.

I guess most of the time, social media presence CAN be a good indicator of a producer's trustworthiness, but not always.


Which brings me to my final point... one other factor that you didn't list here is trustworthiness. This goes back to hearing reviews, experiences and recommendations from other customers. If I see ONE person post about how a producer didn't respond to an e-mail or took their money or screwed up their video and didn't make it right, I will think long and hard about doing business with that producer.
I emailed and was in contact w you. And explained the situation. WAy to paint me as the bad guy. I even sent you money over those years.
User avatar
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: 9 years ago
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: What is the biggest factor in choosing a custom video producer for your script?

Post by TIEnTEEZ »

AshleyGraham wrote: 1 month ago
TIEnTEEZ wrote: 1 year ago Dunno if there is a single "biggest" factor. I've experimented with a lot of different scripts, models, and producers.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer has access to a specific model you really want for the video
Focusing on one specific model has almost never worked out well for me. Unless I happen to get really lucky and I have a script ready to go just as a particular model is available, it's just not worth the trouble of focusing on ONE particular must-have model.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've seen something from the producer that is very similar to what you want, so you trust that they can pull it off
This is a big plus, yes. I like bondage and forced O and if a producer has no experience with those kinds of videos or tends to focus very heavily on some other factors (like fighting videos, which don't interest me), that will strong influence my decision.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You've heard strong endorsements from other customers that have used the producer
This WOULD be great, except it's nearly impossible to get information from other customers. Even here on this forum, people rarely discuss customs or producers and their experiences. And when they do, I often find their recommendations are not very compelling because they might like that particular producer because of other factors on this list that aren't as important to me. There's a real shortage of customer reviews for this stuff... which I why I post recommendations a lot. :-P
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You like the costumes the producer has available
This one is kinda tricky. I would never order a video just because the producer has a particular costume I like. Worst-case scenario if I want a particular costume, I will find a producer I want for other reasons and then ask them to get it, even if it costs more.

On the other hand, having a stock or the ability to create costumes is always a plus. Cali Logan has improvised some really great costumes for me based on drawings and mockups I have made. They are not super-high-quality, but they get the job done and she's doesn't charge too much. :)
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer is capable of really high production values
To my mind, there aren't that many studios that even offer this. The only one I can think of that does REALLY serious production values is Lucia Films. I ordered a custom from them and it's amazing! But it's the only one I ever bought with really high production values and it was hella expensive, so I'm not sure I would do it again. Don't get me wrong, it was worth it, but I can't afford to do that too often.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer puts a lot of effort into intricate fight choreography
I don't like fight videos, so this is not a thing for me.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer responded to your initial inquiry with clarifying questions and suggestions, so that you could tell they'd read the script carefully and were paying attention to the details
This one right here could be the winner. A producer who asks questions, wants clarification, and wants to discuss the video before making it is a HUGE plus. This signifies that they want to get it right and give you what you want, and there's no substitute for that. Pretty much all the best customs I have purchased have this in common - well.. most of 'em.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The producer promises a fast turnaround time
I would rather have it done well than fast, so this is not an issue. In fact, if they promise to do it too fast, it's a red flag that they aren't going to do a very good job.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -The quote is comparatively low (i.e., the price is right)
This is another tricky one. I've gotten great videos at low prices (Cali Logan) and I've gotten great videos that were expensive (Lucia Films) and everywhere in between. Most of the time, it's not a question of the actual price but of what you actually GET for that price. I will pay more for stuff that's important to me, and that varies from video to video.
WarGriffin wrote: 1 year ago -You get a good vibe from the producer's social media posts/presence
This one can be a trap. There's a big post here on the forums about my experience with Ashley Graham that I will not rehash here. But she used to frequent this board and she would lambast other producers for ripping people off or doing poor quality work and a host of other stuff. Then she took my money and disappeared for 4 years.

I guess most of the time, social media presence CAN be a good indicator of a producer's trustworthiness, but not always.


Which brings me to my final point... one other factor that you didn't list here is trustworthiness. This goes back to hearing reviews, experiences and recommendations from other customers. If I see ONE person post about how a producer didn't respond to an e-mail or took their money or screwed up their video and didn't make it right, I will think long and hard about doing business with that producer.
I emailed and was in contact w you. And explained the situation. WAy to paint me as the bad guy. I even sent you money over those years.
You sent me back a tiny fraction of what I paid, 4 years after the original order, after making multiple promises to pay me back in full much sooner. Then you disappeared for years more, made more promises to pay me back that you did not keep, disappeared again. And even now, for some weird reason, you are responding a post that is over a YEAR old, just to re-open old wounds.

I'm sorry you have personal troubles. I'm sorry your model cancelled on you. But you are running a business and you are an adult and are responsible for paying what you owe. *I* have no responsibility to pay *your* medical bills. But you took my money and that's what you spent it on. You can't just take someone's money and use it for your own purposes and give them nothing in return and then just wash your hands of it like it's not your problem. That's not how life, business, or anything in the real world works.

I'm not painting you as anything. I am telling people about my experience dealing with you. If that paints you as the bad guy, then that's because you are the bad guy.
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests